After a long day, there'll be another one (2011-12-21)

Fantastic to hear the progress with this level of detail. Great work ED, and please take some time to enjoy Christmas!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, every single one of the 13 PCBs we populated and built today is working without any issues :)

Time to leave for home now :D

Were they built partially by hand solder like the first few, or were they fully automated population?

The way this German company handles production is the way things really should have always been. It is certainly the way other companies I have worked with previous to Pandora have been (too bad they couldn't handle the fine pitched parts). What an embarrassment it is to know what we have had to go through for the past few years. Some companies should really be ashamed of themselves and the way they treat customers.

The way this German company handles production is the way things really should have always been. It is certainly the way other companies I have worked with previous to Pandora have been (too bad they couldn't handle the fine pitched parts). What an embarrassment it is to know what we have had to go through for the past few years. Some companies should really be ashamed of themselves and the way they treat customers.

I think the fact that ED is on the spot and can actively help with problems when they occur with your help makes all the difference too.

Most important is OPT is still here, we the community are still here and some expensive learning money has already been paid so you guys are better at handling future projects then you were before.

Okay, just tested the first PCB with all components - and as expected: Everything is working now :)

Wifi, Audio, Mini USB - everything :D

Seems like it's a good idea to fully populate a PCB and not miss out some parts ;)

So, yes guys, it seems the prototype run was a full success :D :D :D

Strike! That were the lines we wanted to hear! =)

I've been lurking in the forums and patiently following the saga.

But now it is time to celebrate!

Although I did not receive my Pandy yet, I would not be satisfied, if I had received my unit from the first batch and if that was all that the project could accomplish. I care as much about my own little box of wonders functioning well, as I care about the project thriving, the community blossoming, and many more people having access to this unique product.

With financing in place, production tested, and seeing each and every road block (actually "road bolder", it's the Pandora after all) being overcome within days, not months, the project has reached a maturity and critical mass that will ensure its future is bright.

Time to rekindle the marketing machine, revamp the website, start building momentum on the bolgosphere for the mass production in February. Remember, first and second batch waiters, the more new Pandoras are sold when production starts, the faster the pre-ordered units will be delivered. (at least that is what I understood from ED here)

A Merry Christmas to the Team and to all members, who did not waive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the fact that ED is on the spot and can actively help with problems when they occur with your help makes all the difference too.

A bit. I didn't do much but test the PCBs they gave me and were in eMail contact with MWeston and on IRC with notaz to ask them for help :)

Any company could've done the same.

Were they built partially by hand solder like the first few, or were they fully automated population?

Mostly fully automated ;)

Nubs are placed manually, they always will be (as they melt in the oven).

Some parts today had been placed manually (some parts were not there in time to be programmed into the machine), but basically it was fully automatically placed :)

Great news ED. Awesome work as always. But please get some rest during Christmas.

Just one or two days ;)

Not much time.

Tonight I need to finish a commercial... didn't have time for that during the last two days, so it's a nightshift :)

ED: Please, give this project a rest for 3 days starting tomorrow; sleep, spend time with your family, or something But Stop Working so hard, even if its just 72 hours. I think most other people here would agree.
christmas-smiley-133.gif

ED: Please, give this project a rest for 3 days starting tomorrow; sleep, spend time with your family, or something But Stop Working so hard, even if its just 72 hours. I think most other people here would agree.
christmas-smiley-133.gif

Oh, the Pandora isn't that much work for the next few days (except for the long-run-test, which mostly is automatically).

But I have to finish an animation as well as a commercial, private taxes and taxes for 2011 until christmas... while one Pandora is playing N64 at 850 MHz and a WiFi connection, while my mobile phone sucks the battery from it via USB :)

I ask you [ED] to relax and you want to go and do a commercial, an animation and two tax returns while managing a bunch of robots!

With all that energy, the world would be in big trouble if you really were evil!

has the wifi performance improved at all with theses latest boards?

Nope, but it hasn't changed yet. There is just an optional circuit which COULD improve WiFi, but MWeston needs to test that first.

That's why he gets a few of those PCBs :)

If it is possible to improve performance, we could do this with the mass production run without having to change the PCB.

Back