Anyone else seen this very impressive rendering engine..?

That is... quite awesome indeed. ^_^

EDIT: About content: Making a game for a world like that could go two different routes

1. Generate world, use it as a base, build content on top of it. Limit movement when necessary to keep the player in the interesting parts.
  2. Generate world, generate content. Interesting is everywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a really fantastic engine...

Some of the screenshots in the gallery are absolutely stunning.

water-refl000.jpg

First off, this is stunningly beautiful. I just want to walk around aimlessly for a while, visit some pretty places. One of my favourite things to do in Minecraft is explore a bit, and take in the fake, procedural landscapes. There's just something about a completely open, procedurally generated vista that can't be duplicated in hand built environments. I don't know what it is, it just feels more organic and real, even the blockiness of Minecraft.

Second, there are also algorithms to procedurally generate cities and buildings. Use this to build a world, plant a few "seeds" and let other algorithms come up with towns and cities. Tweak various parameters until they get to be the way the developer wants, and then manually craft some finishing touches to make it interesting.

edit: and third, this reminded me of a project I started watching... a decade ago? Infinity Engine

Last edited by a moderator:
The grass and vistas look sweet thought the trees look a bit fake.wonder if we could expect something like this from an xbox 720 or ps4.

One of my favourite things to do in Minecraft is explore a bit, and take in the fake, procedural landscapes. There's just something about a completely open, procedurally generated vista that can't be duplicated in hand built environments. I don't know what it is, it just feels more organic and real, even the blockiness of Minecraft.

Yeah, I do that too. I stopped playing Minecraft SMP a while ago due to time constraints, but with every new update I still log on just to aimlessly wander through the new landscapes. It's a very relaxing thing to do, if nothing else.

Back