A Pandora 2 Concept

We had looked at bigger resolution screens, and bigger screens, but almost all the new Android phones are the Pandora resolution and they do a very good job of making you think they are higher when you use them (clever scaling for webpages etc.).

So I don't know, maybe the current res is right, besides there still isn't easy or cheap availability of higher resolutions.

We had looked at bigger resolution screens, and bigger screens, but almost all the new Android phones are the Pandora resolution and they do a very good job of making you think they are higher when you use them (clever scaling for webpages etc.).

So I don't know, maybe the current res is right, besides there still isn't easy or cheap availability of higher resolutions.
Interesting. I look forward to whatever ye come up with.

After scouring the net for a higher res screen that fits our current case, I'm pretty sure one doesn't exist. Best I could find is this:

http://www.panelook.com/modeldetail_parameter.php?id=7206

The height being the limiting factor. Unless we are talking about a complete redesign of the case (prob a bad idea if we want to see the p2 this decade), the speakers are not the problem, the height of the case is. The referenced screen still leaves space on either side (for smaller speakers I guess) but the height looks to be just a hair to tall. In fact, the case looks exactly big enough for a 4.3" screen and no more (duh, right?), unless of course, op has one custom made.

Craig, would a redesign on the case be out of the question. Like perhaps just making it a few mm taller, or would we be talking prototype hell again? I imagine some differences in the case would have to be on the table, right?

Would it be possible to put anything else in the unused space next to the screen?

What about backlight panels with down-facing shades, for illuminating the keyboard?

I agree that the res is fine, but a slightly larger screen would be really great.

Would it be possible to put anything else in the unused space next to the screen?

What about backlight panels with down-facing shades, for illuminating the keyboard?

Perhaps an LED like some of the old IBM thinkpads? Those were really useful. Only thing is, if the pandora is fully open then they wont be shining on the keys :(

Craig, would a redesign on the case be out of the question. Like perhaps just making it a few mm taller, or would we be talking prototype hell again? I imagine some differences in the case would have to be on the table, right?

I guess the real problem is that the moulds cost a lot... and the time/cost of prototyping and getting everything perfect

I'm just wondering if that's avoidable at all. If the case will need redesigned anyway, we can talk about a bigger screen. If no redesign is going to happen, upgrades will be pretty limited, I'm guessing.

I wonder, would the case need to get new molds and go through prototyping if something as simple as moving (or adding) a connector hole in the back was to be attempted?

Did anyone make contact with Pixel Qi around the idea of using their screen technology?

It might fail on the 'cheap' criteria, but could cause heart palpitations on the cool scale.

We sampled a screen which was (I think) 1280*960 but 1) it was only 250k colour 2) was still very slightly too big and 3) very very expensive.

We might just have to stick to 800*480 and let the fact that Android runs at that res give us piles of software optimised for it.

That was 3+ years ago - surely they've improved their production capabilities some by now?

Fewer colors (-)

Higher resolution by two steps (++)

Slightly too big (-) though if the case could be modified to fit it (+)

Very very expensive (----)

Ability to turn off the back light and still see what song is playing (+)

Ability to use the display in harsh sunlight (+)

General geeky coolness (+^+)

Close balance. I wonder if the very very expensive (4X LCD? more?) is now down to just expensive (2X LCD?)?

Who knows - they may even have that slightly smaller size you need?

For a 1280x960 Pixel Qi screen though, I'd mod the case lid with a rotary tool, tongue depressors and superglue to make it fit.

Anyway - since we're talking Pandora 2.0 here - it might be worth re-visiting with them to find out the details.

That was 3+ years ago - surely they've improved their production capabilities some by now?

Fewer colors (-)

Higher resolution by two steps (++)

Slightly too big (-) though if the case could be modified to fit it (+)

Very very expensive (----)

Ability to turn off the back light and still see what song is playing (+)

Ability to use the display in harsh sunlight (+)

General geeky coolness (+^+)

Close balance. I wonder if the very very expensive (4X LCD? more?) is now down to just expensive (2X LCD?)?

Who knows - they may even have that slightly smaller size you need?

For a 1280x960 Pixel Qi screen though, I'd mod the case lid with a rotary tool, tongue depressors and superglue to make it fit.

Anyway - since we're talking Pandora 2.0 here - it might be worth re-visiting with them to find out the details.

No, we sampled it a few months ago.

The industry seems to have settled on 4.3" and 800*480 being a standard.

It's very hard to get away from that size/res without paying *crazy* prices. $100+.

I think what he's saying is that they did consider it - but that the price jumps very quickly. Although there might be a few of us who would be willing to pay $100 more for a higher resolution screen - suddenly the Pandora becomes a $700 device. In this world of sub $250 7" tablet computers and hand held game consoles for sale in the check out line - a $700+ device becomes a very niche product - which the Pandora already qualifies as.

People would be prepared to pay more for a bigger higher res screen, I would anyway.
smile.png
please consider it.

The problem is the screen would also be 250k colour, they all tend to be 250k for some reason.

I'd be fine with that to get the higher resolution and daylight readability, but I use my Pandora more for non-gaming tasks than games.

It would be nice with 1280 x 720 though, as newer android phones seem to go with that.

Personally I find that 800*480 on my pandora and Galaxy S2 isn't high enough for web surfing without being just a bit annoyed by the resolution.

Not sure 720 would help alot with that though.

Thats a shame, I would love a larger (same res) screen. However I really want HD (vga, dvi, dp, hdmi) output.

Thats a shame, I would love a larger (same res) screen. However I really want HD (vga, dvi, dp, hdmi) output.

"For a 1280x960 Pixel Qi screen though, I'd mod the case lid with a rotary tool, tongue depressors and superglue to make it fit."

To me, a 5" Pixel Qi 1280x960 screen with a dual core CPU and 1GB RAM and 2GB NAND, super high speed dual SDXC support, USB 3.0 host, GPS, tilt, accelerometer, barometer and 4 trigger buttons in a clam shell with the Pandora's audio and keyboard/nub/controls setup... I could justify $750 for that.

That would likely alienate a significant portion of the Pandora's audience. Then again, though, it's not like they're selling cupcakes. A certain level of affluence is assumed for an audience willing to purchase a $500 palmtop computer. Maybe there is room to move more upscale?

We might just have to stick to 800*480 and let the fact that Android runs at that res give us piles of software optimised for it.

This comment just clicked in my brain...

Is this to imply that the Pandora 2.0 will run Android as an alternative and have access to the Android Marketplace?

I think what he's saying is that they did consider it - but that the price jumps very quickly. Although there might be a few of us who would be willing to pay $100 more for a higher resolution screen - suddenly the Pandora becomes a $700 device.

I think the current pandoras worth £700 the way it is :D .

Back