A Pandora 2 Concept

Sorry guys for derailing the thread, I will try to keep it on track now.

In regards to the post by Mweston, I think if the next Pandora had a dual core 2Ghz Cpu, that would be awesome. It gets me thinking , what other emulators that CPU would be able to accommodate. I guess it would open the door for some systems that haven't been emulated yet which is what really gets me excited, and hopeful that this eventuates.

I think there is a 20 year thing on patents, after the 20 years has passed you can use the design without infringement.... I'm pretty sure the wheel is well past that 20 year mark... and what stan said about proving that the design existed before the patent awarded... the 360 hinge thing being well under the 20 year mark seeing how laptops are just slightly over that 20 year mark it's self... clamshell even if patented orignally have been around for longer and can't collect anymore if they ever did oringally (which they should have if they didn't they're stupid or just gave the design to the benifit of technology as a whole)

I'd like to see one of those nvidia tegra 3 quad core + companion core chipsets myself... that freggin thing is zippy and power efficent like stuff I havne't seen before

Last edited by a moderator:
As I said, my paper Pandora feels like touchscreen access could be really good if it were properly balanced and the hinge locked properly. Possibly this would be a more practical angle to improve on?

how about a detachable base keyboard with game controls a la transformer for when the user want the pda/ebook style just for viewing files, browsing, listening to music and watching videos.

As I said, my paper Pandora feels like touchscreen access could be really good if it were properly balanced and the hinge locked properly. Possibly this would be a more practical angle to improve on?
I would very much like a hinge with more "grip". In my eyes it's the weakest spot of the device, I only use the touch screen with the lid open all the way. And then the screen still doesn't sit still but bobs down when I touch it. I found myself putting a pack of cigs, a book, a remote control or whatever is in reach underneath it to stop it from doing that. All that's when it's sitting on the desk and I'm trying to write or scribble on the screen. It's not so bad for just single clicking links for example. When handheld I kind of support the lid with my L trigger finger.

how about a detachable base keyboard with game controls a la transformer for when the user want the pda/ebook style just for viewing files, browsing, listening to music and watching videos.
Asus might have that patented :)

I still like the 360 degree hinge proposed by Binky, as this is generic and at least 1300 years old(Simple double barrel design) it should be fine. See my example of what a 360 degree hinge is, in one of my earlier posts. Also, I searched US Patents Online DB and it came up blank for a 360 degree hinge after searching with several possible wordings.

Just dont use the flip up and twist 180 degree design which is not a 360 degree hinge as this may be patented by Lenovo?. It seems people are confusing a 360 degree hinge with this flippy , twisty thing which some laptop/tablets use, it is a completely different kettle of fish and not a 360 degree hinge

Also, Id like to see a comp just before any launch of a Pandora 2 in the same spirit as the current one being run by ED. The only difference is I would make it solely to develop a new emulator(s). If the hardware of any Pandora 2 is up to it, it would be an awesome way to kick off a P2 with an emulator no other device had.

Asus might have that patented :)

you cant patent ideas, only specific designs, so if you were to make a dock and just do it differently than asus it'd be fine. You could make 2 connectors, or a differnt tpe of connector, different locking mechinism, clamp , whatever...

i regres a little bit though you would have to make it different enough so that it can't be contested, or else it would be taken to court... if it was different but only with internal design that can only be determined in court and that's what I believe is what is tyring to be avoided here. So it would have to look physically different to get away without possible infringement.

the swivel hinge is a design. Say you put a swivel type hinge in a corner you could do that cause nobody has that patented but it's not a practicle design. the hinge it's self would still need to be different. The fact it's in the corner would probally keep you out of court even if the hinge it's self was the same like how it worked. But if it was taken to court they would say... hey thats the same thing. So both how it looked and how it worked would ultimately need to be different. The obvious way to do it is probally patented, you must think of a new way to acomplish the same thing. If you figued out a different way to do 360 degrees you could probally get away with that. Like the slide out thing blinky drew or whatever.

you can't patent the idea of turning the screen around , just the way it's done, see the difference?

if you coud patent ideas we'd all be screwed or everyone just using the same mobile devices etc... iphones ... err bad example lol

@Android

The good news as per my previous post, is that the 360 degree hinge has not been patented, which wasn't a real surprise given it has been around for so long. So it can be used as well.

Actually while I was there I thought I might do some reading of the patent laws, it was interesting reading(at least for the first 5 minutes - lol). There were a lot of things of interest such as:

1) Patents being valid for 20 years - which you mentioned earlier , I can confirm it's true.

2) Patents can only be granted for new designs that have no precedence .

3) Patents are only applicable in the country they are lodged. Which believe it or not, means you can have a patent in the US and someone else can use & build your design in another country that does not have that patent lodged. This explains how china is able to do what they do. Lesson make sure you patent your design in china (if it's possible).

have you gone though all of lonovo's patents? Simple search of all almost billion US patents I don't think is enough. I'd hire a patent lawyer to be sure. Even if you have one there's always some that slip through even with a team.

EDIT: 10 million not billion sorry... way over estimated that one

I think the best stategy would be to find a design that seeral companies are using, contact that company's legal department and get them to say on paper they don't have it patented

@Android,

You must have missed the previous posts about the Lenovo Patent, it turns out that patent was for the flip and twist 180 degree design that the Lenovo laptop/tablet uses along with the Fujitsu Lifebook. As I have said this is not a 360 degree hinge. A 360 degree hinge is something entirely different, It commonly is a simple double barrel design (go through my previous posts on the past pages , you'll see an example I posted) that has existed quite literally for a very long time (im talking like 1000 years ).

I don't care either way really I think the design is silly and prone to breaking in half... I like the docking / tablet idea myself when I suggested it a while back

I'm just saying contact any potential competitors with designs even similar to CYOA

EDIT: on your 3 up there... I am no lawyer obviously, but i'd be curious how it works with the world trade orginzation (WTO) ? I have done no research on it but it might only be trademarks and copywrites rather than design patents... which china doesn't seem to care about any of these things lol... but i also heard that china was an exception due to certian agreements with large orginizations due to the fact they produce some crazy % of the world's stuff

EDIT2 answerd my own question... aparently the laws are the same there as they are here... copywrite, trademark, patents... china is a member of the wto TRIPS or whatever it is that protects agianst stuff like that... however they're ability to stop that stuff is waaaaay behind their ability to produce due to the amount of stuff they produce, population, resources, goverment intervention etc etc... we'd have the same problem here if we produced that much crap aparently Plus they only entered into the two in 2001

Fair enough , your not an advocate of the 360 I see , I can appreciate that.

Id put it in 2nd spot in my prefs actually, just behind Binky's initial flip up and slide down which I think would be awesome.

I think these days theres an organisation that can file your patent world wide in each country, so it's a bit of a non event really. Just make sure you do that rather than file the patent only in your country.

It would be good to know for certain weather the 360deg hinge is patented...

@Binky,

From the searches Ive done , It isn't Binky - at least not for the very old double barrel design. It was just confused with the other 180 flip and 180 twist hinge used on some Laptop's like the Fujitsu T4220 I have and of course the Lenovo which seems to have this 180 double flip and twist design patented. It was just a case of mis-understanding that the 2 things were entirely different.

... In which case, I firmly propose a 'double-barrel' 360Degree hinge for the P2. It has all the advantages of a standard clamshell, while also providing a touchscreen-centric configuration. The hinge would not occupy the entire back face, in order for there to be room for rear-facing connectors. It would also allow you to reach around the back to use some of the game controls.

-

What about putting speakers in the hinge piece, allowing for the entire lid to be given over to screen.

like the fact that you could flip the screen, that is a nice touch and really makes it look cool. But to have the D-pad under the nubs just ruins it for me. And really, I like the current design more than this. But still a good and cool design :)

2) Patents can only be granted for new designs that have no precedence .
Like for hyperlinks years after their creation? ;)

That might have been one of the reasons/cases they tightened the patent clauses for. It seems there are quite a few rules you need to now pass in order to get a patent. No doubt a lot has changed in the 12 years since that BT fiasco

like the fact that you could flip the screen, that is a nice touch and really makes it look cool. But to have the D-pad under the nubs just ruins it for me. And really, I like the current design more than this. But still a good and cool design :)

What do you think of a 360Degree hinge?

Back