Bacteria's Mod - Modding A Gp2x - Psone Screen, Buttons Spaced, Et

bacteria

Modder & Portablizer
Website
moddedbybacteria.wordpress.com
I could easily duplicate the details of the posting from the BenHeck site, or just give you guys a link to it - not sure which you prefer.

The link is: GP2x mod - on BenHeck forum

As most people won't be registered on that forum and may have no reason to, it might be more awkward to post comments in the BenHeck forum, plus guys and gals on this site may have different input from the other site, so I will duplicate the postings I make on both forums (not from other members of course); but if people prefer me to just say "visit the site if you are interested" then that is fine. As I see merit in posting to both sites as this might be of interest to both forums, I will duplicate the data as it makes sense. - however as this forum doesn't allow so many pics as the other one in a posting, I may have to split the postings.

-------------------------------------------------------

Aha, you shout, another Bacteria project!!

Basically until I know if I can get the add-ons for my Ipaq project I can't do more on it (just a few days, now long). I could finish the briefcase on my Nintendo 64 Advance, (will do soon), but thought I would start a new project in the interim - modding a GP2x.

Objectives:

* Better battery life (poor on the GP2x with only 2 x AA's). Maybe dual power (not decided yet).
* Use a PSone screen to give about 50% more screen area.
* Better buttons for control and laid out better.
* Interchangeable joystick and D-pad (inspired by Ben's Xbox contoller) - best of both worlds then.
* Rotateable screen (to play some MAME games properly).
* Easier to hold and use (adult hands again!!).

The GP2x does not have (perfect) tv-out, a chap on the GP2x forum is trying to improve it. Output from the GP2x is only s-video; you can of course combine the signals yourself or use an adapter to make it composite, but let's face it, composite is not good in most cases.

Using the instructions from sam_thornley's post, http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?t=20158 I did his mod to make the PSone screen (PAL) take s-video directly.

The below two pics are sam_thornley's from his posting, all credit to him for these:

GP2x1.jpg

GP2x2.jpg

I had to use my dremel to make the ends of my slim pliers thinner, so they could grip the component so I could remove it after using a hot soldering iron. (in pic is the part removed - tiny!).

GP2x001.jpg

Removed, came from here:

GP2x003.jpg

Wired up the capacitor, put a piece of electrical tape under where the capacitor was going to sit and put a blob of hot glue under capacitor to secure it in place.

I am using the PSone screen from my old BigBoy Advance project, once I a ready I will remove it from the casing (and bin the old case). Rather than destroy the GP2x tv-out cable, I cut an old s-video cable and used its cabling.

I hooked up the PSone screen to the PSone mains power; connected both the (Y) Luminance ground (red wire) and the © Chroma ground (blue wire) to the ground on the PSone screen and the Luminance wire to the Composite in on the PSone screen.

GP2x005.jpg

Test rig: GP2x, PSone screen

GP2x035.jpg

Screen samples below - a bit better than composite, a definite improvement (eg lettering is better, colours a bit better); however there is a slight flicker, just slight - can this be resolved with a higher capacitor rating than 220uf?? Any ideas? It isn't a problem, it would be nice to have a nice 100% static screen.

(Psycho Pinball, via MegaDrive emulator):

GP2x009.jpg

GP2x023.jpg

GP2x018.jpg

GP2x019.jpg

GP2x020.jpg

Test screens:

GP2x028.jpg

GP2x029.jpg

GP2x033.jpg

I will pause this project to complete my Ipaq, then back to it (or maybe both at the same time?).

More updates will follow in next days....

Looks like a butchers party to me, I hope the patient will live to tell ;)

Good luck, love these kind of projects.

Should be fine mate, I have a fair bit of experience now with my multimeter at finding common ground connections and soldering to tiny surfaces.

I was concerned with modding the PSone screen itself; only one person had done it (the originator), if the process hadn't have worked I could have had problems!

When I had the test screens from rlyeh's project to give proper tv output, I had a nice crisp display; via the tv out in normal mode there is a tiny amount of flicker. I intend to see if changing the capacitor to a higher rated one helps; or adding one to the Luminance wire makes any odds.

The PSone screen isn't perfect, but then again nor is the GP2x screen either (for different reasons). I find the GP2x fiddly to hold and use, hence a mod.

I decided it would be hard to reply to some queries and comments on one forum and copy replies to the other without using the member's comments as the result could be less meaningful; so please see the BenHeck site (link above) to see updates if you wish to on this project. This keeps it easy as all information will be in one place.

I hope to see you there!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

...bump...

Project coming on nicely, and quite quickly. Lots of interesting stuff on this topic; thought I would bump this thread back to give you guys a chance to read the BenHeck project...I presume there is interest here, as it is a unique GP2x modding project???

Well I am interested, but so far have not gone over to look as I try to keep the no. of forums down.. I guessed you need to register, I'll go look now though maybe I can browse through? I'll go find out :) good luck

Edit: I take it I'l not be able to comment if read , so I'll use this thread if there's anything to add, or mention ok?

not that I'll be able to tell you your job! lol kudos to your soldering skills :D

Sure, you don't have to register on the BenHeck forum to read the postings, you can quite happily read the thread there and come back here to comment on it if you like on this thread, keeps it alive!

My modding skills have improved dramatically over the last year.

The BenHeck forum is a bit slow sometimes, it is taking a pounding from people viewing on the forum - I think my articles may be a contributer to that! (ahem). One of the sites I upload pics to is taking about a 6Gb a month hit from my pics being viewed. If the site is a bit slow, please try again a short while later.

Thanks, I fortunately have very steady hands, which is handy for doing very tiny soldering work.

Wow that site is slow for me.. anyway it's all very interesting as I said but almost completely over my head unfortunately. The other mods are fun too, that's going off topic though

So aside from the extra size, and ability for interlace to 640 (right?) the actual res of the PSOne screen- did it end up the same or not as 2X?
regardless of that I love the ability and drive you have to do things like this and the screen's still quite a bit bigger!

What could I even begin to look into or at, to think about beggining putting things together myself? (and knowing what the hell all these little chips/capacitors etc are there for!) I've built computers and know a few basics, not that that's any great feat- and was thinking of trying to build some kind of wall mounted touchscreen based PC jukebox/datacentre that other computers can draw files/info from. Or play games/video via projector.

That above isn't really any massive task needing any soldering skill or much diy knowledge I know, but afterwards who knows.. at the moment though motherboards or the thought of chopping bits off and tiny soldering still scare me :lol: Just assume I know nothing, and if there's a couple of links I'd greatly apprecieate it.

I'll be interested in watching progress anyway :)

Back