General Forum Closure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think keeping this forum open does have the advantage of keeping the other ones clean, I don't know what will keep people from trolling them down posing messages questions as news or dev related.

There is nothing wrong with censorship when its been advertised as part of the registration agreement(at least the one I agreed to). If you don't like what people are saying, warn them, and after a few warnings take action, as explained. Mods should be ruthless, but that ruthlessness should not come from someone to close to the company so:
a)over reactions from users wont result in resentment towards OP
b)OP people who misbehave repeatedly have their posts/accounts subject to the same amount of "censorship"

Ley pareja no es dura, as we say. A fair law is not harsh.

RenegadeChic said:
im completely anti censorship,

You're anti censorship but you want to freeze an entire form because:

i and i am sure many others are sick to death of all this nonsense.

right?

Well those that are sick to death of the nonsense have two options:

1 - Don't read the appropriate threads, or
2 - Don't visit these forums

Asking for an entire subform to be shut down just because you don't like the content is crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, lets stop the forums, lets silence everyone that has an opinion and lets all go and enjoy our seperate lives in peace and harmony. There's me thinking it was a comunity forum... wait... comunity.. Like a soap opera.. Does a soap opera only have happy story lines?

No. Welcome to real life and welcoeme to the coumunity forum. Enjoy your stay but mind there may be bumps on the road and lots of grumpy trolls and old ladies along the way. If you banned everyone for breathing you'd have only the fan boys posting and then there'd be no reason to release the pandora in the next 20 years.

I wonder if this forum has been locked while I type this. Most likely damn that x68040 amiga 4000.

You want my order number... You can't handle my order number.!

Now smile and ilghten up.

Anyone for a game of darts?

Are you insane! I don't watch soap operas and this is the only way to receive a decent daily nerdly shot of drama. Thanks Craigix and Vimacs. Keep up the good work :)

craigix said:
You should not take the forum this seriously. It's just like a bunch of drunk people in a pub.
+1

And regarding new infos, just check the "Latest Info" link in my sig. There is _much_ going on, even if the bickering hides it sometimes. We would lose this info when shutting down the forums.

If these boards get extremely cut by the MODs, people will leave. We had this on the German boards, and it was the reason I cancelled my order. Many people enjoy the vivid discussions and not all is bad. We have many gems among the members. Censor discussions and lose those who need some more room to live in.

atomicthumbs said:
to elaborate on why your idea is bad:

• this forum offers an easy way for customers and those interested to get in touch with the OpenPandora team
  • this forum is the only place for Pandora discussion
  • this forum is 4 corner simultaneous 4 day time cube
  • this forum allows easy discussion of software development, announcement of projects, and discussion of capabilities for the Pandora
  • this forum allows potential OP customers to get answers to their questions
  • this forum is the only easy method, other than Twitter and the official blog, for the team to post updates, and it's not really worth updating the blog over minor things
  • this forum allows people to give feedback to devs and the OP team
  • you are Educated Stupid

i didnt read any of that. but bullet points are a great way to show information*hic*

It can also be more difficult on these forums as it's a global forum with many different countries and languages with varying English abilities. So what may be said in a nice way may be seen as not being so nice because of the language barriers. Plus each country has it's own individual sense of humour which can vary greatly.

I think on the whole we've all done pretty well. :)

Just remember.. from every apple seed an apple tree may grow :) with good and the occasional bad apple

Kyosys said:
craigix said:
You should not take the forum this seriously. It's just like a bunch of drunk people in a pub.
You're insulting the forum? What's your order number?

pawprints said:
It can also be more difficult on these forums as it's a global forum with many different countries and languages with varying English abilities. So what may be said in a nice way may be seen as not being so nice because of the language barriers. Plus each country has it's own individual sense of humour which can vary greatly.

I think on the whole we've all done pretty well. :)

Just remember.. from every apple seed an apple tree may grow :) with good and the occasional bad apple

I totally agree there. sarcasm for one is such a hard thing to pull off on a forum ignoring the fact that other cultures might not get the joke.
we need this forum to be open. a closed door will only push away future developers just looking for more information on the Pandora.

under the light of current events maybe alot of people would agree that the forum needs to be censored but i personally think this is the average day of a typical message board. if people can get on with things then the forum itself grows, we all know now not to piss people off who have put their hearts and souls into a community driven project. overreaction is a bugger and a calming influence from a German with awesome hair can save us from the brink of destruction. if this message board does anything right its the freedom for people passonate about a cause to really flourish and push forward into something brilliant!

mali said:
If these boards get extremely cut by the MODs, people will leave. We had this on the German boards, and it was the reason I cancelled my order. Many people enjoy the vivid discussions and not all is bad. We have many gems among the members. Censor discussions and lose those who need some more room to live in.

I at least am not talking about censoring normal discussion. I am only talking about tightening the grip on the banhammer in reference to these damn cockfights about overclocking or how Craig should apologize, etc.

-God Ginrai

Close the forum? Make people homeless and wander off into the wild green yonder where there's RL trolls ready to harm you with more than only words?

This will sort out itself. No closing forums, what would that look like? "Pandora forum closed due insanity - visit again after release" ?

Which release? The Pandora's or the users' from the asylum?

If you don't like it you're, as stated above, free to avoid the forum.

I should bitch since I had to move out to attend an internship where I have good lodging but no interwebs except an unbelievably shitty mobile phone connection. It allows me to bring you this uninteresting information, as well as joining the mass idling in #openpandora. I can neither join in defending my alliance's systems, nor can I watch/listen streams or use TS. You get used to things with the years. And I am used to this forum. So, leave me one of the few interweb things that, now and then, make having contact to the outside world worth it.

The problem is only a few people who continue to push the issue at this point. The majority of people here just want everyone to make nice with each other so that the pandora itself doesn't get the shaft in all this.

There is no need to close the general section, if you aren't interested in posts in a given section do not visit that section, it will be as if the section is closed for you, and yet still allow everyone else that wants to use it, to use it. It is actually very straight forward, I almost feel silly having to state this, but this thread was created after all so there seems to have been some confusion.

Seriously, anyone that is having issues due to the fact a section of a forum is open needs to go get a life. Even the guys on IT Crowd would be embarrassed to say such silly things..

Steve

God Ginrai said:
mali said:

I at least am not talking about censoring normal discussion. I am only talking about tightening the grip on the banhammer in reference to these damn cockfights about overclocking or how Craig should apologize, etc.

-God Ginrai

problem is people who make it perfectly clear they're either not bothering with the pandora (for whatever reason) or not in the current batch pissing around and throwing their weight into every topic to belittle every aspect of the project in negative ways. sure mali etc have the right to do this, and we cant stop them from expressing their oppinions. but like any social environment there coems a time when you have to ask your guests to leave.

all i can say on the subject truthfully is mali hopefully didnt mean to say he knowingly screws over warranties of product with companies and that craigix overreacted. mali dropped his side of the debate and i think to push it further would be going with and dragging up the problem.

mods are here for a reason if they dont want you to talk about something they will cut you how they please. its their site not yours. freedom of speach doesnt grant you any permit to run you mouth off about anyone or say what you think all the time. but i think both parties in this arguement have been warned anyway.

Thats a pretty good analogy, a bunch of drunk people in a pub.Everyone drinks too much talks nonsense,and then cant remember
a thing the next day.Sweet.

thread summary:

dr7Yn.png

Attachments

• dr7Yn.png
    dr7Yn.png
    503 bytes · Views: 121
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back