Bacteria's Gp2X Mod - Project 1

Just finished watching the video, no audio as the net cafe I am in has some ugly huge headphones on my machine and looks quite ridiculous when on. I am very sure you give the details there. But anyway, nice work on this project! I still need to get me some tools and parts, and a decent camera to document the mod, but I am still interested in doing it. It will at first only be the D-pad though, the battery thing will have to wait...

Gonna keep an eye out on project 2 now.

@Burbruee: I am not sure, but Bacteria seemed to avoid removing the round part. In fact he was apparently using it for holding the d-pad in place. But I don't actually know so you'll have to wait for him to confirm it...

bacteria said:
Ok, put some emulators on the SD card, loaded up Gradius 3 on the SNES emulator (boy, that works full speed now - not used my GP2x since the end of 2006, judging by my backups), and the battery only lasted 2 hours. Either the battery doesn't hold the amps it claims (possible); or the GP2x takes about the same current on 2.4v as 3.7v. So, i'm going to have to try one more mod on the GP2x - put in a second PSP battery in parallel - if that doesn't yield 4-5 hours playtime, I don't know what will!

I think there is just about enough space to put a second one in the GP2x casing....
Duracell rechargeable AA batteries, the hybrid type, last 5 hours and are standard and will always be available. To me, the AA batteries are the NUMBER 1 feature of the gp2x. All the wiz's out there are going to be useless in another year or 2 unless some replacement batteries become available. OTOH, AA batteries have been available for about 50 years and very likely to be available for another 50 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
bacteria said:
I had a GP2x F100 which i've modded for this, and the silver was from the GP2x F200 model. The silver is not painted, the console was white and silver, the black F100 case was spray painted though.

I got 4 hours 10 mins. Probably doesn't help that Li-ions cut out at about 2.8v, so although the GP2x can work lower than that, the batteries can't. Fully charged, the Li-ions are 4.1v, work fine in the GP2x (using the solder points from the battery area).

I never got more than an hour or two if lucky on NiMH cells, with branded quality ones.

To recharge the Li-ions takes around a couple of hours, will time it tomorrow. Li-ions, unlike NiMH retain their charge too and don't drain current and voltage when not used; so there are benefits for using Li-ions.

My plan is to make the last video(s) clips tomorrow and compile them to upload them; hopefully the worklog and final video will all fit into one 10 minute video!

This project for me is a circle - I started modding on this site with my shoddy but working cardboard and tinfoil d-pad which looked pitiful in contrast; and now, doing the same project with a similar model of GP2x, only this time, "professional" and nice!

Hybrid NIMH batteries hold their charge forever. I was having a problem with regular NIMH's in that every time I went to use the machine the batteries had self discharged within a few days. Now, using Duracell hybrids, I can go months without touching the machine and pick it up and the batteries are at the same level they were months ago. They really make all the difference in the world.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Back