Aluminium Case being made!

As far as I know the original case design will have to be modded to be made of aluminium by the manufacturer and also the clips will be switched with screws.

As the  manufacturer of the Aluminum case, I want to end some speculations:

1. Yes, the housing will be redesigned for maxiumum durability and easy manufacturing but still keeping the outer design. With this, all the clips will get replaced by screws.

2. Yes, we will have a very close look at the hinges - a basic redesign of this part is very likely.

3. We will use Aluminum AW7075 which is even stronger (up to 540 N/mm²) than standard steel (such as S235JR aka St37 - 350 N/mm²)

4. The antennas will get plastic windows in the housing, so the WIFI and Bluetooth performance will (hopefully) not suffer. However, some kind of directivity may occur.

5. Before delivery we will check all components to fit in perfectly.

6. The housings will get manufactured in Germany on a brand new 5-Axis CNC machining center.

And, after all, I want to mention that I am an Electronic Engineer (TU Karlsruhe), so I believe that I should have some Idea of what I am doing.

1. Yes, the housing will be redesigned for maxiumum durability and easy manufacturing but still keeping the outer design. With this, all the clips will get replaced by screws.

2. Yes, we will have a very close look at the hinges - a basic redesign of this part is very likely.

3. We will use Aluminum AW7075 which is even stronger (up to 540 N/mm²) than standard steel (such as S235JR aka St37 - 350 N/mm²)

4. The antennas will get plastic windows in the housing, so the WIFI and Bluetooth performance will (hopefully) not suffer. However, some kind of directivity may occur.

6. The housings will get manufactured in Germany on a brand new 5-Axis CNC machining center.

And, after all, I want to mention that I am an Electronic Engineer (TU Karlsruhe), so I believe that I should have some Idea of what I am doing.
welcome in the community :) great work

Welcome, I'm looking forward to seeing (and buying :) ) the new aluminium shell

Sounds good. :)  But indeed, the current Pandora case needs some serious adjustments, it has some very sharp edges which would be pure knife blades when done in Alu! Worst are imho:

frontdmsck.jpg

Welcome IDV!  This aluminum case of yours will increase the collectability of the my Pandoras :)

Last edited by a moderator:
@ Fusion_Power:

it has some very sharp edges which would be pure knife blades when done in Alu!
Fortunately the frictional grinding technology has already been inventend and is widely available since - let me guess - 50 years. Sharp edges will be not be sharp any more after facing this process which also provides a very smooth surface,

However, I will have a close look at the edges you marked.

Fortunately the frictional grinding technology has already been inventend and is widely available since - let me guess - 50 years. Sharp edges will be not be sharp any more after facing this process which also provides a very smooth surface,

However, I will have a close look at the edges you marked.
Of course everything can be sanded smooth, I just wanted to point that the original Case(files) have these annoying spots over the whole case and should be not used 1:1 there. ^^"
^ There are some Pandora owners with very dainty hands it seems.. they hurt themselves on rounded plastic.
My hands are perfect for massaging woman, yes. ;) And the "rounded plastic" is not the problem of course, but sharp edged Alu would be. I'm sure they will take care of this.

its not just the edges of the case, but the rounded corners where palms rest during usage damn near hack into your palms. These would have to be rounded to marble like sphere smoothness to not cause discomfort on aluminium cases

I went through the thread and saw about 17 people saying they want these cases.  I don't think I counted the additional cases from those who said they want more than one.  This means that here we are about 20% of the way there.

ED, do you have any other way to announce this that might get some additional attention?

its not just the edges of the case, but the rounded corners where palms rest during usage damn near hack into your palms. These would have to be rounded to marble like sphere smoothness to not cause discomfort on aluminium cases
Mmmm...  I think you may be making a false assumption in the differential hardness of the current case plastic and aluminum vs human tissue.  I suspect that both the current case plastic and aluminum are about equal in deformation when given pressure by the palm of a human hand.  I.e. none.

So, in either material's case's case, I suspect that >99.9% of any deformation would happen to the hand, not the case.

Say that 10 times real fast.

I went through the thread and saw about 17 people saying they want these cases.  I don't think I counted the additional cases from those who said they want more than one.  This means that here we are about 20% of the way there.
There's always people who are not vocal and still buying stuff.

20% is a good indication, I think.  

I'm not sure if this was mentioned earlier but who is the one who is making the awesome cases for us? :)

Back