Anybody considering picking up an Oculus Rift..?

The problem on the software side is that we're not good at designing algorithms with emergent behavior, like Conway's game of life or artificial neural networks. We basically discover such things through trial and error and some luck, not through engineering-style design. It's too hard to predict or have an intuition about what the emergent behavior will be -- it's like trying to guess the physical shape and the social behavior of an animal based on its DNA sequence. Very simple rules can lead to very complex emergent behavior. My guess is that human brains work like that: I conjecture that they can be described with relatively simple probabilistic rules, executed in a massively parallel way, leading to the complex emergent behavior we call consciousness or intelligence.
The only problem I see with this being the limiting factor. Guided learning would be in my opinion best, once an initial construct is made. Just as a person can be taught to think in a certain way so can a learning computer. Whereas giving it all the rules or even most of them may not be the most efficient and sort of limits the potential gain. If the end result of a learning computer is not ideal snapshots can be made (because its all digital) in its own "evolution" and you can reset it back before the point where the results were not ideal. Guided evolution, guided learning, better end result potential. Where a system designed by hard set of rules will always act as predictable and flawed as those hard set rules. Where I think mine and your ideas converge is not in if there should be learning and hard coded rules, but at what level and to what complexity those rules should be made. I believe you feel that the reality construct should be handed to the intelligence where I feel it should be determined on its own and the rules are only in how to interact with its sensors and how to store and compare input. Due to the processing power required for each, I feel your system to be the easiest to accomplish in the shortest time span, both in hardware capability and desired outcome, where my idea I feel has the greatest potential reward at the sacrifice of magnitudes more invested time and computational power but less hand written rules, but more in analyzing comparing and guiding the progress.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've suddenly found myself in an odd situation - I've spent so much time evangelising VR among my friends, that I have been presented with a proposal by one - they'll give me a top spec PC, certain major accessories, and a rift Dk2 (ordered this week), with a view to developing very specific applications for VR over the course of the next year. Not games (initially, that's waay down the line), but stuff involving mixed media. My fear is, I haven't had a grasp of the programming basics since the 8 bit era. I'm way out of touch. If I was to take the plunge, assuming total ignorance but willingness to try, where would you start? Once you get your OR and whip it out of the box, where to start tinkering..? I'm terrified of being unable to get to grips with it but the opportunity is just too tempting to decline!

I would say grab a copy of Unity - you can get the free one and it supports the OR. It uses C#, which is a cleaner version of C++. That's where my advice ends, because I've never actually used Unity, but good luck ;)

Thx, I'll go have a look right away!

(Update: You need Unity Pro apparently, as free version doesn't allow plugins, and Oculus no longer bundle 40 day Unity Pro trial key to test the waters, maybe the anticipated next release..)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the Occulus rift experience may be a little more realistic than suspected

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Odax7F3tWhM&t=1m15s

Next will be the VA mom telling you to do your homework. The Facebook link makes sense now.

My FB: update now playing Dizzy.

Mom FB: get off the damn computer and do your homework. If you don't finish your green beans for dinner I will take away your transformer and he man dolls

Hopefully I will get my first actual look at one of these things, and perhaps even a little go on one [unless the queue is more than an hour, then I won't bother].

Next week I'll be going to Play Blackpool and they've got them there... Hopefully will be able to play it even though I've not got a FB account :)

Next week I'll be going to Play Blackpool and they've got them there... Hopefully will be able to play it even though I've not got a FB account :)
Unfortunately, I can't make Play Blackpool - Might get to the Play Expo later in the year though. But if you get a look at the latest OR headset, I would love to hear your thoughts

Yeah I'll let you know if I get near it, and if I do I'll share my thoughts.

Just a few more days now, not been to Blackpool in about 20 years, hoping to get a little climb up the tower and a go on the roller coaster too whilst I'm there

You'd easily spot a Flappy Bird player that used that setup. Upper arms and shoulders like boulders.

Another interesting Oculus emulation project -

http://memorift.wordpress.com/

He's building a 'retro room' with functional 8 and 16 bit games consoles & a PC or two - with floppies and dial-up modem ( emulated legendary BBSes planned!).

Looks interesting. Says with the flat screens you should be able to watch standard side-by-side 3D content, which is pretty interesting.

He's building a 'retro room' with functional 8 and 16 bit games consoles & a PC or two - with floppies and dial-up modem ( emulated legendary BBSes planned!).
Is this going to be "a thing"? Because IMO, it just seems a little silly.

Back