Back from Greece

We could now also mix different colors together, for example, have the keyboard part a different color than the lid, etc.
Time to resurrect the old thread with the different color themes to see what we can do to make it look good, eh?
Whatever you do, you should try making the inside of the lid (the area directly adjacent to the screen) just black. That actually improves the display quality to the observer.

A bit off topic. How hard would it be to swap out the 4g cellular on these pyras? I've been thinking long term for this device since the specs are ok and it's going to have good Linux support. TMobile, phone company here in the US, will slowly start rolling out 5g internet by the end of the year. I already plan on picking up the first unlimited plan I can get my hands on because they will probably start locking down on data plans after it's been used awhile. Hypothetically, if you could get your hands on the cellular 5g that eventually is coming... How difficult would it be to put in the pyra?

Is the cellular LTE sottered to the main board or is it just plugged in?

@dracmas, if a pin compatible 5G module comes out, with an antenna that works that could be fit in. It's likely some tedious soldering is involved.

Last edited:
First tmobile is unlimited already (I used 90GB this month), second I'm pretty sure the 5g is just carrier aggregation and more bands... So it shouldnt be that big a deal for later modems

I am pretty sure it is soldered to the main board. I feel like this was confirmed when we were asking about the number of models and how to upgrade.

Personally I find transparent plastics on electronics makes it look like some cheap toy...
Or a prototype? Another win imo.

I am pretty sure it is soldered to the main board. I feel like this was confirmed when we were asking about the number of models and how to upgrade.

Or a prototype? Another win imo.

Maybe, but I own prototypes for 3 unreleased devices and an engineering sample of something that was, and nothing was clear :/
I wouldn't mind a clear prototype Pyra though, but the one I would actually use would have to be WINE RED.

Will we see a video of the new prototype or will we wait until the mainboard is finished?

You should be able to buy transparent Pyra cases in August - with immediate delivery, if you like :)
Just had a thought on this... Maybe make a, "Special Limited Edition Self Assembled Keymat Test Kit," package?

I figure at this point you likely have a few scrap main boards. Keymats were likely a minimum order quantity = "a lot".
Case plastics set + screws + scrap mainboard + keymat = SLESAKTK

Not to be confused with a Sleestak of course.

Black case, with a green themed UI, and painted green light diffuser for the keyboard lights and green led behind the logo.
Ah, going for green phosphorus on a black screen? Or maybe inspired by System Shock?
My choice is boring, yet practical: Dark gray (anthracite preferred), matte finish.
Maybe with burgundy accents (D-Pad, nub disks and trigger buttons). For the logo plate: milky white, so I can use the LED's lightpiped below it as indicator lights.
It should look like a piece of lava that has mostly cooled, with some hot spot accents.
Please remember to steer clear of volcanic areas for the shipping route itself ;-)

Last edited:
Back