A bunch of pictures

I like my Pandora (even whit the first batch issues) and the Pyra would indeet also be"first Batch" but i think it will be much much better Build than the Pandora: the Cases, the Wifi, everything..

And whit these lots of unexpektet features (Bling Bling Logo and Keyboard, Rumble Feature, 4 Shoulderbutton )

The Question is: how do i have to prepare my Pandora then, to sit in the Chell of interesting old Handhelds once i have my Pyra??

I like my Pandora (even whit the first batch issues) and the Pyra would indeet also be"first Batch" but i think it will be much much better Build than the Pandora: the Cases, the Wifi, everything..

And whit these lots of unexpektet features (Bling Bling Logo and Keyboard, Rumble Feature, 4 Shoulderbutton )

The Question is: how do i have to prepare my Pandora then, to sit in the Chell of interesting old Handhelds once i have my Pyra??
No.  You don't put your Pandora on the same shelf as other handhelds.  You put it on a different shelf because it's a different class of handheld ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I only have one Shelf: there is allready:

The PSX Games i bought for the Pandora,

The Cardboard Box of the Pandora,

Gameboy Micro

Advance SP

The Old Gray DS Classic

And the Old Gameboy i got lot yeahrs ago..

And some little Modell Trucks (Match Box etc)..

Then i have some Bookchells, but there full of Books, and Unimog Modells :)

An immediate use that just popped into my mind - a teach yourself to blind type on the Pyra... buzzes you if you press the wrong key.
 that is about the most interesting idea for the pyra software ive heard so far. make it rumble on the wrong key pressed, and a timer to get it right or also rumbles

No.  You don't put your Pandora on the same shelf as other handhelds.  You put it on a different shelf because it's a different class of handheld ;)
matzesu, you need a nice display shelving unit like this one eh? :)

500x498.jpg

...Pandora can reside at the top of the handheld-console archive pyramid 

Im not a big fan of shelfs,

I wants to show the Pyra my Peaples, or the old handhelds, mybe the Shelf where i have the handhelds is more a "parking range"..

I dotnt know what i have to make whit my "old Pandora" when i get my "New Pandora"..

I knew, the Pyra isnt ofizially a 'Pandora" but for me its the synonym for a DS Sized Linux PC whit Gamingcontrolls..

I dont know, meybe i put the Pandy just on the Shelf in our Livingroom..

When i get my own House, maybe i bought me a Shelf for my Handhelds, i dotnt know..

I still think the Pandora might make an awesome audio player if you can bridge the battery as per the hacker's guide to stop it using up the battery life over time. Either use the TV out or wire up some sort of two-line LCD for control feedback and tuck it away in your hifi stack, handling all your music collection needs (possibly off a large USB2 HDD - I can only fit about 50 FLAC albums on my 64-gig card - along with the OS and all my PNDs).

I'll be keeping mine as a backup... granted its Waaaay to battle scarred to sell... not that I would anyways :)

First of all: That is really nice work.

And now for the questions:

-Any chance for extra soldering pads from the keyboard matrix?

-If you will do a talk on the gamescon, which day will it be?

(Still don't know waether to come or not. For me it'll be most likely for the Pyra only..)

Yes, by default I believe the four rows are the keyboard, then there's three home buttons between the nubs, five hardware control ones above, the d-pad on the left leaving the remaining six buttons for the game buttons.

That said, given this time the keyboard will have plastic tops bonded to a rubber keymat, that's quite similar to the plastic keys held by lugs over a rubber keymat (Pandora's game buttons). Assume the Pyra will have game buttons akin to the Pandora's, the game buttons will probably feel more similar to the game buttons than the Pandora's epoxied rubber ones do. So it may well be preferable to some to use the keyboard buttons to augment the dedicated game buttons for when a good six-button layout is needed.

The O and P keys on the Pandora also feel squishier and less certain than the game buttons, I will enjoy if the Pyra's letter keys feel more like certain on-off presses.

How exactly does one insert images as little clickable thumbnails?  I only know how to paste them obnoxiously.

Click on the more reply options button at the bottom of the thread, then click on choose files to select and upload the picture, then finally click on the add to post link and you're sorted.

Note that only works in forums where attaching is allowed, which is not all of them. I don't remember which ones it works in and which ones it doesn't at the moment though.

For what thermal characteristics is the CPU board designed?

Does it support the OMAP5 at permanent full load (e.g. a make -j of a large project) or would that require throttling? Would it support (even) more power hungry SoCs without overheating (the user and/or the SoC)?

And will you be able to make a Christmess Video whit the Pyra Sitting on your snowed gardentable, whyle you whear a whyd fur hat ???

Because only 600 mhz, the Pandora ditnt made much heat, but the Pyra is much powerfull..

I can Remember, EvilDragon mentionet something whit a Professional Heat Sink, but i cant image, how this should look..

Mybe whe see this when the CPU Board is ready and everything is combinied to a working Prototyphe..

I would kind of like to know how this will happen also. Isn't the CPU going to be sandwiched between the 2 PCBs? Or is it on the other side?

I can Remember, EvilDragon mentionet something whit a Professional Heat Sink, but i cant image, how this should look..
A heatsink is a block of conductive material (probably aluminium) sculpted as to give it a large surface area and painted to radiate heat (so, black).  Imagine that, in such a shape as to fit inside a Pyra case, and I reckon you've pretty much got it.

A heatsink is a block of conductive material (probably aluminium) sculpted as to give it a large surface area and painted to radiate heat (so, black).  Imagine that, in such a shape as to fit inside a Pyra case, and I reckon you've pretty much got it.
Are heatsinks usually painted?  The ones I encounter usually are not.

I keep meaning to ask this.  Will a heatsink in a mostly sealed case dissipate or remove heat enough without a way to move air out of the case to prevent damage?   

Back