Backligth color = modifier key?

myNewUsername

Will the Pyra have RGB backlight? I have been reading a bit in the keyboard layout thread, and came to think of having rgb backlight can help users find the symbol they want (if printed).

imagine that that the modifier keys and their respective  key prints have different colors, and the backlight changes when modifier keys are pressed, to a color that makes the right print stand out.

clever? dumb? discussed before? It must be possible to turn the feature off of course.

Will the Pyra have RGB backlight? I have been reading a bit in the keyboard layout thread, and came to think of having rgb backlight can help users find the symbol they want (if printed).

imagine that that the modifier keys and their respective  key prints have different colors, and the backlight changes when modifier keys are pressed, to a color that makes the right print stand out.

clever? dumb? discussed before? It must be possible to turn the feature off of course.
The keyboard backlight will be white only, however there is Pyra logo on the back of the LCD screen lid that will have a RGB LED that will be user programmable.. useful for indicator lights and such.

I had actually suggested this once with the idea of using multiple colored filters per key.

Depending on the wavelength(s) of light being produced, the different filters would allow different patterns of light through. So - use a red removing filter in the shape of a negative A and when red light comes on, an A in red is visible. Use a blue removing filter in the shape of a negative a and when blue light comes on, an a in blue is visible.

Etc...

Too expensive and too unknown to use I guess.

if i understand you right that you suggested one (or more controlled to same color) backlight RGB led, and filters are simply semitransparent symbols on the key with different colors I dont think it would be expensive at all (and just what I though of =) ). I may be wrong, but I ASSUME the pyra keys will have semitransparent colored anyways or backlight would be kinda useless.

The hardest part from a design perspective is maybe finding three colors where any one 'level' of symbols can stand out compared to the others. RGB leds needs a few extra pins to control of course.

and from a controller perspective; because the all modifier keys will be SW modifiers, no special hw beyond the leds will be needed (right?).

I also dont think the light wil have to be very bright, tapping a modifier key a few times would make the right symbols very noticable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe some day on a future device someone will have to try something like that out.

For now, though, to my understanding, the Pyra will have multiple white-only (but dimming capable) LEDs.  They will shine through a translucent keymat up through hard-cap black keys.

I have not seen anything certain on there being colors on the key caps - though there is hope.

Come to think about it, the soc should have three pwm outputs for this to work. I have no idea if this is available. If it is, it could anyways make for a nice custom hack.

So the keys will be black? it sounds like the symbols will be harder to read with the backlight on than off.

Come to think about it, the soc should have three pwm outputs for this to work. I have no idea if this is available. If it is, it could anyways make for a nice custom hack.

So the keys will be black? it sounds like the symbols will be harder to read with the backlight on than off.
I suggested whiteish keys with black/colored lettering and was immediate told I should burn it with fire.

I suggested whiteish keys with black/colored lettering and was immediate told I should burn it with fire.
I am curious, how would that help? =)

I am curious, how would that help? =)
If the keys are white instead of black, then the backlight can be turned WAY down - the loss to the back of the black painted keys is no longer an issue.  Then you have a nice soft glow around black, red, blue, green, other characters.  They'll all be sillhouettes unless they're printed in a translucent ink - in which case they would be colors.  The big thing though was being able to turn the back-light down to minimal levels and avoid 'blooming' effects that we may have with clear or white letters on black keys.

It's an aesthetics vs practicality thing.  White keys has low aesthetics, but would be very practical.

Back