Aluminium Case being made!

I like black and grey and silver, amongst other colors.  With the new case I will try to carry my Pandora with me at all times until I get my Pyra, and possibly then too if the Pyra feels too fragile.  Two reasons for me picking the grey over black are the look of it in that picture makes me imagine it will look more utilitarian, which is how I think of the Pandora, and because it will not look as bad when the corners and edges get worn, or if it gets scratched, while being carried around and used (bringing me back to my first reason).  

Also, it will be easier to see the blood.

I'm not sure yet, I do use the internal wifi regularly (it works fine for me) and I don't even have a wifi dongle, so this is a rather important potential issue for me. Also, 130 EUR (plus VAT I guess?) is not cheap (although cheaper than I expected).

If this can be done for the Pandora, does that mean it can also be done for the Pyra? Would the Pyra case design/production company be fine with that? Are they taking the signal shielding thing into account in their case design?

It would be really awesome to have a choice when ordering a Pyra between plastic and aluminium!

Yes, if it works out, we could also offer an aluminium case upgrade for the Pyra.

Of course some things have to be changed, production of an aluminium case is totally different compared to a plastic case.

The battery compartment can't clip, for example, we need to hold it with screws.

The battery compartment can't clip, for example, we need to hold it with screws.
I feel this to be a better solution for most situations.  Obviously, it makes pulling the battery if required, or swapping between batteries, a bit more difficult.  To me the loss of those for the benefit of not breaking plastic pieces off and needing to tape the battery cover on, and improved strength, is a decent compromise (plus, I usually have a screwdriver nearby, or on me).

I'll probably go for this too, both the colours sound nice

I feel this to be a better solution for most situations.  Obviously, it makes pulling the battery if required, or swapping between batteries, a bit more difficult.  To me the loss of those for the benefit of not breaking plastic pieces off and needing to tape the battery cover on, and improved strength, is a decent compromise (plus, I usually have a screwdriver nearby, or on me).
First that was a real drawback to me.

Then I noticed: I never swap the battery (except maybe Gamescom or other events).

So it doesn't really matter.

You could always secrete a screwdriver of a suitable type into the stylus head?

I feel this to be a better solution for most situations. Obviously, it makes pulling the battery if required, or swapping between batteries, a bit more difficult. To me the loss of those for the benefit of not breaking plastic pieces off and needing to tape the battery cover on, and improved strength, is a decent compromise (plus, I usually have a screwdriver nearby, or on me).
A metal stylus with plastic tip and screwdriver on the back = win!

First that was a real drawback to me.

Then I noticed: I never swap the battery (except maybe Gamescom or other events).

So it doesn't really matter.
My Pandora sometimes freezes, at least on a few applications. So there is some need for an on-the-go solution.

I feel this to be a better solution for most situations. Obviously, it makes pulling the battery if required, or swapping between batteries, a bit more difficult. To me the loss of those for the benefit of not breaking plastic pieces off and needing to tape the battery cover on, and improved strength, is a decent compromise (plus, I usually have a screwdriver nearby, or on me).
I requested this as a feature for Pyra a while back ... ED never commented though... I do hope it is considered and for metal cased Pyra would be even nicer touch

I requested this as a feature for Pyra a while back ... ED never commented though... I do hope it is considered and for metal cased Pyra would be even nicer touch
It's one of the mods I still want to do.

Even if a pencil would be more useful for plastic case user.

You'll have to let us know if you get around to doing that Askarus. I'll buy one from you. Hopefully the Pyra screws would be same as those found on most laptops

Torx screws have the best life (for multiple openings)

and a system like that would bei great, outside an stylus pen and a Torx inside:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/10PCS-lots-Mini-key-chain-with-a-screwdriver-Torx-Slotted-Hex-suit-for-glasses-phone-Watch/1282467767.html

So ED, are you thinking about giving this new case four shoulder buttons and saving Askarus the trouble?  You seem to already be hot with shoulder button design ideas for the Pyra.  This sounds like very good timing to me.

No.

The majority of the customers for Pandoras aluminium case will probably NOT mod four shoulder buttons in.

You seem to already be hot with shoulder button design ideas for the Pyra. This sounds like very good timing to me
You don't redesign the case for a product that's end of life. It's not just hardware, software would have to be updated as well. Not worth the effort anyway.

Darn, I thought the modding only involved adding the case parts, and thus if the case were tweaked to include them it would be everything necessary.  Well, well I'm still happy with an aluminum casing!

Edit: It occurred to me while I was walking that, oh yeah, a board contact is not the same as a board-mounted-button, and said button is on the board's side, not the case part's side.  I forgot that these contacts are vertical and use side facing button mounts, and had it in my mind that a rubber depressable cap was all that was needed.  Sorry for the silly question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back