Release Barony: Blessed Addition

@ptitSeb : you seem to be right about GL speed being the limiting factor.

Here is the output of "sudo perf top" on my Rebirth @ 825 MHz, at the entrance of level 2 (~5 FPS):
9.67% libGLES_CM.so.1.10.2359475 [.] 0x3ddc
9.15% barony [.] checkTileForEntity(int, in
8.75% barony [.] checkObstacle(long, long,
4.29% barony [.] actMonster(Entity*)
3.70% libc-2.9.so [.] memset
3.64% barony [.] gameLogic()
2.73% libc-2.9.so [.] memcpy
2.71% perf [.] 0x34570
2.66% libc-2.9.so [.] 0x67f14
2.33% libopenal.so.1 [.] Mix_Neon
2.06% libGL.so.1 [.] draw_renderlist
1.82% barony [.] getItemsOnTile(int, int, l
1.50% barony [.] Entity::getStats()
1.49% libopenal.so.1 [.] MixSource
1.31% barony [.] _Z12barony_clearffP6Entity
1.19% libasound.so.2.0.0 [.] snd_pcm_lfloat_convert_flo
1.19% [unknown] [.] 0xffff0fc4
1.17% libvorbisidec.so.1 [.] mdct_backward
1.06% libm-2.9.so [.] 0x26ee4
1.03% barony [.] actTrapPermanent(Entity*)

Those Entity entries that used to eat so much resources are much lighter now, thanks :)

@ptitSeb EDIT: I'll try to experiment with LIBGL settings in your run script, see if it changes anything.

EDIT 2: @ptitSeb : I tried almost every LIBGL options, but I couldn't get even a single extra FPS out of them :(

Cheers, Magic Sam

Last edited:
I have updated again the beta PND.

This thime, I have found that the minimap was creatings hundreds (really!) of draw command. I batched that.

The result is now much better, and frame rates mostly doubled (at least) on my side :D

More feedback is welcome :)

@ptitSeb : I confirm, this build is much better :)

~20 FPS @ 1 GHz before entering the dungeon, a little less when you are inside, but it's definitely playable now !

Thank you very much :D

Cheers, Magic Sam

Now, I would be interested in knowing if that build is stable.

If yes, I'll push some of the changes upstream (the hash map and minimap optim).

Finally found some minutes to test.
First impression is the game is more fast with your latest changes (all test @600 Mhz), but i noted a small grafx bug, this "dark grey cubes" (maybe libGL related ) as you can see on the shots attached:

barony_2.png
barony_1.png

Thanks.

Mmm, ok. May be related to some tentative optimization. Not sure those optims are worth it anyway. I'll probably go back on that one unless I found an obvious bug causing this.

Hi all :)

@ptitSeb : I played Barony (that's a great game, I love the music) some more this evening, and...

- I noticed some kind of white screen when you go down one level. It lasts only for a few seconds.
- The mouse cursor is way too small IMHO (a mere dot). Could you please make it a bit larger ?
- Gamma is not always restored to default upon exit.

The port looks pretty stable, no crashes so far.

Cheers, Magic Sam

unfortunaly i do not own the Game.
Is there any Demoversion for testing?
I found a Barony Demoversion but this Version did not work because Problems with Languages Files.

I have update the beta PND of Barony.

The cursor is bit larger (if you still find it to small, look at the file appdata/barony/game/cross.png, that's the new cursor. Give me a bigger one and I'll change it in the PND).

I think most issue you are seeing are caused by the optimisation I'm trying to code in gl4es. I have updated the version. I didn't witness any prblem plyaing the game (but the optim is still not bugfree, as I have seen some issue while testing Eternal Lands).

@ptitSeb: your new version works well, thank you very much !

I noticed some performance drop (FPS < 10) in level 2, when the Minotaur appears (its model is quite large).

Could you please have a look at it ?

Cheers, Magic Sam

Mmm, I'll check, but I don't think the model is the issue (models are a bit long to load, but they are simplified once loaded, and drawn with a single command). The issue is probably in the "logic" of the Minotaur, rather then the drawing. I may have other optim ideas but not sure yet, I have to dig a bit more.

@ptitSeb: I agree with you about the logic issue. I had similar performance drops in level 1, when ~6 big spiders were trapped together in a small room, or in level 2 when several wizards from the Zap brigade tried to help me defeat the Minotaur.

Cheers, Magic Sam

Blimey, logic slowness in a rougelike? What the hell are they doing?
It's more an Action RPG than a simple roguelike. There are many creatures and guys in the level, doing stuffs, helping you, or trying to kill you...

Last edited:
Hi all !

I "almost" survived the Minotaur, thanks to a blessed ring of teleportation... ;)

Cheers, Magic Sam

I really like this game ! Thanks again @ptitSeb for porting it to the Pandora !

Did you have time to work on some "logic" optimizations lately ?

Cheers, Magic Sam

I really like this game ! Thanks again @ptitSeb for porting it to the Pandora !

Did you have time to work on some "logic" optimizations lately ?

Cheers, Magic Sam
I have started, but it's not finished, so I don't know yet if it will help or not. (also most of the optims I have done are pushed upstream :) ).

@ptitSeb : yeah, I checked their github account this morning and noticed all your PR were being accepted upstream :) Congatulations ! They will prove beneficial to a larger number of players, not only Pandorians.

Cheers, Magic Sam

P.S: if you need a beta tester for those "logic" optimizations, you know where to find me ;)

P.S.2: do all entities share the same logic code ? Or is there one logic code per entity ?

Back