Bigger Lcd Screen Mod

bacteria

Modder & Portablizer
Website
moddedbybacteria.wordpress.com
There are articles on this forum about modding a PSone LCD screen (or similar) to work on a modded games console (see www.benheck.com ).

article

Ideally, I would like to change the built-in LCD screen on the GP2x for a bigger one (c. 5"), which would also give less/no flickering.

2 options:

i) use a tv out connector for the GP2x and connect it to a portable LCD tv. (easy option).
ii) hack and mod an LCD screen (like a PSone for example) into the GP2x using the existing LCD connectors if possible. It would be nice to fire up the GP2x straight into a large LCD display rather than "tv out" option. Has anyone got the schematics of which of the GP2x wires connect to what on the GP2x LCD display; and (using above article) what connects therefore from the GP2x to the PSone type of screen? I don't know enough about how to do this - I don't want to brick the LCD or my GP2x in the process.

Option ii) might prove too hard or risky to try, in which case option i) is safe - however option ii) would give a far thinner product.

Building in a big screen would mean building a new case to home the GP2x motherboard in, and would also give the opportunity to mould in a proper joystick and D-pad combo and user-defined buttons and locations for the rest of the GP2x.

As you probably have gathered, I am thinking about building a SUPER-sized GP2x ;) (only conception stage at moment). The screen issue is the main stumbling block at the moment. Connecting wires to the motherboard and connecting them to external buttons is easy, making a case is possible (plastic or plaster or wood or paper-mache are possible materials), modding an analogue GameCube/N64 joystick to digital is feasible (I have already worked out how to do this - proper 8 way) and linking a D-pad in is fairly easy (option); and external speakers built into the case is feasible. Hot glue would be ideal to re-inforce new wiring required in the case, to secure the motherboard to the case, and cable tidy. What I don't want is a heavy, bulky unit as a result - a modded LCD screen would make the project thinner and lighter, and may make the project feasible.

The end result could potentially be quite exciting and effective!

Back