Best games to play ON the Pandora

I'm sure there will be plenty of great games on my Pandora, but let's face it. At the end of the day, I always come back to...

megaman-3-title-screen.gif

SotN is a excellent I've finished it on the Pandora (already mentioned that in another thread).

There are probably ton's of great SNES / Playstation game I haven't played yet. I've been mainly playing on my computer when I was young...

Supertux is quite fun... played a bit recently. My personal favourite platformer has to be SMB3.

ScummVM is a must. Haven't actually spend too much time with it on the Pandora but I really want to play though Broken Sword sometime.

I would also recommend Sam & Max and most of the Lucasart game.

Now the key mappings have been fixed, Pinball Dreams (Nightmare table) on UAE4All. Awesome.

Only problem is, I lost enough time to it back in the 90's. Being able to play it on the go is dangerous.

I would also recommend Sam & Max and most of the Lucasart game.
Particularly "Day of the Tentacle"

"Nonsence! I feel stronger, more aggressive..." etc., etc...

1. Cave Story (I think you need to play it through something called Ginge.)

Oh my crikey, Cave Story absolutely. Disregarding the nintendo port (which I think was for the Wii anyway or was it for the DS?) it's been one of the games I truly can't wait to sit on a train and play. The depth both in size of game and gentle emotion is remarkeable.

With regards to the PCSXreARMed playstation emulator (and this is probably the most NEWB question), I have masses of my playstation discs so legally feel justified in hunting out the games but where do I find them? Like I say I'm aware that this feels like information you need to be initiated into the community to access but I might as well naively ask.

Lovely sunny day here, hope it is with you

x

x

[…] I have masses of my playstation discs so legally feel justified in hunting out the games but where do I find them?[…]

You'll have to rip your CDs yourself, downloading ISOs is considered as illegal download. (at least in my country)

There are loads of free ripping softwares available.

(Infrarecorder for windows and

on linux, you could use the following command in the console

Code:
cat /dev/scd0 > /home/[yourDirectory]/test.iso
)

Last edited by a moderator:
@KodeIn

Thanks so much, that's exactly what I needed to know!!! Wonderful!

Now all I need is my pando... oh, sorry, let's not start that one again....

Oh my crikey, Cave Story absolutely. Disregarding the nintendo port (which I think was for the Wii anyway or was it for the DS?) it's been one of the games I truly can't wait to sit on a train and play. The depth both in size of game and gentle emotion is remarkeable.

I'm pretty sure a Wiiware version of Cave Story has already been released, and they're working on a DS version at the moment. Legend has it that the people (not Pixel) who are making the ports botched the graphics and music -- looking online they pretty much removed a lot of the classic 'retro' feel it had.

As for the gentle emotion, I can say the game really tugs at your heart when....

...after fighting the core the first time (which took me a few times, it was my first time through the game) you're actually forced to leave Curly behind because she saves your life. I was playing, and I simply didn't want to do it. And then you leave, the door dramatically closes behind you, and that dark 'Geothermal' theme plays. It was sad!

Of course you eventually realize that you don't have to pick up the booster right away, and have a chance to save her. Pixel gets a billion points for pulling at the emotions of a 24 year old guy.

Anyways, it's a good game. If you have your Pandora, and you haven't played Cave Story yet, do so. That's an order!

It's difficult to say really, as our esteemed colleague Prometheus notes; most games really do feel as though they were made for this thing. So here are some of my favourites that I'm playing right now, and which emus they're on:

PCSXreARMed (we need to shorten this name for referencing!):

Dark forces - works like a charm, and it's bloody good fun.

Front Mission 3 - Tactical mech combat, and it's flippin' great.

Parappa the rappa - as long as you can remember what the PSX button layouts are. Still make me laugh 'kick, punch, it's all in the mind!'

Snes:

Earthbound - This is such an off the wall game, the humour is a really refreshing and it really is a nice break from all of those ridiculous cookie cutter jrpgs (seriously, one more 17 year old protagonist with spikey hair and I'm going to turn into a foul smelling cloud of steam), and it's really excellent to play on the Pando.

UAE:

Indy Heat - The very first game that I tried when I got my unit, and I had to complete it. I don't care what anyone else says, Indy Heat is one of my most beloved games. I really have a soft spot for isometric racing.

Captive - you'll need a mouse to enjoy it properly imho, and probably a quick nose through the manual, but it's such a cool game.

Native:

Streets of rage remake - as others have said, it's an extremely worthy addition to the SOR universe.

Beat of rage - Plays very well, and some of the mods work too, or you can make your own if you're that way inclined.

Heretic/Hexen - Once you've got the controls set up to your liking they're deliriously good fun.

(which I think was for the Wii anyway or was it for the DS?)
There were versions for both WiiWare and DSiWare, although the latter was not, to my knowledge, released outside of North America. There's also Cave Story 3D in the works for the 3DS, which is part port, part new-stuff. :p

I love that game. It's seriously awesome. (I suppose that should come as no surprise. I've observed that an awful lot of Mega Man fans seem to gel with it right away.)

[…] I have masses of my playstation discs so legally feel justified in hunting out the games but where do I find them?[…]

You'll have to rip your CDs yourself, downloading ISOs is considered as illegal download. (at least in my country)

There are loads of free ripping softwares available.

(Infrarecorder for windows and

on linux, you could use the following command in the console

Code:
cat /dev/scd0 > /home/[yourDirectory]/test.iso
)
To follow this up, I would suggest that ripping to bin/cue would be more beneficial in some cases, as you generally won't lose any data as you do with .iso. This is quickest and easiest on a Linux system - the command for this requires cdrdao to be installed, and it's as follows;

Code:
cdrdao read-cd --read-raw --datafile ChosenFilename.bin --device /dev/cdrom --driver generic-mmc-raw SameAsChosenFilename.cue

If it doesn't work, try changing --device /dev/cdrom to --device ATAPI:0,0,0 or --device ATAPI:1,2,0 instead.

(seriously, one more 17 year old protagonist with spikey hair and I'm going to turn into a foul smelling cloud of steam)
You forgot the ridiculously exaggerated weaponry, the cliched lines, and the teenage angst. ;) (Now I get to watch you explode, don't I? :p )

Quick .., someone make a video of really awesome pandora running stuff ;)

(Dungeon Master native port (from Atari ST/Amiga game), my BattleJewels game ;) , Wesnoth, I'd say)

jeff

Quick .., someone make a video of really awesome pandora running stuff ;)

(Dungeon Master native port (from Atari ST/Amiga game), my BattleJewels game ;) , Wesnoth, I'd say)

jeff

Here's our good friend Evil Dragon playing Wesnoth:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/VpolKx1bdYI?start=196&feature=oembed

He really shouldn't leave his Elvish Scout out in the open like that.

Edit: Jump ahead to the 3 minute mark. Apparently the boards don't support the time parameter when embedding the video. Or I'm doing it wrong.

that's strange, but I find myself playing most "lotus II turbo esprit" in UAE and freedroid.pnd from PNDstore

I still didn't have time to run adom, but eventually I will.

in fact my most used "game" is called ssh. I use it 80% of time in the bus. It lets my play with my servers, cluster and other funny stuff :) edit: It's even better than playing uplink :)

Back