Nothing to show, but a lot happened.

I only know a little Latin. I wanted to take it in school but they weren't teaching it.

I only know a little Latin. I wanted to take it in school but they weren't teaching it.
I think in my year there are about 40 people who have taken Latin. *shudder*
I would have, but the timing conflicted with my three other extra courses (philosophy, IT, choir/special music course). All the courses that did interest me were the additional ones for which you had to stay longer in school and some of them were at the same time.

I think in my year there are about 40 people who have taken Latin. *shudder*
 I would have, but the timing conflicted with my three other extra courses (philosophy, IT, choir/special music course). All the courses that did interest me were the additional ones for which you had to stay longer in school and some of them were at the same time.
I had that too. I suspect they changed the time table a little because they felt bad about me not getting music as a main subject (there was one person missing who wanted that subject). So at least now I have IT and additional math, which was supposed to be at the same time at first (and I'm in the school choir and sometimes participate in the orchestra - I'm going to participate in a solo recorder+solo flute+string concert next year).I also have to stay in school longer all the time, I'm one of maybe three or so students who have school every single afternoon.

But here, Latin is one of the main courses. In 6th grade you choose between French and Latin, and usually about 2/5 take Latin. It's usually not available anymore after the 10th grade though because not enough people want to continue it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did latin for a year when I was 13/14. Kind of pointless, and I've forgotten almost all of it by now, but I actually preferred it to learning German, which I did the year after, though that's probably largely down to the teacher. Course, when I had to choose for my GCSEs I went for French, with the seksy french French teacher.

Back