Release Angry Birds for Pandora

Has anybody opened up the PND? I'm not interested in Angry Birds, but if it's easy to slot the Skype client in (which is free), I'd love to see that (yes, I know it's text only, but still handy)

I see there arm executable and some libs [probably native angstrom libs..].

Looking at other Android apps, I'm starting to think Rovio did an unusual thing in making a version of Angry Birds using entirely native code (rather than the usual Java -> Dalvik route).

I'm guessing, that since it's so popular, they can afford to make different versions for different platforms, instead of one version that uses a virtual machine (as it seems is usually the case with Android apps). It may be that it's relatively CPU intensive, so they need all the efficiency they can get.

In other words, getting Android running on the Pandora still seems like the best option for running Android stuff.

So we need to ask ROVIO by email, or BETTER option ask *real* porter, since he knows best, whats going on.. ROVIO as any other company can say a lot of bullsh*s and we will not go anywhere..

Given the fact that Chell hasn't participated in this discussion here (as far as we can tell), I would be surprised if he suddenly turned up to post details about the port.

Angry Birds Warning: This game is super addictive! Take cannon fodder add in some worms, turn them into birds and poof! There goes your free time . . . :D

can't believe no-one has at least posted a screenshot, let alone a video of it running. Would be an interesting turning point for Pandora, and would certainly traction some press ..... Angry Birds will always get you a mainstream article, even if it is the fact that someone has hacked an image to get it working

Its still out there on the interwebs, its very easy to find it if you just want to :p I hope its a leaked beta from rovio but I doubt it.

I think that the reason nobody has posted a video is because then there'd be proof that they had both downloaded and played the game, which is more than likely not a particularly smart move. That said, I'm sure someone will 'find' some pictures or footage before too mugh longer.

OK. Heres a small appeal for Chell:

Could You reveal yourself on this forum [we dont care if you'll be using TOR / Anonymous proxy]. We would like just get more info and reveal of the legality of AB for Pandora. If You cant reveal Yourself , i'll send a question right to ROVIO via email, is AB legit.

BTW. Im 100% sure that you're reading this topic from time to time..

If that's not right off the N900, I'll eat my hat. Same resolution screen, same architecture, and same OS fundamentals. The N900 isn't multi-touch, and has a keyboard which imposed the same quirky multi-touch workarounds as documented by other posters.

The original Angry Birds was free on the N900, but it was quickly followed by an expansion pack which was paid-for. It being free doesn't make it legal to distribute freely, though!

I don't know if I still have Angry Birds on my N900, or access to the Ovi store, but I'll have a dig for the binary so I can compare the two.

Gadgetoid, dig up Your archives and compare both AB versions. Maybe we will force some commercial devs to make few releases for OP. Its better for devs to earn few bucks [while releasing some stuff for OP] than earn nothing [if they'll not release anything and let us hack some N900 apps / games].

BTW. Its a shame that Craig didnt introduced any good solution for indie devs to earn some money on OP releases, like iStore OviStore and so..

Last edited:
The original Angry Birds was free on the N900, but it was quickly followed by an expansion pack which was paid-for. It being free doesn't make it legal to distribute freely, though!

Ah-- so downloading it directly from the app store, then ripping it from the device and packaging it yourself should be legal, then? Or perhaps the PND should be all ready to go, and you just drop the data in the appdata folder, much like those games whose engines have been re-written.

Copyright law really burns my arse. The notion that you can "own" an idea or thought is poppycock in the first place, but worse yet is this bullshit where you can legally and freely obtain a result from a process but the result itself is illegal to distribute.

I have a really excellent proposal for managing this kind of thing under the law. It would look something like this, though I'm not a lawyer and it would need to be translated to legalese and any holes would need to be patched.

"No process, being made up of legal and discernably individual steps of which none are trade secrets or protected by patents or a similar mechanism, shall be made illegal. AND

If a widely distributable and legally sound process, being executable without necessitating financial trade between two entities, produces a given result, then the result of the process is distributable."

Last edited by a moderator:
If that's not right off the N900, I'll eat my hat. Same resolution screen, same architecture, and same OS fundamentals. The N900 isn't multi-touch, and has a keyboard which imposed the same quirky multi-touch workarounds as documented by other posters.
Like ED said, that's a bit unlikely since N900 only has 1.5.2 version available, and this is 1.6.2. Android runs tweaked Linux kernel after all, perhaps the java frontend could have been replaced with something pandora friendly.

Like ED said, that's a bit unlikely since N900 only has 1.5.2 version available, and this is 1.6.2. Android runs tweaked Linux kernel after all, perhaps the java frontend could have been replaced with something pandora friendly.
Would you like your hat fired or stewed, Gadgetoid? :p

The latest version for WebOS is 1.5 though, so it can't be that.

I had a look at a pirated version of angry birds for android - in the apk there's a libangrybirds.so file that's exactly the same as libangrybirds.so in the pnd. So I'm guessing that whoever made this pnd, compiled a small app (called 'main', tellingly) that calls the right startup function in libangrybirds.so. There's probably more too it though.

Back