Android Yes/No (Split from Some more of my ideas thread)

^ Wow, it's like you are repulsed by the thought of Android and are looking for every negative you can to fight it and downplay Android consideration.
 And my concerns are very valid. Feel free to explain why I'm wrong :)
Fae is not saying you're "wrong". He's saying you're (overly?) aggressive when it comes to talking about it.

As for who would support it, my point is let ED look into it rather than making fear mongering comments like no-one will support it.
I'd like to see Android supported, but it's not realistic. How many people support Android on the Pandora? None. None at all. Notaz packaged it up to see if it could be done, and then dropped it. There is nobody in this community that is willing to pick it up.

Are you going to take up the job?

D.

Are you going to take up the job?
I considered it... or at least wondering if I could fix the SD card thing. But considering my Allegro PNDs don't seem to work on some devices, my deminishing time, and that Notaz is a shit load smarter than me, I figured I'd probably get nowhere :(

"The kind of people you attract with Android" , that's a reasonable argument?

If Android isn't included in the box, then it needs to as simple as selecting an option to download and install it automatically while setting up your device.

This is even better then flashing images at buying. Let the people choose during the first boot if they want Android + Linux or Linux only. 

Maybe add a "reset to factory settings" button somewhere hidden (maybe under the battery, only reachable with a pen) which would delete the NAND and ask again the Linux and Android question. 

For the developer costs of Android. Maybe ED has to take the cost and pay someone to port it to the Pandora. The money from Android sales would be worth it, if we make a seperate board for them, so we seperate between "linux console hackers" and "android gui clickers cosumers" which expect to work everything out of the box and give Drastic 1 Star because the games doesn't ship with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was meant be an edit of my previous post... which was infact meant to be a response to your previous post... but to boil it down:

Your concerns are valid and I do agree, the option you find reasonable I also find reasonable... I think that's what we should push for - Android not included, but an easy way to download and install it when setting up the device first time or from within device settings.

The sooner this option is supported the better, but if it isnt ready for launch, I wont lose any sleep over it.

Unless ED decides to hire someone to do Android, or some android expert appears out of nowhere and does it (yeah right), it's not going to happen.

I wouldn't object to shipping Android if it can be done without costing ED any of his valuable time, at no extra cost, and without extra license fees. So maybe if we can convince the Replicant community to support the Pandora successor, that would be great. I just don't want ED to throw any money at this - the device will be expensive enough already - and particularly no money in Microsoft's direction.

Personally, I would like the android option as a download feature too as I do understand ekianjo concerns that it may end up just being viewed as an android machine if it works straight out of the box. Also, in a case like that, people may end up rather purchasing an android tablet rather than the P2. 

Unless ED decides to hire someone to do Android, or some android expert appears out of nowhere and does it (yeah right), it's not going to happen.
^this

I got a quote at one point $20k (14k EUR) was what I was told from 1 company. Asking some friends I have backs up that quote as they've been paid similar slightly lower amounts to do similar projects as independent contractors.

Still hoping to hear from ED on this one.

(I'm almost certain the answer is being actively avoided as to not commit himself oneway or the other and the answer will be "leave it to the community" ie "not going to happen".)

I've been going to school to get into this business of OSD, but I'm not quite there yet or else I'd do it myself.

The edge was a dual boot concept , ie Ubuntu and Android . None of the community that supported it saw it as an Android device, it was viewed as a Ubuntu phone that could also boot Android. Don't believe the fear mongering.

The edge was a dual boot concept , ie Ubuntu and Android . None of the community that supported it saw it as an Android device, it was viewed as a Ubuntu phone that could also boot Android. Don't believe the fear mongering.
How much specific software was developed for it ? I guess I know the answer.

Don't believe the ones who say don't believe the fear mongering. :)

People bought it up because theirs no alternative to android at the moment. Once Tizen/Jolla and Firefox OS pick up steam those groups will move away from Canonical - that shifty company that seem to be experts in half doing a project, fudging it then dropping it halfway through

That kickstarter was obviously a free advertising campaign for Ubuntu and was priced so ridiculously it never had a hope of succeeding. That Mark Shuttleworth is a rogue and a scoundrel and a plight on the linux community.

Canonical has cash galore and does care one bit about FOSS. Also, that was a phone, in a standard phone sense. They had the worst advertising ive seen since amiga. "convergence toy" is the phrase i remember. Talking about wishful specs for a device you dont have to deliver isnt quite the same as what we are dealing with. The source is available, sure, make the shoe fit, but dont go the other way and demand it be bundled, that is shooting oneself in the foot. MS sticks around and waits till you have shipped a certain amount of devices.

If the Pandora Succesor, will be backwarts compatible to the Pandora 1, then whe dont need a Android preeinstallet on the Pandora2, as it can use the gingerbreat.pnd from the P1,

And as the Pandora 2 will much more Powerfull, the Android.pnd will apple to play the games whe need (Minecraft, GTA3)..

So, maybe, ther will be a ginge for the Pandora 2, this would be gread..

Im happy whit the Ideas from EvilDragon,

A better Case, more Power, the same batterie as the Pandora 1 (but i dont want to use the Batterie of my Pandora 1 on the Pandora 2, as it is verry old, when the sucessor will be out..)

Im looking forward tho the Pandora2, but i have until then my Pandora 1, so the waiting time cant bee that long..

"The kind of people you attract with Android" , that's a reasonable argument?
Are you saying it's the same kind of user as Linux ones? I dont think so.
My only Linux device is my Pandora... due to my lifestyle, I use android more than any other os.

Am I an undesirable part of this community? ;)

But I do understand where you are coming from. Im not your typical Android user.

Back