15th Preorder Confirmed?

How about if pre-orders were taken, then on shipping day, they get sent out by order of Forum Member Number (oh dear, looks like I'm outta luck ;) ) hehehe -- then the veterans who have been around for ages, following this whole thing from the start will get priority over those like me who heard about the Pandora a mere 2 weeks ago when their GameBoy Advance purchased from eBay failed to satisfy his expectations with the crappy reflective color display (I still wince, twist, turn and crick my neck to try to see stuff on the screen...)

But all sorting algorithms aside, I will gracefully wait before ordering mine simply because I feel others here deserve to get theirs before I do. I figure a week should be enough to allow those who want to freebase their Pandora to order it and get it before me. If they're sold out before that, well perhaps the second batch won't be too far behind, but at least I didn't take one away from a die-hard fellow who will otherwise mug me in a dark alley to get his hands on it.

But the anticipation is none the less sweet, isn't it?

Exclusive preorders for gp32x users are a bad idea because there will most likely be no use for them anyway, it's very unlikely that the first batch will be sold out in less than a day. And if interest in the Pandora would really be that huge, imagine what would happen if it's official preorder day and there aren't any left. How would you explain that to the people who read about the Pandora in the more mainstream media, especially bloggers? "Sorry, no preorders for the general public, they're all gone already"?

That wouldn't make a terrific impression, amirite?

Fishbong, if there were an early preorder for forum members, it would obviously have a cap and be a limited preorder. If it weren't limited, then there would be no point in having it. ;)

And sverm, Craig and co. have stated NUMEROUS times (in this thread even) that systems will NOT be sent out according to anything based on forum membership. Everyone will get their product at the same time, and quite frankly, that's how it should be.

If they were handed out by user id, I'd still have a pretty good chance, seeing as how I joined before the pandora fuzz

I would very much hate it if they were handed out by user id, not because I have a high user id, but because that implies they've taken more preorders than they have product.

I can imagine a couple hundred being set aside though such that, if they sell out in a couple days and there are forum members that did not get one, they can order one of these. After a week, if everyone from the forum who wanted one has gotten one, they're turned back over to the masses. That would be how I'd do it.

Reading these threads reminds me of the time I walked into an Electronic Boutique store when the Playstation 2 was released. There was a small boy shouting at his mother "I MUST HAVE THE PLAYSTATION 2!" so loud I think everybody probably wanted to slap him. Seriously, I hope you guys all get the pandora thingy when it comes out. Hooray for you all. I'll let you early adopters pull it apart and start a decent user base before I retire my trusty GP2X :lol:

Anyway, I just logged in to ponder; Is this the first British games console since Alan Sugar produced the GX4000? Alright, I know strictly speaking this isn't being produced on British soil. But the thing is UK designed and funded right? I reckon that'd be a pretty god media angle. I can see Mr Stephen Fry himself championing the thing in the back of the Guardian, send one to that guy!

jaycee900 said:
I personally think with such a small 1st run of only 3000 units a limit as Craig has thought about of 1-2 per person should be in place, at least for the first batch....I just think its fairer all round and more supporters rather than batch buyers and resellers will be happy.
Seconded. Limit 2 per person should be enforced for the first batch.

I would like to know approximately WHEN on the 30th the per-orders will go up. Not exact time, but eg morning, afternoon or evening (GMT)? Just so that I can make sure I can make sure to be around a computer at the approximate time of day, which could be hard (for me) otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:
dak said:
WHHHOOOOAAAA

Hold your horses guys. I think Craig & co should take their time and really nail the Pandora down. You know playtest and perfect it.
I think pre-orders shouldn't start until around summer 2009.
I love satire. Sad thing is, I'm sure 95% of the Pandora Protection Patrol would agree with you in a heart beat.

I'm actually going to be surprised if anyone gets one before 2009.

chad78 said:
dak said:
WHHHOOOOAAAA

Hold your horses guys. I think Craig & co should take their time and really nail the Pandora down. You know playtest and perfect it.
I think pre-orders shouldn't start until around summer 2009.
I love satire. Sad thing is, I'm sure 95% of the Pandora Protection Patrol would agree with you in a heart beat.

I SO want you to be wrong, but at this point, I'd tend to lean more towards your statement than just relying on the word of speculating team members...

chad78 said:
Well, I said that last year at this time, when they were still touting a "Spring 2008" release date... Granted, I will put my money down for a Pandora on the first day of preorders, but honestly, if they ship before Christmas, the accomplishment stands as nothing short of Herculean! What Craig and Co. have accomplished over the last year is very, very impressive - they have my unqualified admiration and respect for having brought it this far, this fast.

chad78 said:
Optimistic as always. Truly a model forum member.

On topic, I'm also kinda against preorders by member number. Maybe mods (because there are so few) should get a unit guaranteed, but doing the entire forum community = big no-no.

chad78 said:
Sad thing is, I'm sure 95% of the Pandora Protection Patrol would agree with you in a heart beat.
By the way, Pandora Protection Force meetings begin late next week. We decided against "P3" because it would be confused with an older x86 chip on the market that people like to compare the Cortex to.

AireTamStorm said:
On topic, I'm also kinda against preorders by member number.
No, of course not. I was going just for giggles. Obviously first come, first served makes sense. But I won't be surprised if the order web site (if that's the way orders will be processed) will be a little slow on the day of the 30th.

I too doubt we'll see the Pandora this year. Let's face it, there's not even a final working prototype as of today and release is in 1-2 months, no real news of final gui or distro implementation, lack of distribution news, no production details, there are way too many things still in the air that point to Pandora being in a way less than ready state a for final release.

My humble opinion is that the team need the money from pre-orders for payment of some part of the production costs, so they're charging way sooner to meet those bills, when normally pre-orders charge your credit card when the items ships and not sooner, after that then we'll see more final stuff about Pandora.

I hope I'm wrong but so many products from big companies get delays with way more final hardware, logistics, production lines and all, that the current state of Pandora doesn't give me big hopes for 2008 release.

White Demon said:
jaycee900 said:
I personally think with such a small 1st run of only 3000 units a limit as Craig has thought about of 1-2 per person should be in place, at least for the first batch....I just think its fairer all round and more supporters rather than batch buyers and resellers will be happy.

Seconded. Limit 2 per person should be enforced for the first batch.
I wonder just how many people are going to pre-order? It would be a shame if people missed out whilst others had bought two. Alternatively, it would be really bad for the developers if they restricted it to one per person, denying many their extra unit(s) and ending up with some left over. Probably wouldn't be left over for long though...

RocketRanger said:
Anyway, I just logged in to ponder; Is this the first British games console since Alan Sugar produced the GX4000? Alright, I know strictly speaking this isn't being produced on British soil. But the thing is UK designed and funded right? I reckon that'd be a pretty god media angle. I can see Mr Stephen Fry himself championing the thing in the back of the Guardian, send one to that guy!
Rick Dickinson he who designed the Speccy, designed the Gizmondo, so thats British designed, though its VERY hard to say how that was funded lol :lol: I don't know if blood money is nationlised!
Though thinking about it I know alot of 'parts' in games consoles were British designed, i.e the SVP chip in Megadrive Virtua Racing, the VR arcade machines were British designed, wasn't that Konix multisystem chair thing British? Plus different chips in Dreamcast, Nintendo, Sega machines were British, so despite not having many true British consoles we have certainly helped alot in the past in other aspects of gaming hardware.

jaycee900 said:
I know alot of 'parts' in games consoles were British designed, i.e the SVP chip in Megadrive Virtua Racing
Where did you get that from? SVP is really Samsung DSP with a bit of additional hardware.

notaz said:
jaycee900 said:
I know alot of 'parts' in games consoles were British designed, i.e the SVP chip in Megadrive Virtua Racing
Where did you get that from? SVP is really Samsung DSP with a bit of additional hardware.

SuperFX chip was designed by Argonaut Games which was British based, but that doesn't have anything to do with Pandora preorders. =)

Back