A Plea To Gp32x Posters...

Status
Not open for further replies.
lubidog said:
I would ban you for this outright lie and for trying to stir up trouble! Ban him, Chip!!!!!
I hope you're being silly here. We all know the lack of tone and inflection on the internet can make innocuous statements seem threatening when they run contrary to your position. Oblivioner may have taken honest disagreement as harsher than it was intended, but you're definitely taking his words here more seriously than intended.

Imagine me holding my thumb and forefinger about half a millimeter apart. That's how close I am to locking this thread. All it seems to be good for is sparking arguments. Either find something useful and non-alienating to discuss here or let the thread die. Please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chip said:
lubidog said:
I would ban you for this outright lie and for trying to stir up trouble! Ban him, Chip!!!!!
I hope you're being silly here. We all know the lack of tone and inflection on the internet can make innocuous statements seem threatening when they run contrary to your position. Oblivioner may have taken honest disagreement as harsher than it was intended, but you're definitely taking his words here more seriously than intended.

Imagine me holding my thumb and forefinger about half a millimeter apart. That's how close I am to locking this thread. All it seems to be good for is sparking arguments. Either find something useful and non-alienating to discuss here or let the thread die. Please.
Of course I am joking, but I was seriously riled! He lied about his thread to try to stir up trouble! Just because he wasn't agreed with!

Now while I would love him to explain himself (won't happen) the real point I was trying to making is this-these boards are some of the friendliest on the net. Why? Because our core posters are ok. The OP's thread wasn't necessary because in the few years I have frequented here they have stayed the same, roughly.

The last thing we need are idiotic posters stirring up trouble! Most of us are polite enough, and if we sometimes flame the odd newb then fine! Let the hoards come and ask us stupid questions!

We can cope. We are adults. Just don't lie about how we respond to stupid questions...

I think that part of the issue is that the core group of developers and community members - the ones who practice good forum etiquette and are generally respectful towards others - are staying away from the forums until the Pandora comes, as there's no need to hang around. Some of the remaining people are likely here to shoot down newbies to the project, as that is their major method of getting satisfaction and feeling good about themselves. The rest of us are just impatient.

Vorporeal said:
I think that part of the issue is that the core group of developers and community members - the ones who practice good forum etiquette and are generally respectful towards others - are staying away from the forums until the Pandora comes, as there's no need to hang around. Some of the remaining people are likely here to shoot down newbies to the project, as that is their major method of getting satisfaction and feeling good about themselves. The rest of us are just impatient.
entirely true- theres not as many idiots in the gp2x sections, so there aren't as many angry assholes. go look, alot more veteran members there with registration dates pre-06 and 07

ngchol said:
MechsWillOneDayStepOnYou said:
However it is quite clear that most (if not all) of the annoying questions do not come from future devs, but from bandwagon jumping, hype-seduced morons. The community was doing fine without them and it will do fine without them.
It's just this kind of pathetic, wannabe-elitist behaviour that will ensure that the community will never grow beyond a small group of people who, frankly, are unlikely to have sexual partners.

lol :huh:

ok stud, if you can drag your self away from all those women clambering after you, i will explain my comment. :rolleyes:

A community should not be judged on its size, quality over quantity.

I was not trying to make the point that i do not want the pandora to sell millions (although on rereading i guess thats how my post is most easily read) but i am saying that this community does not NEED a load of people (the ones not willing to make the effort to be informed) to survive and that saying 'you must be nice to new comers no matter how dumb they are' is false.

The community would survive if the pandora was hugely successful or if it flopped.

Bigger the community, bigger contributer base, more devs, more money for the devs, more money for progressing the hardware, but the big community can also mean big problems.

Bigger the community, bigger contributer base, more devs, more money for the devs, more money for progressing the hardware, but the big community can also mean big problems.

+1
Except the big problems. You extrapolate too much in that direction, it will be less problems than you think, because there are many people happily solving problems ;)
A quick polite answer will instantly prohibit further problems.

Even though I agree that more experienced and knowledgeable forum members could help n00bs instead of flame them, there is a wealth of information that has been recorded in these forums (or fora, whatever) over the years, and new people should at least attempt to find the answers themselves before making new threads.

I personally experienced one instance on the other forum where I along with several other people answered a question when the answer could have been found quite easily but on top of that, the person who created the useless thread turned nasty and demanding and the thread was closed because that particular n00b was a douche-bag and was asking to be flamed because he/she was a stupid asshole.

Plus, all the tension caused by the delays and banking issues and extra new members asking silly questions that have been answered dozens of times over have made things more frustrating for everyone.

EDIT: It's probable best that people aren't mean and alienating, but some new members are complete twats.
Also, @ngchol, just because people here expect common courtesy and manners from people doesnt mean they aren't gettin' some. BTW your hand doesn't count as a sexual partner, you wanker :lol: Leave it alone before you can't see it any more.

EDIT2: BTW, I was kidding around with the "nasty" parts of my post, feel free to have some fun and give me some shit back if you like. It fucking sucks that I had to include a disclaimer at the end. :lol:

sold said:
Even though I agree that more experienced and knowledgeable forum members could help n00bs instead of flame them, there is a wealth of information that has been recorded in these forums (or fora, whatever) over the years, and new people should at least attempt to find the answers themselves before making new threads.

I personally experienced one instance on the other forum where I along with several other people answered a question when the answer could have been found quite easily but on top of that, the person who created the useless thread turned nasty and demanding and the thread was closed because that particular n00b was a douche-bag and was asking to be flamed because he/she was a stupid asshole.

Plus, all the tension caused by the delays and banking issues and extra new members asking silly questions that have been answered dozens of times over have made things more frustrating for everyone.

EDIT: It's probable best that people aren't mean and alienating, but some new members are complete twats.
Also, @ngchol, just because people here expect common courtesy and manners from people doesnt mean they aren't gettin' some. BTW your hand doesn't count as a sexual partner, you wanker :lol: Leave it alone before you can't see it any more.

EDIT2: BTW, I was kidding around with the "nasty" parts of my post, feel free to have some fun and give me some shit back if you like. It fucking sucks that I had to include a disclaimer at the end. :lol:

So it seems, that we all agree with each other more or less, and can finally let the thread die. B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back