A Pandora 2 Concept

Binky

Death's Steed
Staff member
Setting aside the fact that the P2 will not begin the design process for quite a while, if ever, and that The Team have some ideas up their colective sleeves, I thought it might be worth suggesting this:

final1gq.png

This would also be good for e-book reading if the screen were partially reflective.

The strange colour-sheme is optional.

(MIUbit have had their HDPC design floating around for years, updated it umpteen times, they might be so fed up that they'd license the flippy screen just to get a return on their investment!)

Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a design we had in the early planning days for Pandora 1 :)

The issue is: Typing on the keyboard would be awkward if it's recessed like that.

That's a design we had in the early planning days for Pandora 1 :)

The issue is: Typing on the keyboard would be awkward if it's recessed like that.

Has it become easier to make the lid thin over the past few years?

Could the keyboard be designed to use more front-back space, and less sideways space, accessing the middle of the recess can't be that hard, can it?

The lid CAN be made a bit thinner, sure, but that would also make it more breakable.

Regarding keyboard design, it's not easy to change from a standard QWERTY-Keyboard to something that uses less sideways space.

The Pandora would have to be very wide (like the PSP) or the keyboard would need to have tiny keys to fit in there.

So it would only work with significant amounts of metal in the lid, and either a strange screen shape, or a strange keyboard.

I think it would be worth it for me personally, but I don't know about anyone else...

Um is it just me or is the cross and button mapping on the wrong side? I'm not sure I have ever played anything that had the cross on the right and buttons on the left, except for the Atari Lnyx with it's crazy flip the screen mode.

Um is it just me or is the cross and button mapping on the wrong side? I'm not sure I have ever played anything that had the cross on the right and buttons on the left, except for the Atari Lnyx with it's crazy flip the screen mode.

Probably, although you could turn this upside down as well in one configuration. Just imagine a mirror image of it :)

Are there forum threads round here from 2007ish discussing the design of the Pandora1 that I can look at?

I actually like the fact that the buttons are protected by the lid when closed. It's supposed to go into your pocket, and so the buttons would constantly get pressed and probably even pushed to the side. I fear this will kill the buttons at some point ... well actually the nubs will probably go first.

Are there forum threads round here from 2007ish discussing the design of the Pandora1 that I can look at?

I think for that you need to have a look at gp32x.de

Do we really need a radical redesign for the P2?

I looked at that pic and spent some time thinking how it could be modified to work optimaly... and it ended up getting too complicated.

So why are we wanting to emulate a tablet design?

Clamshell = win

I would like to see a more sturdy hinge, and a more comfortable grip (but i can't see how this would be implemented).

The problem is that the entire design will have to follow the needs of the flippable display (which will most likely loose the ability to flip by 180° backwards as it does now). The strength of the Pandora is however the number of different ways to control it at the same time. If you loose that ability because everything has to be placed at a less convenient spot just to enable the screen to flip, you loose more than you gain.

My impressions:

• D-pad and action buttons are reversed.
  • D-pad, actions buttons and nubs are in uncomfortable positions
  • I expect the sunken keyboard to be awkward to use as well.

A big price to pay for little gain, in my opinion.

Having a hinge able to bend like that and can carry the LCD cable to the screen without breaking would be difficult to design right.. the Clam shell design is simpler by far.

The problem is that the entire design will have to follow the needs of the flippable display (which will most likely loose the ability to flip by 180° backwards as it does now).

Eh? That's sort of the point! You flip it 180° and then slide it forward.

@Mr Rob, That would be very neat. If only there was a mechanically simple way to do it... <_<

---

I don't suppose this will happen :unsure: But it would be good if those with the officially proposed plans, could provide some kind of hints as to the range of designs that are on the table. (all I know is 1) simpler 2) more complicated 3) same 4) different 5) laptopish and obviously) there will be gaming controls)

Then I can come up with more relevant mad ideas. :lol: Or are they getting annoying now? I'll stop if requested!

---

What do people think about a narrow keyboard/wide screen to avoid putting things in the corners?

More insanity coming up!

IF (thats a big if) the P2 were to have a capacitive touchscreen (yes I prefer resistive too, but remember the gaming controls are good for pointer movement)

Then an triple slide-out would be possible:

screen(with super-tough glass)

gaming controls slide out from that

and/or keyboard slides out even lower

screen only:

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

gaming controls:

keyboard:

Keyboard & game controls:

But where to put the board then?

This will get very thick with a setup like this.

Back