Anybody considering picking up an Oculus Rift..?

Garrett

Advanced Member
I've been following it's progress since first announced & it seems to be getting more & more plaudits/dev support as time goes by.

Impossible to make a judgement call without a hands on.. but I'm a believer in the whole VR concept so I'm kinda already sold.. anybody else?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhcOMOWRMnA

Last edited by a moderator:
if the endproduct keeps up to the promises - yeS ; )

Edit:

it will probably kill your eyesight though! Staring onto a screen thats right in front of your eyes for a long time will kill your ability to quickly focus over distances  : |  Its basically the same effect you experience when staring onto a TFT or TV for a long time. VR glasses shuld be far worse!

So..  on second thought I might end leaving it be

Thank this young man for finally making those damn VR goggles work the way we have been watching them do in the movies since the eighties. This VR stuff is very fitting for my state of mind as I'm watching a Hell - A Cyberpunk adventure playthrough :D

And, hot damn it must be good! If all those big names agree and Doom 3 already supports it, how can it not be cool?

Does computing a game for sterescopic desplays add noticeable strain to the machine it's run on?

Does computing a game for sterescopic desplays add noticeable strain to the machine it's run on?
At any given resolution, the game needs to render two seperate views instead of one, meaning more work. However the overall resolution may be lower than one 1080P display, which would mean less work.

I was a kickstarter backer for this, I believe that I'll have to wait until March/April before I get delivery of the Occulus Rift with the dev sdk.  Will keep you posted on progress good and bad.

I had big ideas so backed the kickstarter too. Now I'm pretty sure I'll be too busy sleeping to do anything with it. Well, I'm sure I'll figure something out. But yes, if I hadn't bought into the kickstarter I'd definitely be waiting for the final product.

I'll wait until the first ones are released as I'm not sure how dependent it is of software.

My first hmd was used icw. my nvidia card, but they stopped supporting that when they start selling nvidia 3d glasses.

Those supported most pc games, this one sounds like it will only work with some supporting games and not a generic solution.

But I hope it will become more clear what it will do when they are available.

Will the Oculus Rift cause eye strain after extended use?

The Oculus Rift causes very little eye strain, particularly compared to other standard displays or headmounts.

Normally, when you take a break from using a monitor or TV, the idea is to give your eyes a chance to focus and converge on a distant plane. This is a natural position of rest for your eyes.

With the Oculus Rift, your eyes are actually focused and converged in the distance at all times. It’s a pretty neat optical feature.
Maybe it won't be so hard on the eyes.

If this gets a lot of support I'd be very temped to buy it. It looks awesome. At the very least, I want to try one out. I'm sure it will be way better than my last vr experience. It was some lame jet landing sim at Dave & Busters and it was laggy as hell and lasted all of 15 seconds for $5.

Having owned a pair of objectively "the best consumer Head Mounted Display" in recent history

http://www.3dvisor.com/

your "idea" of how awesome something like this is going to be vs the reality of "virtual reality" is extremely disappointing. I am a fan of this kind of technology, and I will get one to test... but I'm certain it's nowhere near the level of lawnmower man or the matrix or any other trash pop media makes you think this is like.

cool toy?... yes

the best technology has to offer?... probably

meet your expectations?... seriously doubt it

and yes it will hurt your eyes after about an hour, not as bad as the virtualboy but close... very close

Just heard about this the other week, I'm very into stereoscopic 3d so I might get one when the consumer product is ready. But I might wait a bit, wouldn't want to pay a lot of money for one and then have maybe 3-4 games supporting it.. but looks promising.

A quote from reddit about eyestrain:

They mentioned it multiple times, the lenses they use are focused to infinity and it doesn't cause eye strain. My understanding is that it tricks the eye to focus on the things inside the display and not the display itself.
Also, the video they were discussing shows the reactions of a few people trying it:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/KJo12Hz_BVI?feature=oembed
I'm looking forward to the release of the consumer version. I imagine that using one with a pair of headphones means I'm going to be late for work a lot more often.

I am kind of regretting cancelling my pre-order, but I know if I continue to wait I'll enjoy the final consumer version better.

i tried the dev kit a few days ago. the dev kit's resolution is very low so it's hard to get an idea about the final commercial version, but the latency when moving was very low and gave me a very good impression. There's potential. and the headset is very light, not like the shitty headset from Sony.

We've got one at the office and I've already played TF2 with it. The 3D effect is really nice, but I got motion sick very quick.

It's the DEV version, which has a lower resolution display - which makes it look bad. It has a resolution of 1280x800 but splitted half for the left and right eye. You can literally see the display's pixels. The consumer version will have HD, thats really needed :)

The SDK is very well written. I've had so hard times with a lot of badly written SDKs, this one really stands out in a very positive way :)

Back