A Spectrum of Pyra Renders

So hyped for a clear Pyra.

I know it will never happen but if it did my purchase would be assured. Its just so freaking hot.

Do we have any idea what the possible/available colours of the Pyra can be? Has ED said anything concrete one way or another?

Last edited by a moderator:
That give me an idea... And a question: What kind of plastic is going to be use? Will it be easily paintable?

That give me an idea... And a question: What kind of plastic is going to be use? Will it be easily paintable?

My guess that won't be known for sure until the samples for the prototypes are made.

The yellow does look good, if it's possible to get the plastic exactly that shade.  I expected beige to look retro sexy, but in practice the Pyra is clearly not a device from the 1980s so I doesn't quite gel for me.  While I'm fine also with most of the dark colours I've seen so far, some sort of mid-dark grey is still my favourite.

And what all these renders have proven to me is that anything with non-black buttons looks horrid.

^ but it is a device which emulates all devices from the 1980s ;).

i'm also afraid most of the materials on these Pyra renders look more matte than glossy, so switching over to glossy with the actual Pyra will make things look quite different.

thanks @all for these cool renderings!

my favourites for now
- beige c64 with brown controls - erico
- brown with yellow controls - erico

they both look verry classy and not boring at all to me.
not too flashy colours getting on your nerves soon.
representing that destinct retrolook while looking not old.

The idea behind the case is to blend the color with the plastic, so it won't be painted over.

And what all these renders have proven to me is that anything with non-black buttons looks horrid.

What about dark grey buttons then ?

All these renders have proven to me is that aesthetics are subjective and consensus is impossible.

ED should make the first run whatever boring black on black color is the cheapest, and then offer upgrade packages of custom runs of different shells and buttons.

Deep Purple for the Dragonbox Pyra would be my choice

Quick Photoshop hack rather than a render :

DP.jpg

The idea behind the case is to blend the color with the plastic, so it won't be painted over.
I know.

Yeah, would be interesting to know if it's paintable as well. Even if you don't want to fully recolour it, could work for stencilling

I don't think I've ever met anything that isn't paintable using some variety of paint or another.  Some surfaces with texture you probably wouldn't want to paint, but that doesn't mean you can't.

I'd be genuinely torn between Dark red or yellow. That yellow Pyra looks mental.

That's not mental.  If it were made out of this stuff - that would be mental.

http://www.chromacolors.com/news.html

http://colors.chromacolors.com/viewitems/all-categories/photoluminescent-glow-in-the-dark-

But then, would it be the blue or the green?

Challenge:  Someone create a proper render showing what it would look like using those materials.  I think it would have to be done at the render stage rather than change of color as the luminosity is internal and the material itself translucent.  It would need a 'lights on' and 'lights off' version - with the material itself acting as an internal light source - no idea how to do that.

Maybe a blue case with green buttons and shoulders?  Or the other way around?

I wonder the odds on getting a clear pyra, just looks so good!!

Very old school hackers! Acid's laptop!

Can you make a render that uses a charcoal (or gunmetal) gray along with that sparkle layer that is used on the "cookies and creme" and some other renders?

This is the exact color I'm looking for:

Ativa_8GB_-Executive_Flash__1.jpg

-God Ginrai

The yellow does look good, if it's possible to get the plastic exactly that shade. 

Yellow how its presented here is my definite favourite, but I don't think it would turn out that way in real life. And I am tad worried about such a bright color, making me an involuntary entomoligist while using the Pyra outside in summer.

Deep Purple for the Dragonbox Pyra would be my choice

Quick Photoshop hack rather than a render :

While purple is my more realistic favourite I found that tone too dark: Why not a bit brighter, and put some orange on the controls ? Speaking of controls, I guess the volume wheel will be black anyway as it will be an off the shelve component ?

I wonder the odds on getting a clear pyra, just looks so good!!

Pretty bad I guess. While the the render in this thread looks really good, there are still some things missing, mainly the pcb, which will probably alter "the composition" significantly. But the biggest problem I see is the lighting: logo, status and keyboard backlight will probably not benefit from having almost nothing blocking the light

Back