How do you use your Pandora?

lordbobjones

Just thought I would stop lurking long enough to post a meaningful conversation point.  

How do you use your Pandora?   What real life roles does our beloved little computer help you with?

I will go first.

My Pandora gets used daily in limited fashion, mostly in listening to music while I work out or while working at my desk.  If I get a quiet moment in the evening, I will sometimes drop some old school retro emu gaming.

When I travel, the Pandora takes on a whole new life.  I rarely travel with my laptop anymore.   Instead my Pandora becomes my traveling companion and handles much of my work load.  On the train or plane, I work on reports, update spreadsheets, answer email, watch movies, listen to music, play games, and whatever else catches my fancy.   Plus I love to drop back into my early years by playing some old school Atari 800 or Atari ST games.   GBA emulations pops up when I am in the mood for some Pokemon.  I would not have as much fun traveling as I do today with out this trusty friend.

I am glad I found the Pandora.  It has made traveling so much easier. 

The usual really, whiling away a bus journey with games, videos or music, using it as an emergency charger for my other devices + testing out random tat I buy off the Internet, most recently this.

Emulation . Eventually someday coding . Soon to be movie and web surfing . Showing off my epic nerdy manager boss-ness .

Recently been using it as a video streamer with my TV out cable and an old CRT next to my desk in my home office.. makes working from home a tad bit more tolerable.. I've been using Netflix with the Android Gingerbread PND or just playing AVIs from my samba server using Smplayer2. I do have a cable hitched to my DLP projector and it looks fantastic, the CRT is just closer to my desk..

Other uses.
- Kindle reader... I've read about 6 novels on the Pandora since the Gingerbread PND was released.
- Work, been using it to log into various unix/linux boxes.. some times I need to tail a log file or check or modify a cron job.. etc

- Well gaming on the go.. mostly native apps, some emulation..

I use my Pandora for pretty much everything. Note taking, essay writing, emulation and native game playing. Writing Python amd Java code, remote servicing my various servers, musuc listening, movie watching and book reading as well. So far I've read 350 books on my Pandora, and watched about 12 tv-shows, 35 movies and written 16 essays. So far it has been very useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
With my hands.
*snickers*

I tend to mostly use it for playing puzzle games. SGT-puzzles is probably my most used PND.

I also use it for occasional web browsing while I'm watching TV (usually imdb in that case)

I use it as a kindle reader too, though I normally do it through Firefox and the Cloud Reader rather than through Android.

I also use it to remotely operate other computers around the house through ssh and VNC.

- Neelix

as a trusty companion. whatever it is im doing, pandora finds a way to help me do that as my trusty steed-penis in anus

It's my go-to device... the screen of my laptop died about a year ago and i haven't fixed it or bought a new one... because i actually haven't missed it. Thank you Pandora ;)

I've read numerous books on it.

Watch movies/series almost everyday.

It has my entire music collection on it, so wherever I am I can (with the right cables) use it as a media source.

The odd bit of gaming here and there.

Funny how for those of us that use our Pandoras regularly - gaming doesn't seem to be the focus. :)

Which is why reviews that focus on it as an emulation machine are so misleading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Mostly with my thumbs, sometimes with mouse, keyboard and DisplayLink.

Usage is everything:

- Music

- PSX emulation

- Work for university

- Pandora stuff (Learning how the OS works, playing with xfce ...)

- Different OS (Slackware, Pandebian, Andoid, Zaxxon)

no, actually, I'm using my pandora as an interestfree lown for craigix

I use my Pandora for school work. And music on the go. I mostly save and edit documents on it. I als

I use my Pandora mostly for coding-on-the-go (train, bus, tram, plane). I wrote System Info and Microbes from scratch, completely on the Pandora.

Besides coding, I use it to read mails and chat on IRC, e.g. while taking a bath.

I also use it to take notes at meetings.

I use it for browsing, to read pdf files or other documents, to quickly do some minor image manipulation - but only if I have no bigger-screen device nearby. If I do have a bigger screen available, I prefer to do those things with a big screen.

I use it to have pictures and movies of my baby daughter with me at all times.

I use it to listen to music from time to time.

Finally I also use it to play games :)

Oh look I'm back, possibly with a more sensible answer this time.

Up until recently I've used mostly SNES, Giana Returns (completed), Angry Birds (almost complete), VVVVVV (completed) and more recently, Cannonball. I also watch the odd TV show from time to time too. As well as various emulators (everything from VICE to Picodrive & SNES emulation)

I installed PSXrearmed yesterday (gonna play Nightmare Creatures right through this time, and have a fair stab at Rage Racer & Ridge Racer Type 4, and possibly Final Fantasy VII (I must be mad, I bought it 13 years ago and NEVER PLAYED IT YET!!!!) ).

Once I get AGA Amiga emulation going (will start on it next weekend), I suspect I won't be able to put it down. Ever.

How do I use My Pandora?

Let me count the ways...not in any specific order...

1. Retro-gaming

2. Listening to music

3. I use Libre Office and NoteCasePro in my business life.

4. I had some custom apps made for my business.

5. I use qOrganizer for my daily and business life

6. I play around a bit with PandaBAS, programming in BASIC, just because it's fun to mess around with. similarly, I also use the TRS-80 emulator to program on, just for the nostalgia (a Trash 80 was my very first compy, becak when I was nine years old)

7. Future use - watching Video - one I get a video program that works with my TV-Out Cable

And all this just scratches the surface, there's a lot of little odds and ends I also use my Pandy for...but those are the major things I guess.

Good heavens, a PandaBAS user. How quaint :)

For myself, it's music while walking the dog coupled with Brogue on the sofa and the odd bit of coding in Lazarus when I'm away from the PC.

D.

Back