A Pandora 2 Concept

What do you think of a 360Degree hinge?
I think such a hinge would seriously delay the Pandora 2 because it requires a case redesign, which I vote against. Furthermore, it does not solve the issue of the wobbly hinge which only stays in closed or all open position but makes it worse instead.

What do you think of a 360Degree hinge?

I think there are some other major hurdles to get past beyond a concept drawing. The original Pandora could barely get a decent run-of-the-mill hinge out.

For Pandora 2 designs, KISS. I wish this topic was about us salivating at the thought of a dual core pandora. I would not buy any Pandora based on the concept drawings or descriptions proposed.

And I'd say a patent lawyer is a must if you're going to do a silly design, a couple of google searches isn't going to end the issue for the OP team.

I think such a hinge would seriously delay the Pandora 2 because it requires a case redesign, which I vote against. Furthermore, it does not solve the issue of the wobbly hinge which only stays in closed or all open position but makes it worse instead.

+1

I honestly think a radical redesign should only be concidered (if at all) for the P3.

The P2 should hardly even be announced before it's ready to ship. I don't think a loooong period of hype will work in it's favor.

I am very happy with the Pandoras physical configuration. IMO any other design that enhances touchscreen access would make using the game controls and keyboard less ergonomic and would probably increase the weight of the unit. These are things I do not want.

I am very happy with the Pandoras physical configuration. IMO any other design that enhances touchscreen access would make using the game controls and keyboard less ergonomic and would probably increase the weight of the unit. These are things I do not want.
Does that include a 360Deg hinge?

Yes, I believe that a 360Deg hinge will have many negative aspects with the only positive aspect being enhanced touchscreen usability and I am confident that enhanced touchscreen usability will be less than awesome due to the thickness of the Pandora. I also think better touchscreen usability on the Pandora is unimportant because a very ergonomic touchscreen is not required for what the Pandora is intended for.

All that said, as I reflect on what I just wrote, I realize that better ergonomics for the touch screen would be nice. But I also think that a more touch friendly screen could result in apps that are not very usable on the P1.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that the pandora form factor does not need a major overhaul. However, there are 2 problems with the pandora IMHO:

1. The screen doesn't stay in any position you want it... and there are problems with the hinge design somehow... maybe now resolved, but my screen is now purple/green most of the time (and my USB port has never worked), but I don't want to send it back and have to wait a year for it to return, so am waiting for more PCBs to be made.

2. I really don't like the keyboard. But this is hard and expensive to fix I think... I am used to Psion 5/5mx and their amazing keyboards. I also don't like the extremely non-standard key layout... it takes me forever to find things. Please don't suggest I change the mapping... this would be worse as I'd forget where I'd mapped things to and the labels wouldn't match anymore.

One other thing that might be nice is an LCD without such a large bezel... I'm not worried about speakers. A different sort of touch screen might be nice as well but not really fussed by that.

Given the power of a projected P2 (>1GHz, multi-core?) I think filling out the lid with screen would be very useful. The problem is; where to re-locate the speakers to?

Wouldn't that reduce bass performance dramatically?

What about moving the SD cards to the sides and putting speakers on the front?

What exactly is so special about a slightly wider screen? A few extra horizontal pixels won't do much at all. I'm only guessing here, but it seems no more than maybe 100 or so pixels could be added in the TINY space that's used for the speakers.

The issue I experience with the screen size is usually height, not width, so that would be completely useless anyway.

What exactly is so special about a slightly wider screen? A few extra horizontal pixels won't do much at all. I'm only guessing here, but it seems no more than maybe 100 or so pixels could be added in the TINY space that's used for the speakers.

The issue I experience with the screen size is usually height, not width, so that would be completely useless anyway.

More room for toolbars &c on the sides? System monitors? Quick controls for things?

More room for toolbars &c on the sides? System monitors? Quick controls for things?

I'd rather keep the existing speakers.. The sound out of them is very good for a portable device.

I have the exact opposite opinion... screen size is very important, makes the whole experience better. I don't even want more pixels. I'm sure if PCB size was reduced only slightly the speakers could go at the front or back. Or maybe even underneath. I suspect that more of an issue is finding a suitable screen of the right size, price and availability.

We are not talking about more pixels, just about a bigger screen. This would make viewing more comfortable, and make small fonts more readable.

When taking about the expenses of a case redesign, Is it safe to assume that minor variations are not a problem?

e.g.

• putting speakers at the front and SD slots on the sides is OK (just filling/adding holes in the case)
  • Something complicated with flippy hinges is expensive (reorganizing large areas)

My guess most of the changes listed here would require a complete redesign.. And generally most widescreen LCD screens are similar ratio by adding a "Wider" screen would most likely cause the height of the screen to be increased as well and there isn't much room for a height change on the lid.

Edit: But for the Pandora 2, it may not be a bad idea to rethink the case anyway..

Back