A Spectrum of Pyra Renders

How's this?

PYRA_DarkGreyNoisy_Black.png

This is exactly what I intended.  Looks perfect.

Hopefully this time around, this color gets used. (I suggested this for the Pandora's color back when it was still called "The Craiginator" on the forums)
I have to agree that this particular colour really appeals to me too.  Whether or not it's going to be available from our case company is another matter though.  

-Neelix

I really like these gunmetal versions. if I remember correctly, ED wanted a similar color for the second version of the Pandora case, but it ended up being closer to silver

The point is, if we get a clear color like grey (or white) we can change the color. If we made a case black colored then we are only have black color.

I am going to autoquote me just to add this image:

https://www.gerrys.com.au/images/p/rit dye chart.jpg

If the plastic admit dye, then we can have our Pyra of what color we want.
I seem to recall ED saying that they were planning to add a transparent protective coating to the plastic. Said coating would probably preclude the use of dye to colour the plastic after the fact. (assuming I'm not misremembering that part)

-Neelix

The point is, if we get a clear color like grey (or white) we can change the color. If we made a case black colored then we are only have black color.

I seem to recall ED saying that they were planning to add a transparent protective coating to the plastic. Said coating would probably preclude the use of dye to colour the plastic after the fact. (assuming I'm not misremembering that part)

-Neelix
Yep, but I saw some examples that work with acetone. I am going to try one plastic sample when it's decided the kind of plastic that's beign used and try to dye it.

I can see it now: someone within the community is going to create a poll, it's going to be 30+ pages of debate, re-polls, refinement, and eventual self destruction when EvilDragon just selects the colour that he likes.

Which is fine. I harbor no illusions that the decision is actually based on factors outside our control (availability, material specifications, etc). And I know as project manager ED has the unenviable job of making decision, but it's still fun to see whats popular. 

Sometimes I like to have fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see it now: someone within the community is going to create a poll, it's going to be 30+ pages of debate, re-polls, refinement, and eventual self destruction when EvilDragon just selects the colour that he likes.

And can we merge this new case colour thread with a newly resurrected key-bored layout thread?

the keyboard layout discussions and polls were actually a lot more fruitful than some of you naysayers would like to admit...  ED did take the popular suggestions very seriously.

Last edited by a moderator:
But there seem to be a consensus on the colors too.

Only a few people like the more wild colors, the black/grey/white and computer brown seems to be the major preference. 

Sadly, this sounds about right^

So ED, just make sure the one you pick the yellow/black one :p

Chris

Only a few people like the more wild colors, the black/grey/white and computer brown seems to be the major preference. 

Wha? Thats still 4 different finishes. Thats hardly a consensus!

Most of the images aren't loading for me on Tapatalk... but the White with Pink highlights did and I can tell you this:

It would be a terrible choice of colour for mass appeal.

I LOVE IT!!!!1!!

I'm now seriously concidering getting a custom case printed by someone...

... WizardStan?

*I'll make it worth your while...*

-Neelix
Yep, but I saw some examples that work with acetone. I am going to try one plastic sample when it's decided the kind of plastic that's beign used and try to dye it.
I have read that Rit changed the formula for their dye, so it doesn't work very well with plastics.  Acetone helps, but it is still a poor choice from what I hear.  Other dyes that are designed for use with synthetic fabrics are supposed to work much better now.  I come across this discussion a lot for dyeing keyboard keys and sometimes Game Boys.

If there is an outer coating on the plastic that will interfere.  You could try sanding it, however that will result in an even more uneven coloration than the already iffy results of dying uncoated plastic.  Keep in mind that heat used when dyeing can quickly warp some types of plastic (happened to me), and acetone can also injure your plastic, or you if using it in hot water.

Still, if the case is black no method of dyeing will result in a noticeable change of color.  Paint or light neutral colored (or transparent) cases are the best bet if you want something in a different color.

Wha? Thats still 4 different finishes. Thats hardly a consensus!
Also dark red has been a popular choice for a while, and you also have the pink and yellow crowds.  I like all of these options except white.  I am pretty sure several people want blue, and a few want purple.  Have I missed any?  Green? Orange?

Love the dark, dark blue with black controls.  But why no ZXSpectrum render? Black with the rainbow flash at the bottom-right. Would look the dog's danglies. Dark cyan keys would also not go amiss.

D.

Most of the images aren't loading for me on Tapatalk... but the White with Pink highlights did and I can tell you this:

It would be a terrible choice of colour for mass appeal.

I LOVE IT!!!!1!!
emoji7.png
emoji8.png

I'm now seriously concidering getting a custom case printed by someone...

... WizardStan?
emoji6.png

*I'll make it worth your while...*

Fine, fine! Now change back that avatar. :p

Back