Advantages of Slackware?

Brotasmo

Okay, so I understand that Slackware can now be installed on the Pandora and a lot of folks are excited, but why? Is Slackware somehow a better Linux OS? is it more flexible than what the Pandora has now? What are the benefits? Disadvantages? Also, will KDE apps now run natively?

Last edited by a moderator:
First off It boots off a SD card, it's not installed on the internal NAND.

I guess the biggest advantage is since it runs off an SD card is that it's not limited by the size of the internal NAND storage which only hold 512MB of space.. Slackware can give you the benefits of a full Linux Distribution, plus Linux-Swat has put a lot of effort of making the PND system work on it. Angstrom while solid on the Pandora is running some old libraries.. Also installing from a repository is safe.

I guess a disadvantage is it takes up one of your SD cards slots as it's running the OS full time.. well you could eject it, but it would crash the OS.

Honestly I still need to try it for myself, been meaning to for a long time.. I know Linux-Swat been doing a fantastic job working on this.

Check out the wikipage: http://pandorawiki.org/Software_projects/OS/Slackware

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly I still need to try it for myself, been meaning to for a long time.. I know Linux-Swat been doing a fantastic job working on this.
I'm in the same boat, just found an SD card I misplaced while in Portland, so I'm going to fire it up with Linux-Swat magic!

Check the outdated 13.37 readme (14.0 soon):

Also 14.0 devel thread. Check screenshots:

KDE apps should work as they do on x86.

YouTube now is a piece of cake thanks to smtube and smplayer.

I know other distributions but i work with and use only Slackware since 2002/2003.

minitube is kinda sucky, especially with internal wifi. smtube / smplayer is better, cause it can play 240p flash vids. (smtube is currently Slackware only, as the smplayer pnd doesn't come with smtube).

I'm not completely sure right now, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think: A disadvantage when running the OS from SDcard (which I do too) is that you can not use the least-power-demanding suspend-mode, as the OS-SDcard can not be unmounted, which is a requirement for that mode AFAIK. Still I personally think there are more advantages than disadvantages.

minitube is kinda sucky, especially with internal wifi. smtube / smplayer is better, cause it can play 240p flash vids. (smtube is currently Slackware only, as the smplayer pnd doesn't come with smtube).

can smtube be back ported to angstrom?

Back