4ke4cg.png

DAREDEVIL DENNIS

2j48q43.png

Q*BERT

dzb235.png

CRAZY PAINTER

30a535x.png

What were your favourites?

Castle Quest looks cool, I'll have to have a go at that. Daredevil Dennis, too. Never played a Beeb before, although I imagine Granny's Garden and Repton will pop up on this thread sooner or later :)

^ Granny's Garden is the one I was going to suggest, so indeed it will pop up. :lol:

Granny's Garden - Educational/Adventure - Jokingly referred to by some as "The Original Survival Horror Classic", due to the horrifying (no, really) wicked witch who spends her time chasing you around the game (and who will SEND YOU HOME AT ONCE if she catches you), Granny's Garden is an educational game which was widely used in British schools throughout the 1980s and early 1990s. It contains various logic puzzles and bits of problem-solving, and most people never seem to forget the surprisingly difficult part with the baby dragons (which, in my scientifical testing, has proven that it can be tricky even for an adult). It holds up surprisingly well today - it's not all just fond memories influenced by nostalgia.

I must say, Castle Quest and Daredevil Dennis look rather good. I'll have to track those down. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooh, has someone ported an emulator?

Exile

2d action adventure with a strong physics slant. Later ported to Amiga.

exile_bbc_micro_title.gif
exile_bbc_micro_stealing_power_pod.gif

Chuckie Egg

Just like the Spectrum version, but with slightly different physics, and the bird doesn't kill you while still caged.

chuckie-egg1.gif

Vortex

Into-the-screen 3D shooter. Pretty cool for its day.

vortex1.gif

Frak!

Stupidly hard platformer. Worth playing for the music, and a protagonist who swears when he dies.

frak1.gif

Imogen

Thoroughly charming platforming puzzler. A Windows port was made a few years ago, but I prefer the monochrome look of the original.

91.png

Thrust

Physics-based shooter. Also ported to other systems, but IMO it works best on the Beeb.

0.jpg

There's plenty of other games which are decent ports of arcade games, or games from other platforms that you can already play on Pandora. Planetoid is worth playing still - it's a slightly more forgiving Defender clone, and looks (and sounds) the biz.

Oh yeah - Exile! I love the other versions, would like to check out the original.

Elite

flying with your Cobra

I even have a Dos version, for DOS 2.0 or later ;)

for:

IBM/TANDY PC and compatibles (512 k)

Dos version 2.0 or later - Microsoft / Amstrad mouse options

colour graphics adapter.

The only problem is that is on a 5,25" disk :)

P.S.

If someone wants to by a Beeb (model B ), i have one spare.

I remember playing and enjoying the following on my mates BBC in '85 or so:

Starship Command

Citadel

Revs

Aviator

Elite (of course!)

Sentinel (awesome game).

Never tried BBC under emulation, some I'm definitely interested in a Pandora emu ;)

Some of my favourites:

- Freefall, written by Ian Bell (co-author of Elite) - an awesome spinning cross-genre game of mayhem

- Dunjunz - a four player (at the same time on the keyboard!) gauntlet type game

- Firetrack - incredible (for it's time) StarForce clone written by Orlando (of Frak! fame)

- Revs - 3D racing game written by Geoff Crammond (who went on to write loads of F1 games)

- Starship Command - space combat with a twist - your ships stays upright in the centre and everything else moves...

Just seen gren's post above - that will teach me to spend over two hours responding to a post...

Man, the BBC-B was the first computer I ever used as a kid. The only games I can remember are

- Granny's Garden (Ubiquitous, wiki page here)

- Lords of Time (Level-9 text Adventure, wiki page here)

- Clogger (Impact-Soft arcade game)

and

- Andriod (my favourite of the bunch, but I can't find any info on it - might have to dig out the old 5 1/4 disk. There are two other games out there called android, but they're not it).

I must say, when my unit finally arrives, the first game that's gonna be played on it will probably be GG. I'll see if I can find some screens.

hunchback1.gif
Hunchback, I never actually completed it.

Couldn't control the game on the GP2X.

Frak also.

I remember playing the msx port of hunchback :) nice game

Wasn't Hunchback one of the earliest officially licensed coin-ops? From Century if I recall correctly.

Loved the speccy version - Christian Urquhart did a pretty good job. Although I actually preferred Punchy back in the day - "watch the baby!"

Ummm... Am I missing something here ? I can't find either a ported BBC emulator for the Pandora or any mention of anyone planning to do one.

Ummm... Am I missing something here ? I can't find either a ported BBC emulator for the Pandora or any mention of anyone planning to do one.
I've not heard of one. Beebem was on the port requests wiki and MESS is still there which can do BBC Micro apparently, but I've not heard that anyone is working on them.

I think this thread is for sharing recommendations in advance of a port, this time. :p (To my knowledge, there isn't an emulator just yet.)

Repton, Elite and Chuckie Egg :D .

I've not heard of one. Beebem was on the port requests wiki and MESS is still there which can do BBC Micro apparently, but I've not heard that anyone is working on them.

Hmmm, I did a quick compile of Beebem a very long time ago during the development (from David Gilbert's *NIX tree), I assumed by now someone would have done a decent port/compile. Not sure if I even still have the binaries hanging around (it would pre-date it being in a PND by about a year ;) ). I'll see what I can find.

Failing that, any reason the GP2X build will not run under Gringe?

It may well run under GINGE, but I guess that wouldn't have access to the full keyboard which would be a shame (but good enough for most of the games posted in this thread).

For the record, I've just built Dave Egglestone's latest version of BeebEm for SDL on Ubuntu x86-32 and that seems to run okay, if a little slowly on my netbook. The 6502 emulation code looks like it hasn't been specifically optimised for x86 in my very limited opinion, but I don't know how well it'd run on the Pandora.

Back