Android Yes/No (Split from Some more of my ideas thread)

Then there will be revenue lost from those that won't buy it because they are interested in Android but not the hassle of loading it themselves .  I think it's only fair that if the majority of people wanted dual boot, then the option is explored. We don't even know for certain if a license is taken by MS.  That said, if it is the case and is a reasonable amount , then I have no issue with it.  

^If that's the case , and as I said before, lets find out how much and then decide.  

I think it's only fair that if the majority of people wanted dual boot, then the option is explored
Dual boot is going to eat up internal memory space, which means it's going to be split between a Linux Distro and Android. That's a problem if you really want to have a full distribution and if you want, on top, to keep installing programs for it.

Then there will be revenue lost from those that won't buy it because they are interested in Android
Erm... do you really want to attract a bunch of Android fans to the Pandora ? To make it more mainstream ? I see two issues with that:

- you'll increase your user base but you'll need to do much more support because of these people who can't be bothered to try things on their own or who are not Computer literate and come from the smartphone/tablet world

- ED does not have the structure, nor the capacity to produce, ship and package huge amounts of devices at this stage. It's better to avoid attracting mainstream audience until we have proper structures to support it behind the scenes.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I'd like to hear Exo's views on that , my feeling is 3GB should suffice.

Then there will be revenue lost from those that won't buy it because they are interested in Android
Erm... do you really want to attract a bunch of Android fans to the Pandora ? To make it more mainstream ? I see two issues with that:

- you'll increase your user base but you'll need to do much more support because of these people who can't be bothered to try things on their own or who are not Computer literate and come from the smartphone/tablet world

- ED does not have the structure, nor the capacity to produce, ship and package huge amounts of devices at this stage. It's better to avoid attracting mainstream audience until we have proper structures to support it behind the scenes.
It will still be niche, the price will gaurantee that.  

^ I'd like to hear Exo's views on that , my feeling is 3GB should suffice.
3Gb for what ?

A full Linux distro can take several gigabytes already. 

It will still be niche, the price will gaurantee that.  
then the niche can definitely handle installing Android by themselves. 

^ Man the  hate. Almost as bad as the MS and Apple fanboys.  

Not sure if were talking the same thing, by dual boot I mean the option to load one or the other at startup. I'd like to hear Exo's input on what that would require.

^ Man the  hate. Almost as bad as the MS and Apple fanboys.  
Nothing to do with that. I just don't see why you want to force-feed Android to everyone, as being installed on the device by default (as dual boot). Why don't you make it a choice ?

I don't want to waste memory space on Android if I have no desire/need to use it. 

Seriously if there's an image out there, to just flash Android on your Pandora successor NAND, what;s the big deal ? 

^ I don't know why you want to deny it to everyone, especialy if they have indicated that that's what they want. 

^ I don't know why you want to deny it to everyone, especialy if they have indicated that that's what they want. 
everyone ???

EVERYONE ?

Huh...

https://www.youtube.com/embed/74BzSTQCl_c?feature=oembed

First.

A poll is NOT everyone. I didn't see 4000+ people voting.

Second.

Polls results showed a majority. Not 100%. 

Third.

I'd like to see clear PROS and CONS to including Android. The poll didn't show that at all. It makes it seem like it's without consequences. Of course then, "do you have one stuff or more for the price of one ?". Obviously people are going to want more. But consider the potential issues:

Effect on price. Effect on Memory space. Effect on brand image (ah, "another shitty android device" is what people are going to think first). You'll get obvious comparisons with the Shield. You'll get more complaints. You'll need ongoing support to update Android. Who's going to commit doing that? Which resources? And so on.

Don't take this kind of positioning lightly. I'd rather have a real, proper Linux distro support that having a half cooked Linux distro and a half cooked Android version. Quality first.

The everyone was in reference to you denying it to everyone as standard.

^ as for the rest , that's a lot of assumptions. But anyway, you hate everything except Linux, noted.

^ as for the rest , that's a lot of assumptions. But anyway, you hate everything except Linux, noted.
Never said that. But Android is a system for phones and tablets, it's just not a great fit for a Clam-Shell design. 

The above were not assumptions, they were risks I could imagine.

You don't answer any of the concerns, noted, so I guess you don't want to consider potential negative outcomes. 

^ I said Id like Exo's input on the memory requirements etc, so I don't know why you said that.

As for Android, to me it adds a dimension that's needed on a P2.  Having another Linux & Emulation device is not enough reason, for me anyway, to shell out $600 .  You would just stick to the P1 since it runs most emu's fine anyway.  Having Android opens up the obvious gaming platform Android is becoming. It will allow you to play the most kick ass power hungry games that will come out on Android .

Having it on a P2 will give you the best of all worlds, A great Linux Emu device, a great Linux handheld, and a device that will allow you to play Android games that is beginning to be the future  gaming platform .  

Ie the best device for past and future gaming as well as being a kickass Linux handheld

Nothing to do with that. I just don't see why you want to force-feed Android to everyone, as being installed on the device by default (as dual boot). Why don't you make it a choice ?

I don't want to waste memory space on Android if I have no desire/need to use it. 

Seriously if there's an image out there, to just flash Android on your Pandora successor NAND, what;s the big deal ?
Probably because the people that would prefer Android wouldn't be quite so "confortable" in reflashing their unit.
Personally, I'd like Android as an option. I have a few APKs from Humble Bundles, and rather than forking out for a tablet I'll rarely use, it'd be nice to keep it with my other useful stuff on the Pandora (without it deciding to wipe out my SD card).

Ok, given that Notaz doesn't want to have anything more to do with developing a Pandora Android package, who do you suggest will take over? Someone will have to do it, and all I see are people demanding that it's present for dual-booting.

We don't even know if the current OS devs want to work on the P2, and none of them have elected to improve the current Android offering.

D.

Having Android opens up the obvious gaming platform Android is becoming. It will allow you to play the most kick ass power hungry games that will come out on Android .
You want Android for GAMES? DId I read correctly? Apart from a couple of worthy titles, the Android catalog is shite, honestly. What games do you really want to play ?  

Actually I was rather expecting you to say you want Android for Skype and applications we dont have on Linux ARM.

^ There are quite bit of good games on Android, and that is only growing. Especially with the growing number of Android consoles.  

As for other applications on Android, I'm sure that s a draw for others, and it does have appeal for me to. But primarily it's the games for me.

Back