Anticipate The New Video Here

Pickle said:
I finally have UAE4ALL running with some controls and things are looking good. I would like to add scaling, fix bugs and should be good to go. Much faster than the others.

Awesome! Does UAE4ALL support hard drives, i.e. WHDLoad?

Last edited by a moderator:
UAE4ALL is a stripped back version of UAE, no HDD, 1MB chip only, no savestates just an a500 emulator basically so no WHDLoad, AGA, 020/030, 8MB fast ram etc..

My hopes were really with P-UAE and I hope gn0stic continues to work on it.

Pickle said:
P-UAE does run, but its not looking much different than UAE
I finally have UAE4ALL running with some controls and things are looking good. I would like to add scaling, fix bugs and should be good to go. Much faster than the others.
If you add scaling could you add a straight 2:1 H&V pixel double mode too? Otherwise if you stretch to full vertically it can get ugly due to uneven pixel sizes.

Good to hear that it is running well.

Good A500 emu (Uae4all) has been available for ages - PSP was very enjoyable (pspuae). Obviously no FS will be needed on Pandora.

All my expectations are on P-UAE.

While it's currently no faster (I was not expecting it to be - I don't believe there has been any optimisation work yet), it includes all the emulation core updates from very recent WinUAE core (if Gnostics posts to the UAE mailing list are correct). This is great, and I believe the first time in years Toni Wilens great work on WinUAE has been available on a Linux platform...

I've not looked at the code, but I believe it already supports savestates and hardfiles (don't quote me).

I suspect optmisation-wise it is going to be a case of profiling and improving the code as is, and not looking to drop in a fast core (e.g. Cyclone). Apart from being 68000 only (not 68020 or 68030) it is reportedly rather tricky to maintain crucial Amiga chipset timing....

Pickle - as you have currently tested P-UAE - what kind of speed are we talking if you boot with an 020 or 030 core? And what video setup is it currently using - any easy win's in terms of SDL/GFx acceleration?

I dont know how the different chips fare in PUAE, and actually I probably wont check. Im actually not into amiga that much (im more c64 :) )
im going to add a simple double and scale2x.

Anyone know have a good recommendation for a game that uses a mouse/cursor?

Yup, Lemmings is definitely what I would love to see running. Lemmings 2 would also be a great test with its Horizontal and Vertical scrolling possible on some levels.

Populous is another good mouse game for the Amiga. Loved that one, and can't wait to play it on the Pandora with the touch screen.

It would be really great if savestates work in PUAE. One of the only drawbacks of the precise emulation these days is that it's much preferable to skip the 100% accurate load times!

Pickle said:
I dont know how the different chips fare in PUAE, and actually I probably wont check. Im actually not into amiga that much (im more c64 :) )

Rock n Roll plays with a mouse. You guide a ball through labyrinths solving puzzles and avoiding hazards along the way. The ball rolls in the direction you push the mouse so you can control the speed but it can be pretty hard to avoid pits and other things. This game would be really sweet playing with your finger on the screen or by binding the mouse to the left analogue.

Pickle said:

Well the modes of the Amiga are (NTSC):

320 x 200. This would double 2X both horizontal and vertical to 640 x 400 on Pandora

320 x 400 interlace. This would double 2X horizontal and be 1:1 vertical to 640 x 400 on Pandora

640 x 200 (medium Res). This would be 1:1 horizontal, 2x doubled vertical.

640 x 400 interlace. This could be left as-is at 1:1 on Pandora.

Many applications packages use these different higher res modes while games mostly used only 320 x 200.

PAL used 56? more lines vertical but ran at 50 HZ instead of 60 Hz for NTSC. That won't probably matter for an emu.

Would Amiga CD games be playable? Like Heretic II? I figure probably not judging from the requirements. Does anyone know if it's likely/unlikely?

@Pickle: Any dosbox news?

Videos of current dosbox performance would be awesome.

If we get a reasonable speed fully featured UAE port (of some flavour) it would be awesome to have the Pandora boot a minimal kernel that auto started UAE mounting the 2nd SD card as an Amiga HD. With Picasso96 drivers a 800x480 high colour AmigaOS 3.9 Workbench would look amazing.

Running the Pandora as a portable “classic” Amiga would kick ass, especially if we get good HW integration (sound/GFX/controls/network etc). WHDLoad is a killer app on the gaming side and the productivity apps (PageStream, Dpaint, VistaPro, Lightwave, WordWorth, OctaMED, Imagine etc etc) from the Amiga would make for an amazing portable experience.

The Amiga’s library of games and applications is vast (stunningly vast when it comes to games), and when combined with a hard drive equipped Amiga (emulated or not) the “off the shelf” potential of the machine is awesome. 

DaveC said:
Pickle said:

Well the modes of the Amiga are (NTSC):

320 x 200. This would double 2X both horizontal and vertical to 640 x 400 on Pandora

320 x 400 interlace. This would double 2X horizontal and be 1:1 vertical to 640 x 400 on Pandora

640 x 200 (medium Res). This would be 1:1 horizontal, 2x doubled vertical.

640 x 400 interlace. This could be left as-is at 1:1 on Pandora.

Many applications packages use these different higher res modes while games mostly used only 320 x 200.

PAL used 56? more lines vertical but ran at 50 HZ instead of 60 Hz for NTSC. That won't probably matter for an emu.

Did any games really use the 320*200 res? I thought they all used at least 320*220? Unless the games auto adjusted for the US market? I'm trying to remember if the Amiga had borders on games. Been a long time since I used a real one!

A quick google seems to confirm it, 320*240 seems to be the main Amiga game resolution.

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=rKP&um=1&sa=1&q=amiga+games&btnG=Search&aq=f&oq=&start=0#start=0&imgtbs=z&imgw=320&imgh=240&tbo=1

Most Amiga games had borders.
IIRC overscan titles existed and stood out with this feature, games like Pacmania filled the entire screen.

kmob said:
Running the Pandora as a portable "classic" Amiga would kick ass, especially if we get good HW integration (sound/GFX/controls/network etc). WHDLoad is a killer app on the gaming side and the productivity apps (PageStream, Dpaint, VistaPro, Lightwave, WordWorth, OctaMED, Imagine etc etc) from the Amiga would make for an amazing portable experience.

Yea sounds good. What I've been wondering for the last few weeks is, WHDLoad aside, wether a small amiga tooltype could be created which could be associated with ADF files. So if you double clicked an ADF, the tooltype would interface with UAE and UAE would reboot and load that adf with the relevent settings (the basic UAE profile and other disks required could be specified in the tooltype).

That would be awesome!

The most challenging thing in Amiga emulation will probably be the touchscreen.

The Amiga is hardcoded to use a mouse. A mouse can't jump immediately from one spot to another like a touchscreen can.
It can only move with a given speed in a given direction.

Therefore, you can move the mouse around with the touchscreen, but as soon as you release it and put it on a different spot, the mouse doesn't jump to that spot. Moving the touchscreen still moves the mouse though.

I can think of three ways to fix this:

1. Create a custom kickstart image which includes a virtual touchscreen driver that talks to X somehow. Wouldn't work for games that don't use the touchscreen routines though.

2. Simulate mouse movement. i.e. if the last area the touchscreen was touching was X and the next one is Y, calculate a quick movement for the Amiga mouse and move it there with maximum speed. Should work with everything.

3. I don't know if the Amiga stores the position of the mousepointer in a certain spot in the RAM. If it does and it always is the same, the emulator could change that position according to the touchscreen.

Not an easy task to do.
Easiest thing is use the analog nub for mouse movement for the start. That will work fine without jumping around :)

As long as we can get Cannon Fodder working well I dont care ;)

I have the utmost confidence....

A 4th possibility would be to detect the position of Mouse cursor by doing a correlation of the screenbuffer with an image of the mousecursor. That would take far to much processing power, though (and require capturing an image of the mousecursor for every game, not to speak of applications with a changing mousecursor).

And a very simple 5th possibility would be to use the touchscreen only in a relative manner. I.e. you set the pen down and move it up, the mouse moves up, no matter where you set the pen down. As long as you remember to set the pen down where the mouse is, you can control the mouse cursor quite well like this. A set of sliders at the edge of the screen (Amiga is 4:3, Pandora is widescreen) could be used to quickly change the relative speed and acceleration of the touchscreen coordinates versus the mouse coordinates.

Back