Any Snes Fans In The House?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Exophase and Firefox for explaining. In the early GP2X days, there was a lot of effort put into belittling the PSP, so it makes sense that a lot of things were exaggerated.

PandaJag - I wonder what a half Panda half Jaguar would look like.

icurafu said:
Thanks Exophase and Firefox for explaining. In the early GP2X days, there was a lot of effort put into belittling the PSP, so it makes sense that a lot of things were exaggerated.

PandaJag - I wonder what a half Panda half Jaguar would look like.
Depends which halves are used I guess... I'd put the panda half on top so you still have the panda eyes...

SNES seems to be coming along nicely! That's actually awesome :) I want :pandora1: now! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh wow a Panda meme would actually be very cool.

Since it runs on linux, instead of Tux Penguin it could be a Panda sitting in the same sort of way, sort of hybridized into a Penguin?...yeah thats pretty weird.

awesome!
snes is my absolute favorite console, its great to see pandora's emulator looking so good already.
thank you, firefox. and of course, squidge too!

quadomatic said:
Since it runs on linux, instead of Tux Penguin it could be a Panda sitting in the same sort of way, sort of hybridized into a Penguin?...yeah thats pretty weird.
327158234.jpg

327158237.jpg

DISCLAIMER: Not drawn by me.

haha ^
if you want to see images, rt click, view image, truncate image url to site url and get cookie, hit back and refresh.

magicman5421 said:
haha ^
if you want to see images, rt click, view image, truncate image url to site url and get cookie, hit back and refresh.
Couldn't wait huh? :rolleyes: ;)

Lurkio said:
quadomatic said:
327158234.jpg

327158237.jpg

DISCLAIMER: Not drawn by me.

That's awesome. That should be shown when pandora is booting.

God Damn it the wait for the handheld is killing me :p.

This handheld will be the shit PSP who?

Thanks for the videos looks in great shape :)

Firefox said:
Here's a video of PandaSNES running Chrono Trigger with the graphics problems fixed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH-mcMpBocU

It's running much too fast, but that's a nice problem to have in an emulator. :)

If the Emu will be really optimized for Pandora, how many MHz Minimum could be used to run SNES Full Speed (and save alot battery power) ? 300Mhz? Maybe 250? :)

I somewhat prefer PandaGuar to PandaJag

Watch out! It's a Pandaguar hiding in the bambus-tree :D

fusion_power said:
If the Emu will be really optimized for Pandora, how many MHz Minimum could be used to run SNES Full Speed (and save alot battery power) ? 300Mhz? Maybe 250? :)
We're already underclocking it at 500MHz now. I think that'll be the new challenge in emulator writing on the Pandora: seeing how low a clock speed you can get your emulator to run at instead of how near to fullspeed you can get emulated games to run. As you point out, this will stretch the battery life - though it runs for a long time on one charge already.

I just want to reiterate that PandaSNES isn't my work, I've just done a few days' fiddling with the display code. The credit really belongs to Squidge, Reesy, and Maxtor (and possibly others as well). The speed increases come from the hardware, not from any amazing ninja optimisation techniques I've applied to their code. :)

Dunny said:
Lurkio said:
Firefox said:
PandaSNES (working title).
That's not a bad title.

And the start of a new GP32X meme?

PandaSNES, PandaDrive, PandaJag, maybe? Speaking of which, I do hope that Firefox will be porting his T2K emu over to the Pandora. If not, I shall bug you on yakyak.

D.

Awesome idea! Brb I'm off to port the ARSS to the Pandora and call it PandaARSS. PandaARSS, what only zoophiles will want to mess with.

fusion_power said:
Firefox said:
Here's a video of PandaSNES running Chrono Trigger with the graphics problems fixed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH-mcMpBocU

It's running much too fast, but that's a nice problem to have in an emulator. :)

Yeah, I agree with Firefox. It seems like maximizing the battery life for emulation would be a nice challenge.

Firefox: Since you tried it at 500mhz and chrono trigger still runs at a wayyy fast frame rate, could you try underclocking it till its just at fullspeed and tell us how low the clock was? No need for a video.

The second video of chrono trigger seems to run much faster than the first one. Could it be the graphical bug that caused the slowdown? (it's very noticeable with frog special attack - in the magnus castle IIRC)

pepone said:
The second video of chrono trigger seems to run much faster than the first one. Could it be the graphical bug that caused the slowdown? (it's very noticeable with frog special attack - in the magnus castle IIRC)
No, the reason the graphics were sometimes wrong in the first video was simply that some effects weren't being applied when the frame was composited from its elements - being a bit unfamiliar with the SNES I hadn't realised they were missing until I compared what was on the Pandora's screen to what was on my PC's screen when I was running the same game in ZSnes.

So PandaSNES is in fact doing more work in the second video. The reason it goes faster is that I had the compiler's optimiser turned off for the build shown in the first video, which produces very inefficient machine code that's 100% guaranteed to be correct (kind of like running the compiler in safe mode). For the build I used in the second video I'd turned the optimiser on for a few of the code modules, which improved the efficiency of the corresponding machine code - making the emulator go faster.

I hope that makes some kind of sense...

Demon's Crest or Metal Warriors would look awesome, but Star Fox would be a true test. Great work Firefox.

Firefox said:
No, the reason the graphics were sometimes wrong in the first video was simply that some effects weren't being applied when the frame was composited from its elements - being a bit unfamiliar with the SNES I hadn't realised they were missing until I compared what was on the Pandora's screen to what was on my PC's screen when I was running the same game in ZSnes.

So PandaSNES is in fact doing more work in the second video. The reason it goes faster is that I had the compiler's optimiser turned off for the build shown in the first video, which produces very inefficient machine code that's 100% guaranteed to be correct (kind of like running the compiler in safe mode). For the build I used in the second video I'd turned the optimiser on for a few of the code modules, which improved the efficiency of the corresponding machine code - making the emulator go faster.

I hope that makes some kind of sense...
Yep, it make sense :)
I really enjoy the second video, the speed increase is very noticeable/appreciable :D

quadomatic said:
Yeah, I agree with Firefox. It seems like maximizing the battery life for emulation would be a nice challenge.
I think this should be the general strategy for developing Software onto the Pandora. ;) Nobody wants a PONG-like game that needs 600MHz to run. ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back