Release Albion

Discussion in 'Software Releases' started by M-HT, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Klumpen

Klumpen Run away! Run away!

Oh, I didn't know that.

Thanks again for this great package, M-HT!

My German version runs as great on my desktop (Mint) as it does on the OpenPandora. :)

Albion is such a great game.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2015
  2. M-HT

M-HT Very Active Member

This is correct, ...
    ... but this is not. When developing it I had a Windows version before I had a Linux version (and that was 6 months before I had the ARM version).But I switched to Linux a long time ago, so I don't know if it's still working.

No there isn't, but if someone requests it I could try compiling it.

Klumpen and _jr_ like this.
  3. Klumpen

This would be great for giving this game a comeback.

4. M-HT

M-HT Very Active Member

It wouldn't, unless someone (GOG.com, ...) started selling the game.

_jr_ likes this.
  5. _jr_

_jr_ Advanced Member

Is it known who has the rights to Albion these days? Did they transfer to Ubisoft and are still there?

6. thatgui

thatgui Advanced Member

Thanks for correcting me. I guess I need to be more into not writing things if I have no clue about it
    Are there brand names that did not transfer to Ubisoft when they took over BlueByte ?

7. Klumpen

At least the most popular abandonware site is hosting it and this is better than letting this gem be forgotten.

I wonder why it isn't sold, GoG sells other Bluebyte games as well and also stuff from Ubisoft, either there is another party involved like there is most likely in Schleichfahrt/Archimedean Dynasty or GoG doesn't have interest in it, I still don't quite understand their criteria in many cases anyway.

8. M-HT

M-HT Very Active Member

Here is a version for Windows, in case anyone is interested.

Unpack it into the directory where Albion is installed - read the Readme for more information (use Albion.cmd to run the game).

Klumpen likes this.
  9. PowerGod

PowerGod Advanced Member

I'll take it with pleasure :) Thanks

Could this have incompatibilities with save games made with the Linux version ?

Sometimes I have to boot on Windows and can be useful to have the possibility to continue my game.

10. M-HT

M-HT Very Active Member

The save games are the same in all versions (DOS, GP2X, Pandora, Linux, Windows).

Klumpen likes this.
  11. IllidanS4

IllidanS4 Still Fresh

Thanks a lot, man, for the port. I hope it will help this game to start being sold.

Video showing the 3D:

[​IMG]

I've found one bug, when you activate the cheats and press Alt+F12, it just shows some debug screen instead of turning the cheat mode on.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2015
  12. M-HT

M-HT Very Active Member

You should use bassmidi (with a soundfont) or wildmidi (with gus patches) for music instead of sdl_mixer. It sounds better (with good soundfont/gus patches anyway), but you can also hear background sound/music effects (played using music driver), which are not played when using sdl_mixer.

13. IllidanS4

IllidanS4 Still Fresh

Sdl_mixer sounds more like in DOSBox, and I am used to that. However, I didn't notice background sounds aren't played. Is there a way to fix this? I just want standard Windows General MIDI. Is it also possible to include OPL2 emulation?

14. PowerGod

PowerGod Advanced Member

There's also a soundfont set with general midi instruments

15. M-HT

M-HT Very Active Member

Currently only by using wildmidi or bassmidi for music. (And it's unlikely to change.)
    You can try solutions from this page to get a similar sounding soundfont (usable by bassmidi).
    In theory it should be possible, but quite difficult. (Unlikely to be implemented.)There is a OPL3 soundfont which sounds similar.

16. IllidanS4

IllidanS4 Still Fresh

Okay, thanks. Could you please check the cheat keys? Alt+F11 acts like Alt+F4 and Alt+F12 acts like Alt+F5, I guess there is a problem in the key mapping. Also, Alt+F4 captures screenshot in the ILBM format, but even with the enhanced 3D, the screenshot is still low-resolution. Could this be fixed? Thanks.

17. M-HT

M-HT Very Active Member

I fixed the keys and I added a configuration option to select screenshot format - by default it's set to original resolution and format.Download it from the same place as before.

_jr_ likes this.
  18. WizardStan

WizardStan Mega GP Mania

So I just started playing this again (third time starting, maybe I'll finish it this time) and I had to interrupt my gameplay, so I paused and suspended the Pandora, but when I brought it back everything was way too fast. I suspect this is entirely on a bug in the Pandora's wakeup code changing CPU speeds or something and nothing that M-HT can fix, this is really just a record and warning to others: always save your game and exit properly, don't suspend the Pandora or it could mess up at a bad time.

19. M-HT

M-HT Very Active Member

Or maybe the game noticed how much time has passed and tried to make up for the lost time.

I'll have to take a look at it.

Even if I can fix it, the recommended action is to exit the game before suspending.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2015
  20. Klumpen

Somebody made a video to show off the enhanced 3D with the desktop version of the port in 720p:

Edit: Nevermind, see above.

Update notification didn't work for me in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2015