Absurdism corner

Why?

• Total voters

w5wbta9chnp91.jpg

I don't get this one. The sign says it's for large print and audiobooks. It's unusual for bookshops to have more than one book category on signs but audiobooks don't have print, large of not, so I assume this has to be two categories put together. Perhaps that's the joke though, and I just rationalised it.

I don't get this one. The sign says it's for large print and audiobooks. It's unusual for bookshops to have more than one book category on signs but audiobooks don't have print, large of not, so I assume this has to be two categories put together. Perhaps that's the joke though, and I just rationalised it.
The concept of having a large print audio book tickled my brain as I imagined someone shouting in the microphone instead of just reading the book so people with a hearing-aid could listen to those books also.
It also ties back to a similar thought I once had where increasing the volume in a game wouldn't only increase the volume, but everyone also starts shouting (or whispering when lowering the volume). That would also introduce some new game mechanics, where for example in an RPG you would have to assign the shouting/whispering attribute to one of the team-members, causing all kinds of problems during their dialog (like during a stealth attack this member would still shout giving away your position). Or that lowering the games volume would help during stealth action, but it would also make life difficult as you couldn't hear much.

I understand it like: since audio books have font size of 0 any other font size is large in comparison allowing the joke. The joke seems to be about a switch of what's the norm and what's the oddity in forms of book delivery.
Or that lowering the games volume would help during stealth action, but it would also make life difficult as you couldn't hear much.
You mean like how others can't see me, whenever I stick my head in the sand?

thought I once had where increasing the volume in a game wouldn't only increase the volume, but everyone also starts shouting (or whispering when lowering the volume).
Wow... that's a nice concept.
In the PS4 Spiderman game, they let the VoiceActor record his lines twice: When standing still (normal), or when web-slinging (panting+shouting a little). As the game involves making phonecalls and having conversations, this blends well.
The Transitions between whisper->normal->shouting are hard to do though. MBROLA has something, but it means that you'd have to use a synthetic voice for all dialog. And we're not there yet (VoiceActors are much better for game immersion).

Back