Alive and Kicking Coding Competition Rules

Anyway, thanks for the discussion on this, please check the first post for the changes since we don't want to spend decades discussing this, and can we move on to actual competition-related contents (which is the real purpose of the competition) ? I would like to hear if you have any project ideas/new ports, and so on ? Feel free to share your plans :)

Please feel free to create topics in the competition board to showcase your projects, share your intentions and get feedback as you go!

Last edited by a moderator:
If people have suggestions for things I could improve in System Info, PIV, Microbes or NubNub so I can participate in the "Significant Improvement" category, I'm listening!

For Microbes, I have a suggestion but I suspect it's going to be a huge amount of work : 

- make multi-screens levels with multi-directional scrolling, so that the user would have to scroll in different places to ensure he has everything covered. 

for PIV:

- if you could implement a "gallery" view when browsing a folder, I'm pretty sure that would be considered significant. What I mean by "gallery view" is a grid showing thumbnails of all pictures in a browser, letting you select a picture to view based on its thumbnail. 

For NubNub:

- multiplayer mode :) If you could link up two Pandoras together (via Internet connection), and have a kind of competitive mode in real-time where your actions on one Pandora can influence what's happening on the other, it would be awesome. C4A is great for offline competition but NubNub would clearly benefit from a real-time competition mode. 

Thanks for the compo. I'm having a few days off over christmas ... If time permits, I'll continue working on apkenv or try to release some apkenv based app (skype).

Heh i wanted to try Skype with Qemu-I386 ;)
The Linux X86 Version should run with it.

Another Idea:
Maybe a Multi Qemu Games PND with all Games i released in one PND.
Rayman Demo,
Command & Conquer
And many other Dos Freewaregames in one PND.

Chosse your in the Past loved X86 Game ;)

Another Idea:
Maybe i get finaly Descent3Demoversion running and make then a PND with the X86 Linux Demo.

Reactions: moz
Heh i wanted to try Skype with Qemu-I386 ;) The Linux X86 Version should run with it. Another Idea: Maybe a Multi Qemu Games PND with all Games i released in one PND. Rayman Demo, Command & Conquer And many other Dos Freewaregames in one PND. Chosse your in the Past loved X86 Game ;)
Skype via Qemu ? Interesting idea ! But would it run fast enough ? Skype is quite CPU intensive on mobile devices :) ANyway, you should try !

A Multi-Qemu PND package with freeware games would be great indeed! 

or try to release some apkenv based app (skype).
 SKype, really ? I thought you mentioned earlier that Skype could not be supported by apkenv ? Did the situation change ?
well, two steps are involved: first getting skype.apk to load and not crash and the second one is creating a UI for it (which is the main reason for not directly supporting it)

Heh i wanted to try Skype with Qemu-I386 ;) The Linux X86 Version should run with it. Another Idea: Maybe a Multi Qemu Games PND with all Games i released in one PND. Rayman Demo, Command & Conquer And many other Dos Freewaregames in one PND. Chosse your in the Past loved X86 Game ;)
Skype via Qemu ? Interesting idea ! But would it run fast enough ? Skype is quite CPU intensive on mobile devices :) ANyway, you should try !

A Multi-Qemu PND package with freeware games would be great indeed! 
I tried that a few mounth ago but got only segfault... But that should b

With LinuxBochs Qemu-i386 have we Soundsupport and with a little Luck have we not only Output.

I think its possible ;)

I've been messing around with some 3D model skinning recently (not doing the art side, doing the code side), and thought it might be interesting to run on the Pandora, as ultimately it could provide a nice opportunity for some assembly/intrinsics to be used to speed it up. My hope was to strip the code in question out of our internal engine, and get into into a standalone, simple OpenGL viewer, and then take suggestions on how to optimize it. I wondered, would any competent games coder be interested in working together with this tech (assuming it runs fast enough on the Pandora) to make something for the competition? I'd be happy to work under any license; I don't have any ideas what to make right now; but I'm more of a tech than a game play coder, so I'd really be interested in teaming up with someone that is interested more in the games side.

With all things considered, I feel something more on the simple side would be sensible, like a 3D Bomberman game, I haven't really thought about where the art assets will come from (can we find assets online to use for free, are there 3D modellers/animators on the forum who would be interested)?

Seems that Haiku is the only supported system at the moment ... but it's OpenSource ?

I wish i have more Time,Christmas Time is hardcore working Time for me.

I will test this Evening the LiveCode Community Linux edition with Qemu-i386 and can test byside differrent Versions of Skype,maybe i have Luck ;)

Anyway, thanks for the discussion on this, please check the first post for the changes since we don't want to spend decades discussing this
OK, but I do hope you or ED will show some more resilience next time when there is an official compo. This has been handled wrong imo. This is the only complaint though, it is nice to have a new competition, so keep it up :)

If people have suggestions for things I could improve in System Info, PIV, Microbes or NubNub so I can participate in the "Significant Improvement" category, I'm listening!

Last competition Microbes was already improved significantly and I consider it to be one of the best TD games on any platform.

The only suggestions I have for Microbes are minor. Not sure if any of them justify a new release.

- An improved tutorial set. Shorter levels with not a lot of waves to get into the game and only adding the larger levels - but not too large - after having reached all goals and learned all features.

- High score and unlocking of levels - stars are a bit hidden in the menu. I like games that have thumbnails of multiple levels with the unlock status / highscore in one screen. 

I don't have any ideas what to make right now
Not sure if you want suggestions, but here is one :)   Ruckage had a very nice game for the GP2X http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/gp2x.cgi?0,0,0,0,27,2527

It was sweet, but very short. The basics are quite simple - to program ? - but the concept can be made a lot more interesting and complicated. Instead of the awesome graphics from Ruckage - the guy is a creative genius - you could make it abstract. Shoot the circle, but not the bad red square, shoot them in a certain order - 1.2.3, some you have to shoot twice or in combo, some become stronger if you wait too long etc..

Hey PtitSeb i got segfaults with Skype too,

Will try another Gnemul Directory.

It showed me Errors with X11 and wrong File Versions.

Maybe with my old Wine Experiments will i get it work.

Tried Windows Version installer,tried installed copied Windows Version and tried official Linux installer.

Next Step is to try a Slackware X86 Package,but i must be carefulll to not destroy the System ;)

Hi,

Voptop is still under development currently I am working on the port to Linux/Windows/MacOS X utilizing the Qt5 framework. The last weeks I had some technical trouble while implementing the "punching" through NATs, original I planed a beta release in end of September which I failed (caused by the problem getting through NATs). The NAT problems are solved so far so that I hope to get a beta release done in the end of this year.

And yes, Voptop is open source. I just decided to not publish the sources so long it is a beta, the source will be published with the first "release candidate" under an own open source license similar to the BSD-License. There will be an public source-repository accessible for everyone.

kind regards,

Robert

Back