Android Yes/No (Split from Some more of my ideas thread)

EssoAir

ED, whats your thoughts on Android preinstalled? Have you considered speaking with the Cyanogenmod team? They are already working with Oppo to have their flavor of Android preinstalled on some devices. Maybe the P2 could be another Cyanogenmod device?

ED, whats your thoughts on Android preinstalled? Have you considered speaking with the Cyanogenmod team? They are already working with Oppo to have their flavor of Android preinstalled on some devices. Maybe the P2 could be another Cyanogenmod device?
You can put it afterward for yourself as I don't want ED do spend money for this piece of... which will get passed down to the cost end-users have to pay.

Although I dont own an android device, I think that it would be good to have it nicely featured. The openpandora would have added android software and there are some interesting apps created by various coders. The more software it can handle, the more creation and flexibility the machine will have and most probably the longer it's life span.

My friend and I made a game Beam Team:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/fTE--HO2nP4?feature=oembed

I know little about the android and I'm not sure if the game works on the current pandora's android functions. But if the new pandora has better android capabilities, then at least it can make having to create different versions of an app to make it work on it less hassle.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can put it afterward for yourself as I don't want ED do spend money for this piece of... which will get passed down to the cost end-users have to pay.
Im all for a full linux distro, but my understanding was there were a lot of users who were interested in having Android pre-installed as well

Im all for a full linux distro, but my understanding was there were a lot of users who were interested in having Android pre-installed as well
By lots you mean Craig. That's just two of you. 
Ahhh no, to be fair , last time we had a vote (via the poll that mysteriously went missing), the majority selected Dual boot Linux + Android with both being supported.  

I'm quite interested and eager to hear if android will be officially supported or not as well. AOSP or cyanogenmod doesn't exactly matter as they are easily interchangeable.

"Leaving it to the community" is not a good enough alternative as seen by past history.

Official Linux support I'm sure is a given if ED is calling the shots here.

Hopefully this subject isn't being actively avoided.

the majority selected Dual boot Linux + Android with both being supported

That's because the majority aren't assholes who would intentionally sabotage someone else's interests :p

I voted for dual boot though I have no real interest in running Android.  If it can be done easily enough, and with a lot of modern SoCs it's almost a given, I don't see any reason not to include it.

the majority selected Dual boot Linux + Android with both being supported
That's because the majority aren't assholes who would intentionally sabotage someone else's interests :p

I voted for dual boot though I have no real interest in running Android. If it can be done easily enough, and with a lot of modern SoCs it's almost a given, I don't see any reason not to include it.
Yay <3

But on that I still feel that the desktop distro should be given priority. But id really like to see Cyanogenmod. that way the CM team can take over the development and ED wont have to worry about it.

It's not like you will have anything ELSE but Cyanogenmod anyway
CM take the Android sources, compile them, and package them for different devices.  There's nothing stopping someone from doing the same.  In fact, there are a lot of groups producing Android ROMs for many different phones, CyanogenMod just happens to be the most popular.

edit: Is it just me or does it look like I just broke the forum?

-1 for android, i dont want google to watch me
-1 for Android because of spys
Sorry guys, "not Android because of spying" is *stupid*. What about chemtrails, is it next step of paranoia? Use cyanogenmode, no problem.

Most of you know that I'm not a fan of Craig, but I have agree with him: make gadget today, NOT compatible with Android is stupid. Dual boot, interchangeable, whatever, but ...Android as easy option. Even watches today are Andro-compatible! E.g. Samsung Galaxy Gear. Google Glass is on the way...

In same style: When Pandora was born, nobody knew about Android so from today's view it is a fail. ED, please do not repeat same mistakes:  watch closely at TizenOS. It should be compatible with Android, and strong players are behind it. Yolla is also producing interesting stuff, it could be fun if that could be merged somehow... After all, it is all Linux.

What I'd like to see is something that keeps the Device alive without battery for some seconds.

If I have to swap battery the Device should go into extreme low power mode for some seconds until I can put a new battery inside.
This isn't very realistic. What it needs is a reliable and reasonably fast suspend-to-storage mode.
But people did it for Raspberry Pi, it could be just a cheap condensator. It was needed for power break when open/close lid of Motorola lapdock.

Some random ideas that could be implemented:

- modularity - place for interchangeable USB+magnet modules (camera, led light, spec. card reader slot, extra 3G sim slot, projector, gps module, extra memory, laser gun...) which could be self designed and 3D printed, or ordered in kit or complete from web shop.

- if 3G/4G sim slot is in plan, maybe 2 of them in start is a good choice: it becomes standard even at cheap Chinese phones. If that's not of big extra cost.

- if we are talking about phone possibilities, camera and led flashlight should be some kind of option. Beside, Wireless (BT?) earphone that could stored in case when not used sounds fun for me.

- I agree that 360 hinge (or similar) opening as at tablets is fun.

EDIT - @Wizardstan: You din't do it - I broked the forum. I am the One. Glitch in the Matrix :)

But id really like to see Cyanogenmod. that way the CM team can take over the development and ED wont have to worry about it.
It's not like you will have anything ELSE but Cyanogenmod anyway.
Replicant, AOSP, AOKP, etc. there are lots of options out there. Why would I automatically "get" CM?
Replicant should be the best option as it is FLOSS as it could be. but it is not advanced enough afaik. Cyanogenmod is most mature and most advanced version of repacked "stock" Android, but right now it seems that it becoming half-closed. They should probably buy some 3rd party licensees that are closed and so on.

Personally I liked UrukDroid idea, open source mix of Linux and Android for 7" tablets. But I am not sure how much of it is applicable today/tomorrow..

Shipping android is a super duper way to get patent-rolled by microsoft. Not doing so is a super way to learn how to install it yourself. Provided you actually want android, and there are those that dont.

Shipping android is a super duper way to get patent-rolled by microsoft. Not doing so is a super way to learn how to install it yourself. Provided you actually want android, and there are those that dont.
True, many of Microsoft profits actually come from patents they claim on every Android unit sold out there.
It's worth finding out what the license fees are, some of the articles i've read suggest between $1 - $8 a unit.  But none of them confirmed the charges or if in fact MS do actually charge.

I don't want to give any money to MS, please. I think it's best to have just one officially supported OS (some distro of GNU/Linux), and let the other OS'es be handled by the community.

About the RAM: I would prefer faster and lower power RAM over larger quantities of it. 1GB is a minimum, but it's enough. Ideally I'd like 2GB of LPDDR3 RAM. If the SoC supports that of course.

Back