Any Jaguar Fans In The House?

Great to see Jaguar on the Pandora. Firefox, will there be any further improvements and updates to the GP2X version?

jmetal88 said:
Alright, alright. :rolleyes:

Some members of the Jaguar community are still developing games for it. True fans of the Jaguar, however, like to follow all aspects of copyright law, within reason. Some of the games that were developed for release, then, have not been released due to licensing issues, and other games won't be released because the current developers are upset by the efforts of some individuals to profit from their work more than the developers themselves have. GorfCD (or was it Gorf3D? I should look that up again) is one example of this. Another thing that is happening, is some of the games were being developed by teams, and some of the team members haven't been completing their parts, and these games aren't likely to get finished at all. It's really a lot more complicated than I've made it sound here, but this should give you a vague idea of Jaguar community politics.
Interesting... Thanks for that.

I must admit I went from impoverished student wishing I could afford a Jaguar back when it was current straight to porting Dio's emulator a few years ago, missing pretty much all of the scene inbetween.

It is a very interesting system, though. It'd be a lot of fun to create homebrew for, especially using a modern PC as a development environment. B)

Hirolaser said:
Firefox, will there be any further improvements and updates to the GP2X version?
Oh yes, definitely.

In a funny sort of way the GP2X is a lot more interesting and challenging platform to develop emulators for, because it has a lot less horsepower and consequently there's more fun to be had squeezing performance out of programs.

My GP2X's USB port is bust now though, which makes it a pain in the arse to develop for. I expect what I'll do is develop the GP2X version of T2K on my Pandora, then just recompile and test final builds on my GP2X.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hirolaser said:
Firefox, will there be any further improvements and updates to the GP2X version?
Oh yes, definitely.

In a funny sort of way the GP2X is a lot more interesting and challenging platform to develop emulators for, because it has a lot less horsepower and consequently there's more fun to be had squeezing performance out of programs.

My GP2X's USB port is bust now though, which makes it a pain in the arse to develop for. I expect what I'll do is develop the GP2X version of T2K on my Pandora, then just recompile and test final builds on my GP2X.

Excellent, thanks Firefox.

Firefox said:
then u should start deving something like psp-emu for the pandora :p

How are you doing the controls firefox? does the jaguar have a spinner like the arcade tempest machines, or does it use some form of d-pad?

parag0n said:
How are you doing the controls firefox? does the jaguar have a spinner like the arcade tempest machines, or does it use some form of d-pad?
The Jaguar controller looked like this:

jaguar.jpg

Apparently Tempest 2000 has code in it to use a spinner - Jeff Minter says that Atari gave him a prototype spinner controller and had him add support for it, but they never put one into production.

I'll have to talk to him and Dio about how that worked some time - the Pandora doesn't have a spinner, but it'd be a cool thing to add support for an external USB spinner. (But it won't be happening this week, I'm afraid. :))

I was thinking about emulating a spinner using one of the analog pads, and spinning it round in a circular motion, dont know if that'd be a nice way to use it though, sounds like it might be RSI city :/

Firefox said:
parag0n said:
The Jaguar controller looked like this:

jaguar.jpg

Apparently Tempest 2000 has code in it to use a spinner - Jeff Minter says that Atari gave him a prototype spinner controller and had him add support for it, but they never put one into production.

I'll have to talk to him and Dio about how that worked some time - the Pandora doesn't have a spinner, but it'd be a cool thing to add support for an external USB spinner. (But it won't be happening this week, I'm afraid. :))

Actually it's possible to wire up an Atari 2600 driving controller to the circuit board in the Jag controller and have it work as a spinner. You have to enter kind of a code to go into spinner mode before it'll actually work though. I did that before I sold my Jaguar, maybe I'll do it again once I get my new Jaguar (I just can't keep away from that thing).

parag0n said:
I was thinking about emulating a spinner using one of the analog pads, and spinning it round in a circular motion, dont know if that'd be a nice way to use it though, sounds like it might be RSI city :/
I dare say I'll be having a good experiment with the different control possibilities in the fullness of time. :)

jmetal88 said:
Actually it's possible to wire up an Atari 2600 driving controller to the circuit board in the Jag controller and have it work as a spinner. You have to enter kind of a code to go into spinner mode before it'll actually work though. I did that before I sold my Jaguar, maybe I'll do it again once I get my new Jaguar (I just can't keep away from that thing).
Ah, interesting. I'll have to ask them about this.

Oh, while I think, I realised yesterday that my antique camera only shoots videos at 15fps so the video on YouTube obviously won't have a frame rate any better than that. It looks very smooth in real life, and the colours are really vibrant thanks to the Pandora's new-fangled LTPS screen. You'll just have to take my word for it at the moment I'm afraid.

Never mind, perhaps one of the devs who has a decent camera will shoot some nicer videos (of all the demos) at some point?

This looks great Firefox! I've never once used a Jaguar, but I'd love to be able to try all the games I missed for it on my Pandora.

Good luck with the optimizations. :)

Firefox said:
jmetal88 said:
Ah, interesting. I'll have to ask them about this.

Here's the guide I followed:

http://myweb.cableone.net/bsutton/Jagrotary.htm

EDIT: I just realized half the images have disappeared from that. Guess you'll have to plug that URL into Archive.org and see if the diagrams are on there.

EDIT 2: Dang, they're not in the archive either. I'll have to try building one from memory I guess and see how it goes.

parag0n said:
I think a better option might be adapting the "spinner" control to work on an analog pad, but by using the analog pad normally. So the only difference with the d-pad would be that you could get it to move faster or slower.

But I don't know, I've never played this game. :)

Does Alien vs. Predator work well?

Man Firefox, this brings back memories. My cousin had a Jaguar, and all I would do was play Raiden on it. This looks awesome :D

Actually, now that I think about it, probably the cheapest/easiest(?) way to get a rotary controller for T2K working on Pandora would be to just hook up the 2600 driving controller to a generic USB gamepad in the same manner that it would have originally been hooked up to a Jaguar controller. Well, as long as the emulator supports USB gamepads. ;)

I'm pretty excited for this.

IMO, Alien vs. Predator was the reason to own a Jaguar. It seemed so ahead of it's time, and the minimalist yet accurate movie sounds were creepy. Of course, it's one weakness was the monotony and long stretches where little to nothing happened. Also - I could only beat it by accurate graph paper mapping. I wonder if I can find the maps online?

Besides that, I enjoyed fighters like Ultra Vortek and Kazumi Ninja though they were not great by any means. I also liked Hover Strike, and there was a very fun soccer game. I also spent way too much time on an RPG called Towers II - it wasn't very good.

I had a ton of games for it, but didn't enjoy too many - sadly.

Back