An almost naked Pyra

That's the usual DVFS governor, but by throttling notaz means that the temperature is monitored and the clocks are lowered (probably aggressively lowered) when the temperature gets too high in an attempt to lower it. There's a standard Linux daemon for this too:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/thermald/

Ideally throttling should also be available at the hardware level, although it'll probably be a lot more coarse grained. But if the software method works well enough it's good enough to have the hardware shut down, although that puts the onus on people putting together third party OS distros to include throttling support.
I'd be in favor of a hardware level shutdown to prevent damage, not a throttle. I'd want the throttle kernel or governor level.

Something I could bypass if I felt like being an idiot, and the hardware shutdown that can't be bypassed without surgery for the cases of random lockups causing software not to function the way it should as happens from time to time. I don't want my stupidity to actually permanently damage the hardware, I'd only want it to impact system stability or physical comfort.

Last edited:
I'd be in favor of a hardware level shutdown to prevent damage, not a throttle. I'd want the throttle kernel or governor level.

Something I could bypass if I felt like being an idiot, and the hardware shutdown that can't be bypassed without surgery for the cases of random lockups causing software not to function the way it should as happens from time to time. I don't want my stupidity to actually permanently damage the hardware, I'd only want it to impact system stability or physical comfort.

if the hardware is going to step in and do something anyway I'd prefer throttling because I can recover from that faster. Plus shutdown could result in losing things.

But I could see why people would want to at least know that it's doing something.

It looks gorgeous! That keyboard is beautiful! This device really looks much fancier than the Pandora. It is kind of like a fancy version of the Pandora :)

• While the flat keyboard buttons look awesome, there certainly is a reason why all mobile keyboards I've seen so far are curved a bit. While typing works okay, accidental button presses easily happen, as the space between the keys is narrow. The mobile keypads solve that with a bit of an elevation in the middle and a recession at the edges of the key: Your finger automatically finds the absolute middle of the key, and as the area surrounding it is a bit recessed, you also don't easily hit that key. This also is an easy fix, I just need to do some more testing.

I thought on most keyboards that type decent there's some dent in the key that makes you naturaly move your finger to the deepest point instead of a bump... I think it will feel more natural as you won't have the feeling your finger can slide of.
Though i love my Pandora, I always thought the keys were a bit ackward and tend to make me not push the key straight down.
It could be that the keys are to little but could you run a test on both options?

I was thinking about something more like this
Psion_Series3_System_s2.jpg

Not sure if any studies have been done, but wonder if convex bumps may lend to thumb typing than concave divot keys. My guess bumps are better in that they give you a sense of having more space between keys and gives you something to center on when hitting.

Last edited:
That psion is a 10-finger device though, you come at it from a perpendicular angle, rather than swiping across with thumbs.

Regardless of the inner concavity, you end up hitting the hard edges a lot if its just like that.

I thought on most keyboards that type decent there's some dent in the key that makes you naturaly move your finger to the deepest point instead of a bump... I think it will feel more natural as you won't have the feeling your finger can slide of.
On a full size touch type keyboard that your FINGERS type on, then yes, concave (dent) is preferred. The Pyra is NOT a touch type keyboard. It is a thumb keyboard. The domed tops actually help prevent your thumb from sliding off.

Thumbs are highly articulated. Finding the right key, via consciously or not counting the key tops as they slide by under the thumb is important. Having a crest on top of the key allows that. Also, convex (peaked) keys give more room for big thumbs to be able to push in one key at a time. So, domed tops lead to easier location and selectivity.

Not sure if any studies have been done, but wonder if convex bumps may lend to thumb typing than concave divot keys. My guess bumps are better in that they give you a sense of having more space between keys and gives you something to center on when hitting.
That is the selectivity item. Don't forget that having those peaks on the keys also allows you to find them easier without looking.

OMG - I faint!
Hello Mrk, welcome to the boards. First time poster I see.
What made you faint? The Psion? The concave/convex keys? The dillema? Or the first post, with pictures of the Pyra?

Reactions: Mrk
If you can send me a compiled version of Drastic with the highres rendering included, I can test it on the EVM, if you like.

Just updating here to let you know I sent something yesterday in case you didn't see the PM, since I know PMs can be easy to miss sometimes.

Back