GP2X Amiga Emu

Eolair posted on Dec 19 2005 at 09:44 PM said:
*quickly writes down the amiga games available on other platforms*

Thanks for the list guys. At least it's better than no amiga games at all :)

ooh. if you're into that little lot, you might also want to check out 'Gauntlet 4' on the megadrive. I discovered this little gem the other day, and its the BEST version of gauntlet ever! it's got a really cool 'quest' mode (sounds naff, but is actually good) and the music and graphics and everything is great. It's waay better than the amiga version, which was a bit lacking IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont really mind if FPS is low i just would love a release, im gettin my 2x on crimbo, i only really want to play UFO enemy unknown, Settlers and alot of other games that are slow non-action orientated which wont be too affected by low framerates.
I think its great this emu is being looked into and appreciate all your efforts.

Thanks

there are several games i would LOVE to play on the 2x with UAE : gianna sisters!, shufflepuck cafe, arkanoid, killing gameshow, starglider, stund track racer, major motion and a bunch of others! i actually have all of those games for my a500 and 1000! i got a real haul of amiga stuff at an auction not too long ago here is a pic :D you would NOT belive the deal i got for it all too! guess what i paid :D

triton posted on Dec 19 2005 at 09:40 PM said:
there are several games i would LOVE to play on the 2x with UAE : gianna sisters!, shufflepuck cafe, arkanoid, killing gameshow, starglider, stund track racer, major motion and a bunch of others! i actually have all of those games for my a500 and 1000! i got a real haul of amiga stuff at an auction not too long ago here is a pic :D you would NOT belive the deal i got for it all too! guess what i paid :D

StarGlider, StuntCarRacer, Major Motion were ports from the ST, so they'll be very playable there in my emu in a bit ;) Arkanoid, Guianna Sisters and such are very good on the ST, if not identical to the Amiga ones. Some others are on the ST as well but with inferior music..

jeff

It is true that most Amiga games were ported from the ST. Like today developers have the tendency to port from the weakest to the strongest. Kind of like today where most Xbox games are PS2 ports. This way if it runs on the ST it certainly will be fine on the Amiga but not the other way around. For example if a game was made for the Amiga using 32 colors out of 4096 it would have to be converted to the STs 16 colors out of 512. This takes work.

Sound on the other hand was usually redone for the Amiga because the chipset was so different you really couldn't port that from the ST.

well good to know and also not good, means i have t download those roms again lol. would you belive i paid less than 25$ for all of that! 2 full boxes of software of all sorts, 2 amiga 1000s in original boxes with original foam and all a 1080 monitor in original box with foam 2 1010 3.5" external floppy drives one in box, a boxed 1020 5.25 floppy drive with transformer software, a psedo-zorro II SCSI controller and 5.25" floppy drive and more still! all for 25$, auctions kick ass

Second Samurai
Pinball Dreams
Pretty sure those 2 are on Atari ST.

I disagree with the best games not existing on the Atari ST:-

BAT
Dungeon Master
Populous
Powermonger
Kick Off 2
Midwinter
Stunt Car Racer
Mean Streets
Battlemaster

need I go on?

Ouch ! 10fps. Damn
There will be no amiga emulator on gp2X at decent speed :(
All Atari games (a few exceptions) were really poor adaptation
of Amiga games...

(Et celui qui ose dire le contraire est une quiche lorraine:) )

DaveC posted on Dec 20 2005 at 04:36 AM said:
It is true that most Amiga games were ported from the ST. Like today developers have the tendency to port from the weakest to the strongest. Kind of like today where most Xbox games are PS2 ports. This way if it runs on the ST it certainly will be fine on the Amiga but not the other way around. For example if a game was made for the Amiga using 32 colors out of 4096 it would have to be converted to the STs 16 colors out of 512. This takes work.

for instance, Shadow of the Beast was a game that first came out for the Amiga. And there you can see the huge difference. The Amiga version had far better sound and far better graphics. Check the latest issue of GamesTM. There is an article on this game.

beb posted on Dec 20 2005 at 09:45 AM said:
of Amiga games...
Wrong way round (as Davec has already said, a hell of a lot of games appeared on the ST first, and in most cases the Amiga versions are pretty much identical). Like Vroom for example, which is wrongly listed on Feeblez Amiga exclusives list. It was only later in the Amigas life that the majority of new games started to be designed for the Amigas hardware.

woogal posted on Dec 20 2005 at 11:22 AM said:
of Amiga games...
Wrong way round (as Davec has already said, a hell of a lot of games appeared on the ST first, and in most cases the Amiga versions are pretty much identical). Like Vroom for example, which is wrongly listed on Feeblez Amiga exclusives list. It was only later in the Amigas life that the majority of new games started to be designed for the Amigas hardware.

but some of those later games, such as Agony, were absolutely beautiful, reason enough for a Amiga emu besides the Atari ST one:

3209_s7.png

3209_s5.png

woogal posted on Dec 20 2005 at 10:22 AM said:
of Amiga games...
Yes, there were many ST ports on Amiga, (and vice-versa), some better than others.
But i think the point is, there's still a massive catalogue of Amiga only titles, and saying that most of the games came out for the ST anyway is not really good enough.

And remember, it's not all about the games, much of the buzz is actually having a portable Amiga, much like CaSTaway users get a buzz out of having a portable ST.

Again, not meaning to be a fanboy.

Feeblez posted on Dec 20 2005 at 01:07 PM said:
Again, not meaning to be a fanboy.

There isn't a point being fanboy at all. Those machines were very different with different goals. The ST was hastily (and cheaply) developed by Atari when Tramiel had just lost grip on the Amiga's license... So Atari had to develop something very quickly and in the effect the ST was made. It's using mostly common parts (unlike the Amiga with its custom chips) so no suprising it ended inferior (in most aspects) to the Amiga. But it didn't mean it was bad machine especially considering it shiped before A500 and kicked Apple's offerings then. From emulation perspective ST is so atractive because it's far easier to simulate, its roms are free and overall quality of games isn't that much worse than in the Amiga.

Hey, don't get me wrong! I want an Amiga emu just as much as the next man (always hated the ST although I'm not really sure why). I was just pointing out to beb that many of the games he thinks will be crap on an ST are likely to be very similar (if not identical) to the Amiga versions he remembers.

for some strange reason all my fave games are definatly not on the ST, unless Space Crusade is i never found out for sure, theres a c64 version but i dont like it.
If anyone know another way to play settlers and UFO enemy unkown (x-com) on the gp32 or 2x please tell me cos i would love to know.

thanks

Don't worry, its natural for - even 20 years later - Amiga people to hate ST people, vi people to hate Emacs people, and Apple people to hate Windows people. Such is life ;)

(Well, everyone had their favourite, and the companies loved to compete and fan the flames of war ;)

The truth is easy .. Amiga was a superior hardware platform in many (but not all) ways; ie: it cost more, which was a benefit and a detractor -- my family wouldnt' touch the costlier machine, so I got an ST instead :) The ST was off the shelf parts with a few custom chips.. easy to repair and upgrade, and had MIDI to boot. Amiga was upgradable over time as cards came out, due to a PC-like modular design. Amiga had superior sound (the biggest advantage), and better graphics were achievable. (ie: ST could do 512 colours as well, though it took tricks. Course, Amiga couldnt' use half its modes without flickering like mad :) One can go on and on, back and forth about which h/w was better .. the ST was better in some respects, and worse in many others. The real question is the software -- and for most of their lives they were even steven in this regards, with specialties. Amiga had better painting apps, while the ST had far superior publishing and graphics apps; they shared most of their games. The ST BBS scene was enormous for instance, while the Amiga wasn't so hot.

The Amiga was superior later, as the ST line started to dwindle for a lot of interesting reasons, and the Amiga managed to fight the PC onslaught a little longer and got a few more good years in.

Really, both parties are just bitter that the PC world took over instead; we should all, who use computers today, remember there was a day when different brands meant something .. and thankfully Apple has kept up the fight, and of course FreeBSD and Linux are doing their part.

jeff

Squidge posted on Dec 19 2005 at 09:34 AM said:
I ported E-UAE rather than UAE4ALL, but all I get is 10fps regardless of the optimizations I put in :(

Maybe you could take a look at how AmigaOS XL works:

"Unlike the slow versions of WinUAE and WinUAE JiT, AmigaOS XL forgoes on the chipset emulation, using the extra processing cycles to emulate the processor. The result is an Amiga emulator capable of running 68k applications between 5 - 10 times faster than a 68060 system. According to SysInfo (an Amiga benchmark utility), a 1 GHz AMD Athlon emulates an Amiga equivalent to a 450 MHz 68040."

http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/emulators/amigaosxl.html

skeezix posted on Dec 20 2005 at 01:54 PM said:
Don't worry, its natural for - even 20 years later - Amiga people to hate ST people, vi people to hate Emacs people, and Apple people to hate Windows people. Such is life ;)

(Well, everyone had their favourite, and the companies loved to compete and fan the flames of war ;)

.... (ie: ST could do 512 colours as well, though it took tricks. Course, Amiga couldnt' use half its modes without flickering like mad :) One can go on and on, back and forth about which h/w was better .. the ST was better in some respects, and worse in many others. The real question is the software -- and for most of their lives they were even steven in this regards, with specialties. Amiga had better painting apps, while the ST had far superior publishing and graphics apps; they shared most of their games.  The ST BBS scene was enormous for instance, while the Amiga wasn't so hot.
...jeff

And the modes the Amiga had that flickered (interlaced 320 x 400, 640 x 400 with COLOR) weren't even available on the ST at all ;) So that don't count. All of the other modes were the same flicker wise with the advantage of the Amiga being able to display more colors out of a larger palette. There were Amiga modes that could do all 4096 colors at once (HAM plus scan line palette switching) which still beats the ST 512 color at once tricks.

Really the only advantage of the ST hardware was cost. It was a relatively cheap machine. Even the much touted built-in MIDI of the ST could be easily corrected with an add-on for the Amiga. Of course again that added cost.

I am glad that the ST was simpler at this point because of that we could have a fullspeed ST emulator now. And like I said most Amiga games were ports from the ST so it doesn't matter much for games.

Back