GP2X Amiga Emu

UAE4ALL is one of the family of ports of UAE (though I'm not sure what all chui did to it.. I'm sure cool stuff :)

I think Squidge and others are working on it..

jeff-tired

I ported E-UAE rather than UAE4ALL, but all I get is 10fps regardless of the optimizations I put in :(

Most of the Amiga games were also part of the Atari ST's library, so if you wait for Skeezix to get his GP2X, you should be fine :) CaSTaway (his ST emulator) ran great on the GP32, and he's going to port it.

Edit: PS, this is in the wrong forum ;)

fishybawb posted on Dec 19 2005 at 11:48 AM said:
Most of the Amiga games were also part of the Atari ST's library, so if you wait for Skeezix to get his GP2X, you should be fine :) CaSTaway (his ST emulator) ran great on the GP32, and he's going to port it.
Most of the good games on Amiga never came out on the ST.
Not meaning to flame or be a fanboy, but it's true.

Last edited by a moderator:
Squidge posted on Dec 19 2005 at 04:34 AM said:
I ported E-UAE rather than UAE4ALL, but all I get is 10fps regardless of the optimizations I put in :(

Something fishy :)

I don't know much about Amiga (true story :p), but do some of he UAE ports disable some of the lesser-used chipsets? I know they perform 'OK' to well on Palm OS .. ie: 'OK' on the Zod and better on the 400MHz units o/c'd to 600 :) It coudl never do perfectly well at 200 .. but 2x o/c'ed to 250 .. one would think it could do something better than 5 or 10 fps?

But since I never was an Amiga nut I never really looked into UAE much.

If you run one of the two or three UAE Zodiac ports, what fps do they get? We'll have to bug Metaview and see. 2x should be able to at least get the same framerate.

But I knw, we've had this discussion before an dI don't recall what you said :)

jeff

[09:17:00] <MetaView> I usually had frameskip 3 or 4
[09:17:31] <MetaView> and then it was a bit slower then an Amiga 500
[09:17:35] <MetaView> without sound
[09:17:44] <MetaView> with sound it was unplayable mor e or less

Ah, well; so without sound maybe some games are playale at high frameskip, and with sound forget it. Thats a shame.. I thought it was faster :/

[09:23:35] <skeezix> Someone needs to write a new Ami emu designed to be
fast.. ie: full of shortcuts, like CaSTaway is to the
ST. Go for 50% compatibility with Amiga, at full speed
:p

jeff

I rewrote a good chunk of the 68k core, and some memory stuff, and graphics, and it increased speed from 10fps to 10.1fps :(

Feeling unhappy, I ported the same code quickly to the Zodiac using TwGfx, and got 14fps.

Weird...

This was all at fs0 though (ie. no frameskip).

If you want to create an Amiga emu from scratch designed to be fast at low clock speeds, then be my guest :)

Feeblez posted on Dec 19 2005 at 01:26 PM said:

Like? I mustn't have played those ones :)

d'you know what? i'm quite pleased at how many of the amiga classic games came out on megadrive, that I can now play on drMD :D

eg:
populous II
speedball II
lotus turbo whatsit challenge
cannon fodder
james pond series
jimmy white's snooker
sensible soccer
turrican
chaos engine

sure keeps me happy :)
would be soo good to have a uae port though. its a bit beyond my coding skills so am just gonna have to wait and see if any of you guys can come up with something...

shrubberyrobbery posted on Dec 19 2005 at 03:16 PM said:

d'you know what? i'm quite pleased at how many of the amiga classic games came out on megadrive, that I can now play on drMD :D

eg:
populous II
speedball II
lotus turbo whatsit challenge
cannon fodder
james pond series
jimmy white's snooker
sensible soccer
turrican
chaos engine

sure keeps me happy :)
would be soo good to have a uae port though. its a bit beyond my coding skills so am just gonna have to wait and see if any of you guys can come up with something...
Add to that list 'Battle Squadron' and 'Leander'. (would like to see those on ST) :rolleyes:

Amiga exclusives?
Ilyad
Yo! Joe
Superfrog
Zool 2
Jim Power
Deluxe Galaga
Shadow of the Beast 3
Z-Out
Disposable Hero
Agony
Mean Arenas
Bob's Bad Day
Crazy Sue
Fuzzball
Vroom
All Terrain Racing
Alien Breed
Super Obliterator
Skidmarks
Hoi
Lionheart
Brian the Lion
The Plague
Ruff'n'Tumble
Second Samurai
Pinball Dreams
Pinball Fantasies
Super Twintris
+ plenty of AGA games that i won't even mention.
+ all the non games stuff which was out on Amiga and no-where else.

Oh yes and someone needs to port 4D Sports Driving, there is no source code, but my friend told me you don't even need source code, you just rename the exe to gpe... ;)

Squidge posted on Dec 19 2005 at 10:30 AM said:
I rewrote a good chunk of the 68k core, and some memory stuff, and graphics, and it increased speed from 10fps to 10.1fps :(

Feeling unhappy, I ported the same code quickly to the Zodiac using TwGfx, and got 14fps.

Weird...

This was all at fs0 though (ie. no frameskip).

If you want to create an Amiga emu from scratch designed to be fast at low clock speeds, then be my guest :)

*g* I've got enough emus from scratch to work on :p

Anyone ever look into MESS's Ami emu?

I wonder why the Zod was faster; ie: Palm OS? faster bus?

What speed were you comparing? ie: 200 to 200, or did you clock the 2x up to 250? (if you did, and it fared so badly.. thats discouraging. Likely you didn't o/c it..)

What if you o/c'ed to 250, and went to FS1-2? Maybe yo'd ge the 2x up to 20fps or so, which might work :p

jeff

The version of Lotus for the Mega Drive isn't the same as the Amiga one - the MD one is the 'get to the checkpoints in time' version while the Amiga one is the (superior) 'race against other cars' one.

taras posted on Dec 19 2005 at 06:37 PM said:
The version of Lotus for the Mega Drive isn't the same as the Amiga one - the MD one is the 'get to the checkpoints in time' version while the Amiga one is the (superior) 'race against other cars' one.

gfx on md are also lot of duller then on amiga....

skeezix posted on Dec 19 2005 at 06:02 PM said:
*g* I've got enough emus from scratch to work on :p

Anyone ever look into MESS's Ami emu?

I wonder why the Zod was faster; ie: Palm OS? faster bus?

What speed were you comparing? ie: 200 to 200, or did you clock the 2x up to 250? (if you did, and it fared so badly.. thats discouraging. Likely you didn't o/c it..)

What if you o/c'ed to 250, and went to FS1-2? Maybe yo'd ge the 2x up to 20fps or so, which might work :p

jeff

Didn't even know MESS had an Ami emu?

Speed was not altered (we didn't know how to even change the clock speed back when this was done).

But yep, I could run the 2x at 285Mhz (the highest stable frequency on mine), set the frameskip to 1-2 and see how it run. Then again, geniv may get a little upset if I did that ;)

*quickly writes down the amiga games available on other platforms*

Thanks for the list guys. At least it's better than no amiga games at all :)

[clear Lotus confusion]

Lotus Turbo Challenge for Genesis is the same as Lotus Turbo Challenge II for Amiga.
Lotus II for Genesis is the same as Lotus III for Amiga.

Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge - the real "Lotus I" - is only available for Amiga.

[/clear Lotus confusion]

The biggest difference between Amiga and Atari ST games are imho the sound capabilities: the music and sound fx of Amiga - games are three leagues above Atari ST - games (and at least two leagues above Genesis - games which on the other hand are twice as colorful as Amiga games).

If there was an Amiga Emu that plays Turrican 2 with fs=0 and 22kHz stereo-sound for the GP2X i would definitely get one asap.

Does anyone know how well Turrican 2 runs on PSPUAE?

Alucard posted on Dec 19 2005 at 10:02 PM said:
[clear Lotus confusion]

Lotus Turbo Challenge for Genesis is the same as Lotus Turbo Challenge II for Amiga.
Lotus II for Genesis is the same as Lotus III for Amiga.

Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge - the real "Lotus I" - is only available for Amiga.

[/clear Lotus confusion]

The biggest difference between Amiga and Atari ST games are imho the sound capabilities: the music and sound fx of Amiga - games are three leagues above Atari ST - games (and at least two leagues above Genesis - games which on the other hand are twice as colorful as Amiga games).

If there was an Amiga Emu that plays Turrican 2 with fs=0 and 22kHz stereo-sound for the GP2X i would definitely get one asap.

Does anyone know how well Turrican 2 runs on PSPUAE?

I've never played a game on Atari ST before but I recently heard the Atari ST sound track from Rick Dangerous. What a difference :blink:

Back