Alive and Kicking Coding Competition Rules

I'll (hopefully) be moving in January, so I don't know if I find the time to make anything. I have an idea for the "original game"-category, but since I have to start from scratch, chances are that I will not be able to get anything to work until the deadline.

I think, I am in the "improved an existing application"-category. There is a quite snowy game, which definitely needs C4A support. :D

As always, I am available as a judge for any category involving games.

Good luck to all entrants and thanks for organizing this.

Hmmm, I have a couple of ideas for new games (well, new as in I'll be writing them from scratch rather than a port). Who knows, maybe I'll submit to the compo

It would be better to not use the words "release the source code" but to say "release the software as FOSS" instead.
I disagree, FOSS excludes all non-commercial licenses that allow you to do anything with the source but selling it.

I meant a broad interpretation of FOSS, not just FSF-approved licenses (which does indeed exclude licenses that disallow commercial forks).

Maybe a better formulation (less open to interpretation) would be: "release the source code under a FSF-approved or OSI-approved license (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_free_software_licenses for a list), a Creative Commons license (with the BY,SA and/or NC tag, but not the ND tag), or the MAME license".

Would that be an acceptable definition of what "Open Source" and "release the source code" means?
I think people who know about free software or open source movements are adult enough to choose a license they see fit. No need to force a particular license here. And even if the code is released under a nonfree license, it is ll valuable for learning purposes.

I think people who know about free software or open source movements are adult enough to choose a license they see fit. No need to force a particular license here. And even if the code is released under a nonfree license, it is ll valuable for learning purposes.
OK, so source code released under a "you can watch but you can't touch" license will be considered to be "open source" for the purposes of this compo?

I recommend you scrap the "bonus for open source" bollocks because it is causing too much controversy and distracting from the actual competition.

For me I don't really care one way or the other about that rule but it's obviously making trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
now if some moderator could obliterate the previous 25 posts except for Ziz's or whatever... ;)

OK, so source code released under a "you can watch but you can't touch" license will be considered to be "open source" for the purposes of this compo?
Where do you get that idea? There were no requirements on which license you have to use, you could just pick GPL if you wanted. As the GPL requires source to be available, you fit under what was the "bonus" section.

It's not complicated.

The discussion regarding open vs closed source software is clearly going into the wrong direction.

One of the most appealing aspects of the OPENPandora is the support for open source / free software. Closed source is fine and I understand there are good reasons not to share code, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with an incentive for OS software. Free software should be preferred.

The last competition had great software, closed and OS and there was an additional 50 Euro if the source was released. Why change that now? Most devs are probably not even interested in the money, but I think a small gesture is important.

The last competition had great software, closed and OS and there was an additional 50 Euro if the source was released. Why change that now? Most devs are probably not even interested in the money, but I think a small gesture is important.
Yes, I agree (it doesn't have to be money though), but my point is: it has to be clear what "Open Source" means. Obviously GPL, MIT license, Apache etc are open source. The question is: is it also open source if you include the code but don't allow anyone to do anything with it, not even redistribution? I don't think so, but the way the rules were formulated, such a restrictive license would still count as "open source".

Cool,now how i figured out how to make PNDs am i in again ;)

Maybe i find some cool and easy to port Stuff :D

The question is: is it also open source if you include the code but don't allow anyone to do anything with it, not even redistribution? I don't think so, but the way the rules were formulated, such a restrictive license would still count as "open source".
Open source on its own is indeed not enough, it should also be possible to use and adjust the code and redistribute. I think that covers most of the OS licences.

This is not an Apple product, Pandora wouldn't exist without free software. I really think OS should be encouraged. 

Yeah, in fact I don't understand, why OS should not get a bit more price in an OPEN pandora competition as long as the judges don't give more points for being open...

Yeah, in fact I don't understand, why OS should not get a bit more price in an OPEN pandora competition as long as the judges don't give more points for being open...

Back