Artist For Pmenu Skins Wanted

Cpasjuste

Hello there !

I'm actually searching some people to make some pmenu ( my pandora minimal menu ) skins. I know that some people already said it's not the best design so far to make a skin but i did what i could with the time i have.

Here is a linux i386 binary so people can see and test theire skins, not sure if it would work out of the box but let me know the errors your get (maybe some libs are missing for your setup).

- You need to run it via the "run.sh" script so it will preload needed libs.
- Skins must be put in the "skins" folder, just copy one of the two inclued skins to work on.
- All the non-transparents images should be RGB565 (16 bits RGB) for better perfs, else RGBA for transparency.
- If i remember correctly : F1 to change section to the left, F2 to the right, DOWN to scroll the list down, UP for up, space to select/activate/change skins, O for yes and N for no.

I will complete this post as soon as i get reports and remember some things to note.

Installation under virtual box and ubuntu 9.10 :

Open a terminal and type :

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

should ask to reboot now ... reboot then open a terminal again :

Code:
sudo apt-get install libsdl-image1.2 libsdl-ttf2.0-0 -y
sudo apt-get install libglut3-dev -y
sudo apt-get install libglew-dev -y
sudo apt-get install glew-utils -y
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libtiff.so.4 /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3
wget http://mydedibox.fr/_stuff/pandora/pmenu_i386_20091126.zip
unzip pmenu_i386_20091126.zip
cd release
./run.sh

I did setup an anonymous ftp server for you to upload skins. This will be easier for me to get them, and to not miss some.

ftp://mydedibox.fr:222/

You should upload your skins with this "layout" :

NICKNAME_SKINNAME_VERSION, for exemple : Cpasjuste_MySuperSkin_v001.zip

if not, i may remove the skin from the ftp archive.

20091209 release :

- Added : settings for "Media" section in the skin configuration file (gui.cfg)
- Added : "applications_title_description_y" setting in gui.cfg, to set where the text start withing the application_box
- Fixed : the small font in the application list does not honor the highlight color when selected.
- Fixed : the media list runs off the right side - it does not honor the width specified for the application list.
- Fixed : Partially fixed fonts ( except for the scrolling one )
- Fixed : The skin preview image does not honor the maximum width for the preview area.
- Fixed : The confirm box's confirm_box_x and confirm_box_y attributes don't appear to affect anything.
- Fixed : The dialog says "to your favorites applications" instead of "to your favourite applications"
- Fixed : The scrolling text under applications has a visual glitch when glyphs leave to the left: they disappear one glyph at a time instead of linearly fading away.

20091127_r2 release :

- Added Text Aliasing option to the skin configuration file (gui.cfg)
- Added Text Bold Italic Normal option to the skin configuration file (gui.cfg)

20091127 release :

- Removed device TOTAL space info text.
- Partially fixed text charachter spacing (seems better, some work is still needed)
- Added 3 diffirent background ( emus/games/misc/favorites, media, settings )
- Fixed a bug with the text in the applications box, was not respecting application_box_width
- Fixed another bug in the applications box, application_box_w was not correctly handled

20091126 release :

- Added settings text interlines spacing option to the skin configuration file (gui.cfg)
- Added proper x/y coordinates for applications_box.
- Added proper x/y coordinates for the setting menu text (same as applications_box)
- Added "applications_box_w" setting to the skin configuration file (gui.cfg)
- Added "icon_scale_max" and "icon_scale_min" to the skin configuration file (gui.cfg)
- Added "applications_spacing" for text interlines spacing to the skin configuration file (gui.cfg)
- Changed "applications" section by "Media" section
- Changed "divers" section by "Misc" section
- Added a specific font for each infos settings, and with custom color and size.
- Added an "hightlight" category icon option in the skin configuration file (gui.cfg) so you can set a different icon when selected.

20091122 release :

- Added infos text color parameter to the skin configuration file (gui.cfg)
- Added skin data path to the skin configuration file (gui.cfg)

20091121_r3 release :

- Added cpu/sd1/sd2/clock icon/text x/y option to the skin configuration file (gui.cfg)
- Fixed keyboard autorepeat
- Added a delay for description scrolling
- Added a "preview_pic_w" option to the skin configuration file (gui.cfg), to set the
preview pic maximum width ( height will be a 1.6666 ratio of that to preserve
the pandora screen ration (800/480) ).

20091121_r2 release :

- Fixed : skin configuration file (gui.cfg) was not read while switching skins
- Removed the exit on mouse click function

20091121 release :

- Added linux i386 makefile
- Added fonts size/color configuration to skins configuration file (gui.cfg)
- Added Cpu speed selector to settings menu (pandora only)
- Added Skins data verification routine to prevent loading a skin if some file are missing

Thanks in advance !

hum yes, i did port it to windows there is a few weeks ago, but i did rewrite my GLES 2D libary from scratch without SDL. I guess i could do a win port easly with the openGL ES emulator for windows, but really havn't the time to do that. GLES2D and pmenu (crappy) sources are available at http://github.com/Cpasjuste , so if someone want to give a try ..

Cpasjuste said:
hum yes, i did port it to windows there is a few weeks ago, but i did rewrite my GLES 2D libary from scratch without SDL. I guess i could do a win port easly with the openGL ES emulator for windows, but really havn't the time to do that. GLES2D and pmenu (crappy) sources are available at http://github.com/Cpasjuste , so if someone want to give a try ..

Don't worry, just installing Ubuntu as we speak :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Libgles seems to depend on libtiff3, only libtiff4 is available in ubuntu karmic repos. I have many ideas how to solve this, but what would be the simplest? Ideas?

mindlord said:
I'm trying the simple
Code:
approach.
That was one of my ideas :p It depends on libtiff being binary compatible between versions 3 and 4 where it counts. Report back how it went :)

B-ZaR said:
mindlord said:
I'm trying the simple
Code:
approach.
That was one of my ideas :p It depends on libtiff being binary compatible between versions 3 and 4 where it counts. Report back how it went :)

Hum dunno how i did that since im using ubuntu Karmic too.
Your right, a link should be enough.
Else I forget to say thAt I'm still using sdl for images, so you need :
libsdl, libsdl-image and libsdl-ttf

So, how do I build this if I don't have a Pandora? You've put -march, -mcpu and -mtune flags everywhere; do I need to remove all of them manually?

EDIT: Well not everywhere, but your Makefile isn't really portable to put it like that...
EDITEDIT: I'll just use the binary I guess...

Hum in fact i writed the makefile just for djwillis conveniance, else I'm using codeblocks to (cross)compile it. There is the codeblocks projects files inclued, else you'll have to remove all the arm specific crap And define _X11_ .

I didn't check; diudn't cpas post the binary? you had to go and try compiling though, couldn't resist eh? :)

jeff

skeezix said:
I didn't check; diudn't cpas post the binary? you had to go and try compiling though, couldn't resist eh? :)

jeff
Well the binary links against the whole freaking X and DRM framework it seems, and on a x86_64 computer, it isn't fun to hunt down all those 32-bit libs (it's kinda easy on Fedora actually on which I happen to be, but even Fedora failed at finding libEGL.so - why is that needed anyways, can't you just use SDL?)

dflemstr said:
Well the binary links against the whole freaking X and DRM framework it seems, and on a x86_64 computer, it isn't fun to hunt down all those 32-bit libs (it's kinda easy on Fedora actually on which I happen to be, but even Fedora failed at finding libEGL.so - why is that needed anyways, can't you just use SDL?)

I'm having problems with libEGL as well. I have libgegl-0.0-0 installed, but I get
Code:
./pmenu: error while loading shared libraries: libEGL.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Back