Anticipate The New Video Here

trooper said:
Yep, My sentiments exactly, Any other way sounds childish. Maybe i`m an old fart, But that`s just me.

Trooper

Preach it, brother.

Jee You Aye. That's how it is. What about CD? Do you pronounce it "Kud"? No. You would sound like a foolish simpleton. How 'bout VGA? "oh, check the monitor is plugged into the Vugah port. Or the Hudmy port, as they have nowadays. Great! Now we can watch this new Duvvd! The soundtrack is recorded with Dolby Dutss!"

Last edited by a moderator:
EvilDragon said:
TrashyMG said:
coevin said:
Ed just wondering was the screen blur and ghosting during superfrog due to the frameskip, recording? Or is it an lcd issue? Great video i can't wait to get the amiga running on my pandora.

I barely noticed any ghosting even on 720p version, I did notice the overscan marks on the left side..

Never try to check for ghosting on ANY videos. I record an LCD which runs at 60i with 50i and then downconvert it to 25p for the Internet. It HAS to blur, there is no other way.

Did check for the ghosting issue, it's really a bit weird.
Seems like this is a mixture of timing, how scrolling works, etc.
In some games (Rainbow Islands, for example) it's visible but not as bad as making the game unplayable.
In some games (Turrican 1 & 2, SuperFrog, Speedball, Wonderboy in Monsterland ...) I can't make out any ghosting at all (just the normal slight blur every LCD has).
In some games (PacMania on the ST, Spindizzy Worlds) it's so bad it's almost unplayable.

Thank god most games are playable without noticing :)
I wonder if this has something to do with some games using special coloring, etc. that only really work on interlaced screens? It SHOULD be almost fixable with some filters I think.
It can't be the scrolling speed itself, as SuperFrog and Speedball have variable scrolling speeds so ghosting SHOULD be bad at least sometimes... but it's not.
PacMania has a constant scrolling speed.

If the game has a lot of dark colors or/and lots of black + scrolling, you're going to see ghosting. Things like black outlines on sprites.

You won't notice ghosting much if there is no pure black pixels, and no scrolling, and the colors used are overall bright and even. Pure colors however, like pure red green or blue will suffer from ghosting, because there are 2 sub-pixels turned off or near black ;)

One way to remove terrible ghosting from games that suffer from it, is to use a filter or shader that slightly increases the pure black / dark colors so that there is ALWAYS pixels / sub - pixels turned on slightly to improve their response time, at the cost of slightly inaccurate color for dark colors :) Best to have such a thing an option though, for those that prefer accurate colors, or less ghosting.

Loonie said:
trooper said:
Yep, My sentiments exactly, Any other way sounds childish. Maybe i`m an old fart, But that`s just me.

Trooper

Preach it, brother.

Jee You Aye. That's how it is. What about CD? Do you pronounce it "Kud"? No. You would sound like a foolish simpleton. How 'bout VGA? "oh, check the monitor is plugged into the Vugah port. Or the Hudmy port, as they have nowadays. Great! Now we can watch this new Duvvd! The soundtrack is recorded with Dolby Dutss!"
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqpd7WcBmjM[/youtube]

trooper said:
Butterman said:
Kloplop321 said:
Rathum said:
I noticed that ED pronounces it "guy". I've always pronounced it "gooey", but that's because it was how my first CS teacher pronounced it and he was from Kentucky >.>
Also, I'm really digging the netbook-launcher.

I say "gooey" too. It looks pretty sweet, I like it too. Though I would probably stick with the desktop-like interface Xfce

I hate it when people say it either way.

It's all about, G.U.I.

Trooper

Childish? :huh: Or maybe it's a convention? Also, maybe not everyone speaks English as their native language and pronouncing it as a word fits better in the tone of the language. Promotheus listed some good examples of acronyms that have become words.

fiori_musicali said:
Promotheus listed some good examples of acronyms that have become words.
Thankyou most kindly, but I can't take any credit for that - it wasn't me who listed those, it was Rathum. :)

Loonie said:
trooper said:

Trooper

Preach it, brother.

"Gooey" appears to be the pronunciation used by dictionaries. Also gui is a korean dish pronounce "gooey".

Do you say C D R O M or C D rahm?
L A S E R or laser?
A I D S or AIDS?
T H A C 0 or Thack-oh?
S C U B A or scuba?
L S A T or L sat?
J P E G or J peg?
G N U or gnu?
L A M E or lame?
F U B A R or fubar?
R A M or ram?
R A I D or raid?
C A P T C H A or CAPTCHA?
W I N E or wine?

Do you say C D R O M or C D rahm? CD-ROM
L A S E R or laser? Laser (It`s a word)
A I D S or AIDS? AIDS
T H A C 0 or Thack-oh? Don`t know this one.
S C U B A or scuba? Scuba, As in Scuba-Diver ?.
L S A T or L sat? L Sat
J P E G or J peg? J PEG
G N U or gnu? G N U
L A M E or lame? Lame
F U B A R or fubar? Fubar
R A M or ram? Ram
R A I D or raid? Raid
C A P T C H A or CAPTCHA? Captcha
W I N E or wine? Wine

Trooper

The UAE shown is this : http://www.amigaemulator.org/
(The GTK gui works, ED didnt show it)

I attempted to build E-UAE, but no luck yet.
I also built uae4all, fixed controls for pandora, but it wont load anything, not event the kicker.

I wasnt aware of PUAE: http://github.com/GnoStiC/PUAE
Interesting description: "Amiga Emulator (for Pandora & Unixish systems)"

Yep, it was the original UAE, the slowest of them all.

And one thing I noticed: There is no Frameskip 0! The best setting is FS 1 (which means it draws EVERY frame) and the second one FS 2.
So basically... it runs fullspeed by just skipping one frame! The normal UAE!

Incredible... think about what PUAE (based on UAE4ALL) can do on this system!

trooper said:
Do you say C D R O M or C D rahm? CD-ROM
L A S E R or laser? Laser (It`s a word)
A I D S or AIDS? AIDS
S C U B A or scuba? Scuba, As in Scuba-Diver ?.
L S A T or L sat? L Sat
J P E G or J peg? J PEG
G N U or gnu? G N U
L A M E or lame? Lame
F U B A R or fubar? Fubar
R A M or ram? Ram
R A I D or raid? Raid
C A P T C H A or CAPTCHA? Captcha
W I N E or wine? Wine

Trooper

I really wish these forums would stop breaking my flash so that I could reply without having to type my posts in a separate text editor.

Laser=Light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation
THAC0=To hit armor class 0. It's from D&D
Scuba=Self-contained underwater breathing apparatus

It really does come down to what's easier to say. The letters in the acronym or pronouncing it as a word. All of the examples I put there are acronyms that are most commonly said as words.

duty_calls.png

Title: What do you want me to do? LEAVE? Then they'll keep being wrong!

trooper said:

To Hit Armor Class Zero.

Jesus, that takes me back...

edit: Ninja'd, so I'll add something on-topic: I'd love to see EOTB2 played with the touchscreen!

EvilDragon said:
Did check for the ghosting issue, it's really a bit weird.
Seems like this is a mixture of timing, how scrolling works, etc.
In some games (Rainbow Islands, for example) it's visible but not as bad as making the game unplayable.
In some games (Turrican 1 & 2, SuperFrog, Speedball, Wonderboy in Monsterland ...) I can't make out any ghosting at all (just the normal slight blur every LCD has).
In some games (PacMania on the ST, Spindizzy Worlds) it's so bad it's almost unplayable.

Thank god most games are playable without noticing :)
I wonder if this has something to do with some games using special coloring, etc. that only really work on interlaced screens? It SHOULD be almost fixable with some filters I think.
It can't be the scrolling speed itself, as SuperFrog and Speedball have variable scrolling speeds so ghosting SHOULD be bad at least sometimes... but it's not.
PacMania has a constant scrolling speed.

Actually it is not weird at all if you think about how an LCD works. Ghosting is 100% related to the response time of the crystals. LCDs work by physically aligning liquid crystals to polarized filters. When you have saturated colors (black is just all colors at full saturation at once)you have more ghosting. Take one color like red for example. When the color is at full red then goes to full white the crystal has to twist the most angle. This full angle takes more time for the liquid crystals to move. This means that the more saturated the color the longer it takes the crystal to change orientation from white or off. If in a game the colors go from pure red to white and these colors are next to each other you will get ghosting. If you go from full red to medium red the crystals don't have to twist as much and so they take less time to do it and have more of a chance to "catch up". In this case the ghosting is not noticeable. Of course game colors are combinations of RGB so you get varying degrees of ghosting. Pure black to pure white at 60 FPS and right next to each other will look bad.

Then there is the framerate. If a game runs at 60 FPS this means it has to update 60 times per second. If the time it takes to change state from full on to full off is slower than 60 times per second then you get ghosting because the screen is updating faster than the crystals can move and you will see the colors left over from the previous frame still. You don't se this in some games as they don't update as smooth. You mentioned Amiga is running at FS2 that is pretty choppy as it is only running at 15 FPS. You won'r get ghosting because the screen can update faster than 15 times a second.

Do a test run the Amiga game of battle Squadron at your 15 FPS and then try it in Picodrive running at 60 FPS. You will see some ghosting in Picodrive but not in Amiga due to the framerate.

So basically it is a combination of color contrast and framerate that will cause the ghosting. With the obvious worst case being a scrolling game running at 60 FPS and with darker or more saturated color.

You don't want to use filters that will just reduce the contrast so much that the colors will always look washed out. If you try to use them to reduce the contrasting colors next to each other you will get a blurry mess. You can run everything as FS1 but then things will look choppy. I am afraid the only thing to fix it and still look decent is to use a faster LCD, reduce framerates, ditch LCD for OLED, or just live with it.

What stylus is being used in the video?

It looks like an aluminum shafted stylus... Is there a stylus like that available that fits in the Pandora stylus slot?

EvilDragon said:
Yep, it was the original UAE, the slowest of them all.

And one thing I noticed: There is no Frameskip 0! The best setting is FS 1 (which means it draws EVERY frame) and the second one FS 2.
So basically... it runs fullspeed by just skipping one frame! The normal UAE!

Incredible... think about what PUAE (based on UAE4ALL) can do on this system!
I think you mean it draws every OTHER frame. FS0 draws every frame. FS1 means it skips every other frame meaning it runs at 30 FPS instead of 60.

And FUBAR? That is what this thread is becoming with all of the stupid off-topic acronym talk, Fucked Up Beyond All Repair!

ED - P-Menu looks freakin AWESOME!

Ubuntu loader looks nice. Seems like I'll mostly use P-Menu.
I'm going to order a Pandora for my Wife (2nd Batch) ! P-Menu or Unbuntu loader will make it far better for her to play with!

kingoddball said:

I'm going to order a Pandora for my Wife (2nd Batch) ! P-Menu or Unbuntu loader will make it far better for her to play with!
Pmenu looks ok except for the fact that you can only see 6 apps on screen at once. All of that screen area and resolution and it only shows 6? That seems like a waste and if you have allot of stuff that means allot of scrolling to get to what you want. I think there should be an option to use more area and show icons instead so you can access them faster and see what you have on the card easier. If you are trying to see if something is on that card you will have to scroll a whole lot until you can even see if it is there. It seems like a lot of space is taken up with "fluff" and not much is devoted to the whole idea of a launcher, your apps! That is just my feeling.

DaveC said:
And FUBAR? That is what this thread is becoming with all of the stupid off-topic acronym talk, Fucked Up Beyond All Repair!
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFORK

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/52037-acronym-pronunciation/

DaveC said:
kingoddball said:

Pmenu looks ok except for the fact that you can only see 6 apps on screen at once. All of that screen area and resolution and it only shows 6? That seems like a waste and if you have allot of stuff that means allot of scrolling to get to what you want. I think there should be an option to use more area and show icons instead so you can access them faster and see what you have on the card easier. If you are trying to see if something is on that card you will have to scroll a whole lot until you can even see if it is there. It seems like a lot of space is taken up with "fluff" and not much is devoted to the whole idea of a launcher, your apps! That is just my feeling.

You can show more then 6, it's just that everyone that has made skins has followed the example provided by cpasjuste. But ... it's only possible to show them in a single column.

Yes. The large icons are a waste of screen real estate. I would prefer a smaller icon size and have far more icons. It is a touch screen. It's not going to be hard to select the icon you want.

@ MDAVE: What do you mean by single column?
You can have multiple rows of icons?
I think something like 4 x 4 rows would be efficient. I plan on having a hell of a lot of apps/progs!

kingoddball said:
Yes. The large icons are a waste of screen real estate. I would prefer a smaller icon size and have far more icons. It is a touch screen. It's not going to be hard to select the icon you want.

@ MDAVE: What do you mean by single column?
You can have multiple rows of icons?
I think something like 4 x 4 rows would be efficient. I plan on having a hell of a lot of apps/progs!

It's programmed so only 1 single column of apps is possible, no rows. Mainly because it looks neater having the application name and description next to the icons like that. It's not something the skin artists can control through the skin config file.

Back