Besides gaming, what do you use your pandora for?

TDT

Hey all,

I rarely use my pandora, and when I do, it's only for limited gaming on emulators. I'm curious. What do people do, on their pandora, on a daily/near daily basis? Trying to figure out better ways of integrating it with my lifestyle, especially since we're looking at maybe 6 months before the Pyra is around. Some development, on it, is something I want to obviously do...but what else?

Thanks

@ekianjo has done a series on this, e.g.
http://pandoralive.info/?p=2883
http://pandoralive.info/?p=4967
http://pandoralive.info/?p=1843

Edit: Back in the days when I used the Pandora on a daily basis, I'd...
- tether to n900 for internets at work
- use Firefox plugin to download anime
- play loads of POWDER. I'm still terrible at it :D
- take notes in meetings
- do baby steps in C++
- try my hand at pixel graphics in Gimp

"Coolest" thing was doing a parser in PHP for work stuff and uploading that to private webspace with FileZilla, making it available for colleagues within a day, not having to go through official channels.
And music just sounds better coming from the pandora. MPS is an awesome application.

So much powerful software. It's hard not to love it. I eventually left it at home because of the lame browsing performance on the CC model, my patience just ran out.

Last edited:
Mostly, "photoshop-on-the-go" (with Paint.net), organizing and word-commenting snapshots, I do this nearly everyday, sometimes for hours, and carrying google docs lists around with me (rather than carrying the printouts).

Back then, in my modest contribution to the ekianjo blog, I had additionally:
1. guitar tuning
2. BBC listening via Wlan (as opposed to via shortwave radio)
3. doing microphone recordings
4. plain book reading
(1) I do by ear now, (2) I´m a radiofan and the conditions are good so no need for internet radio for me atm, and (3) I´m afraid, after firmware upgrades, stopped working for me, so I use a microphone at the PC now. I do not know why I stopped with (4) - I still have no actual ebook reader. Let wintertime approach.

Reactions: TDT
i love writing game prototypes on the go and trying to get people to test them :D since the pandora is my target system anyway, i can test performance, ui layout etc without having to copy stuff around all the time :)

other stuff:
1. listening to music (phone's battery can't handle a whole work day without dying on the way home)
2. pixel art (mostly animation timing fixes and color corrections)
3. reading online articles without the websites switching into badly designed mobile mode layouts
4. using it as a tea timer (yeah, kind of lame :$ but works fine)

1: Video playback: Kodi or The Tube for youtube
3: Remote work, ssh and/or VNC viewer amazing amount of my real work can be done on the Pandora.
4: light web browsing: Pale Moon
5: Music: MPS or deadbeef
6: Use code:blocks PND and the CLI interface for compiling things.

I use my Pandora as my always-on device with irc, and/or a game loaded
On vacations I always bring it as it's the ultimate tinker toy.
On the go I use it for playing music, some pixeling and assembly coding for the C64

After all those years, i still use my pandora daily. It's so versatile that i never go anywhere without it.

- It contain all my iso's used to rescue / reinstalls 90% of machines so it pretty usefull when someone want me to fix their shit XD.
- It's my alarm clock thanks to its wtf battery life, i can even leave it unplugged for days and still use it without worry of running out of power.
- Gaming whenever im stuck somewhere / waiting (star control 2 lately)
- I use it to monitor the status of the servers i maintain with a few simple scripts and alarms when something is wrong.
- Having it always on me mean i can use it to access ssh on servers i manage from just about anywhere so long as i have wifi access or my 3g wifi thingy.

anything else i end up needing while im not near a full blown computer/computer cant be used (browsing for doc on a crash, downloading a missing driver etc). I honestly can't wait for the pyra, but as of yet i am still pretty happy with my 1ghz pandora (and my 3 regular ones for spare parts XD).

The biggest perk by far on the pandora vs using a phone is just how long the battery can last. Especially when combined to the absolute control we have over it (i wrote scripts to underclock my pandora depending on what i do to save power, force the screen off etc). I rarely get less than 80hours battery time on my pandora before i need to recharge and often go in the 130-140hours (not intensive use mind you), but the fact that i dont have to worry about charging it every day and that i know its battery will last me a while is great. Even if the battery is at 15% i know it will last more than long enough for me to do whatever i needed to do until i reach a point where i can charge it xD.

Fraid so, Farox. I have two CCs by now, all latest firmware, and had no luck with either one. Don´t worry :)

Lately I've been playing a lot of poker, but besides that, my three everyday uses are:

1. Music and podcasts.
2. Development (mainly Lua in Zerobrane Studio with a little Python, C/C++, and bash in Geany)
3. Reading graphic novels and manga with either Comix or PIV.

Hi all :)

In no particular order:

- ssh / mosh to remote servers I administrate
- Light development (bash mostly) with Geany
- Compiling / porting stuff with Code::Blocks
- Listening to my FLAC encoded metal albums with QMMP
- Reading e-mails with Claws mail
- Monitoring my work through a web interface with Otter browser or Qupzilla
- Chating with colleagues over ICQ with Pidgin or IRC with XChat
- Reading PDF docs with QPDF
- Reading Public Domain ebooks with Coolreader
- Light word processing with Abiword, FocusWriter and LibreOffice

Many thanks to @ptitSeb and @canseco who provided the bulk of packages I'm using on a daily basis for work :)

EDIT: and thanks to all the other developers too !

Cheers, Magic Sam

IRC, casual browsing, Youtube using the tube, gaming, programming on the go (usually via SSH to my desktop where I have emacs and other stuff set up to how I want it and can continue where I left off), listening to music, notetaking on lectures and probably a bunch of other stuff I'm not remembering right now. After 2 years I still use it more or less every day.

Fraid so, Farox. I have two CCs by now, all latest firmware, and had no luck with either one. Don´t worry
Uhmm just tested with my CC and firmware 1.75(update2) and it works....maybe you have flashed your Pandora's and forgot to re-enable the mics?

Sorry for OT.
Doesn´t even boot, Farox :(
Here is the pnd runout, if it´s of any help. In all likelihood, I have overlooked something obvious, this would be total me :)

=======================================================================================
PND : /media/PANDORA/pandora/menu/mhwaveedit.pnd
PND_FSTYPE : Squashfs
APPDATADIR : /media/PANDORA/pandora/appdata/pndmanager
APPDD_FSTYPE : vfat
PND_CPUSPEED : <unset>
EXENAME : scripts/mhwaveedit.sh
ARGUMENTS : <unset>
=======================================================================================
[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------
Mounting : mount -t squashfs -o ro "/dev/loop1" "/mnt/utmp/mhwaveedit"
Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/PANDORA/pandora/appdata/mhwaveedit=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/mhwaveedit=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/mhwaveedit"
[SUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------
[ START ]--- Starting the application ( scripts/mhwaveedit.sh ) ----------
./bin/mhwaveedit: error while loading shared libraries: libesd.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[ FAILED]--- Starting the application ( scripts/mhwaveedit.sh ) ----------
[ START ]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------
[SUCCESS]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------
[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------
[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------
[SUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------
rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/mhwaveedit': Device or resource busy
[ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------
[SUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------
cleanup done
[SUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------
Return code is : 4

Ok but you have the second release or the first ?
the first PND is called <mhwaveedit-1.4.22.pnd>
the second i released is called <mhWaveEdit_b2.pnd>
both are available from the repo, but best if you could try with the latest one.

I use it every day for

- internet (browsing and email)
- watching video
- listening music
- Sudoku
- testing software (now Slackware -current)
- watching/recording tv with dvb-t stick
- using MediathekView to download videos
- programming Arduino and Linux board

Back