2 extra face buttons, ins and del?

Silent-Hunter

Hardcore Member
On the Pandora, the ABXY buttons are the page up, page down, home, and end keys (not necessarily in that order). I assume it will be the same on the Pyra, but the Pyra will have six. Will the two extra ones be Insert and Delete?

I use A snd B for mouse buttons.  It might be nice if they could be those on Pyra by default.

I use A snd B for mouse buttons.  It might be nice if they could be those on Pyra by default.
Oh, and move the Home and End keys to the two new buttons? That's not a bad idea either! The main reason I want Insert on one of the buttons is I plan to use CDE as my desktop environment, and it uses Shift+Insert for paste and Ctrl+Insert for copy.

Last edited by a moderator:
So do I, but that's conflicted with a lot of games I've played so I keep having to turn it off again.  That conflict continuing to happen is a reason I may have enjoyed using two new buttons for the mouse instead.  But I wouldn't want to use the new buttons for that.

Oh, and move the Home and End keys to the two new buttons? That's not a bad idea either! The main reason I want Insert on one of the buttons is I plan to use CDE as my desktop environment, and it uses Shift+Insert for paste and Ctrl+Insert for copy.
I am all for a default layout that is more useful for more people.  I would like to be able to map the mouse buttons to some buttons, maybe the new shoulder ones.  I suppose I should go read through the keyboard layout thread to see what is currently being proposed.

I do use page up and page down frequently, and do miss home and end, such as when using a terminal, since hitting 1 button is easier than ctrl+a.  A real delete key would really help, and although I rarely use insert at present I think it is a good idea if people will use it.  Maybe I can map left mouse button to it, after all if Apple has shown us anything it is that you only need one mouse button (or did they add more?).

The key I nearly never use, and hate the placement of on most keyboards, is caps lock.  On this laptop I often hit it when going for an a.  The same may be true on the Pandora keyboard with shift and a or when doing ', but I don't recall being as bothered by those as other things, and although it feels a little goofy, the domes prevent me from mistyping as often, plus the spacing between keys helps a lot.  Yes, I prefer the Pandora keyboard is better than the one on this laptop in some ways, and not just because someone pried off the T key and broke it.

I need to brush up on CDE before the Pyra gets to us.

So do I, but that's conflicted with a lot of games I've played so I keep having to turn it off again.  That conflict continuing to happen is a reason I may have enjoyed using two new buttons for the mouse instead.  But I wouldn't want to use the new buttons for that.
What if they were shoulder buttons that are only used in some games.  I don't know what you play most often, or if there would conflict with controls.

Maybe we should ask ED to add 2 extra buttons, since that is the title of the thread. :eek:

It makes most sense to me to keep ABXY as Home/End/PgDn/PgUp, for backwards compatibility and because it just makes sense to arrange them like that (a cross shape where up = pgup, down = pgdn, left = home, right = end, this is intuitive).

The two extra buttons could be anything, but Ins/Del makes a lot of sense because they are missing on the Pandora and they are useful enough to deserve dedicated buttons (e.g. I use Ins a lot to select files in mc).

Mouse clicks should be done with the nub clicks imo. Remember that the Pyra nubs will also be a button that can be clicked. AFAIK you can click the nub as long as it is close to the center position, so you could click+move (drag) but only at low speed. It makes most sense then to have left nub = mouse, right nub click = left mouse button, right nub = whatever (scroll wheel?), left nub click = right mouse button. That way you can do easy left click dragging.

It makes most sense to me to keep ABXY as Home/End/PgDn/PgUp, for backwards compatibility and because it just makes sense to arrange them like that (a cross shape where up = pgup, down = pgdn, left = home, right = end, this is intuitive).

The two extra buttons could be anything, but Ins/Del makes a lot of sense because they are missing on the Pandora and they are useful enough to deserve dedicated buttons (e.g. I use Ins a lot to select files in mc).

Mouse clicks should be done with the nub clicks imo. Remember that the Pyra nubs will also be a button that can be clicked. AFAIK you can click the nub as long as it is close to the center position, so you could click+move (drag) but only at low speed. It makes most sense then to have left nub = mouse, right nub click = left mouse button, right nub = whatever (scroll wheel?), left nub click = right mouse button. That way you can do easy left click dragging.
Nothing more to add.

I really didn't mean to derail this thread into mouse button talk.

I agree that insert and delete are good choices.  More so if other people use insert even a little more than I do.

With the Pandora nubs I cannot stand using the right nub as mouse buttons.  I tried it for a while, and found myself using the stylus to avoid using the nub to click on stuff.  This may be related to using it while it is sitting on a table or desk, but even holding it and using those to click seems odd, like it should be moving something.  My opinion will very likely change if I am using the Pyra nub button/click function instead of moving the right nub, even with the "reversed" buttons you suggest.  I won't know until I try it out, however it probably beats using a stylus for everything.

Back