Zeenginegp2x Preview

Just looked at this last night -- damn impressive, Optimus! I'd love to see a demo scene emerge on the GP2X, that was one of my fave parts of the miggy years.

This is incredible for a "preview"

I got my TV-Cable and GP2X ($205 all told from Play-Asia, ordered Teus, received Thurs. FROM HK!! Used the 1-4 days UPS Courier option)

This looks pretty darn good on the TV, it works fine and I can see everything pretty clearly on my TV (many will notice that their TV's have overscan, I have my telly set for the slightest bit of underscan, the same as my PC monitors, aah the benefits of knowing the key-combo to your Service menu :D)

It doesn't seem any slower and it is possible that if you rendered to a larger framebuffer it would all come out full-res on the TV, I believe the MMSP2 sends the data scaled up or down to the output (LCD or TV) as the media and screen pixel depth require automatically.

But we would be talking about almost 4X the pixels, which means more optimizations :) :), but I am sure that was your plan all along (the optimizing, not the higher-res TV output.)

A thought on what to do with this engine might be to use it for a Music Visualization of some sort, can you scale the models real time? Or parts of them?

It doesn't seem any slower and it is possible that if you rendered to a larger framebuffer it would all come out full-res on the TV, I believe the MMSP2 sends the data scaled up or down to the output (LCD or TV) as the media and screen pixel depth require automatically.

Mmm.. the GP2X turns to be damn more impressive than what I thought. I didn't knew it can get higher resolutions on TV. Which are the maximum resolutions it can get? Or do I just provide an SDL buffer and it scales it automatically to the res of my TV Set? Well, maybe the simple objects (teapot) and wireframe/dot might be still fast enough for 640*480, but the rest really need some optimizing for that. I guess when I buy a cable I'll make the first tests.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mmm.. the GP2X turns to be damn more impressive than what I thought. I didn't knew it can get higher resolutions on TV. Which are the maximum resolutions it can get? Or do I just provide an SDL buffer and it scales it automatically to the res of my TV Set? Well, maybe the simple objects (teapot) and wireframe/dot might be still fast enough for 640*480, but the rest really need some optimizing for that. I guess when I buy a cable I'll make the first tests.

Sure, the Conexant chip (see the link in my sig to Hardware and find the CX chip, that is our TV encoder) does indeed support many things including up to 1024x768 @60hz VGA/RGB/HDTV, but since GPH has only put enough traces off of it to the EXT for S-Video you are going to be stuck with regular TV res, PAL or NTSC. 500 something by 400 something if I recall correctly and am vague enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
nice !!!
Now, make a real cpc emulator on GP2X... i want too see yours demos running this
handheld ;)

Unfortunatelly I am currently inactive due to the obligatory army duty in Greece. My and my friends at team.gc-soft.gr were positively thinking about developing games for the GP2X with this engine. Our plans are postponed atm but not abandoned..

As for the engine, there is an unreleased preview showing off a 10000 polygons Porsche running around 15-20fps and a bunny model with 60000 running at 2-3fps. Maybe I'll release that preview with the source code next time I will be back home.. (maybe in 1-2+ weeks from now)

Obligatory army duty? Sheesh. :p Out of curiosity, these are flat-shaded polys; solid colored, textured? .. Either way that is impressive for a software renderer on an integer-only ARM platform... Very good work.

Anybody who ventures into doing 3D games on the gp2x is going to be in need of good models. For our purposes, a good model has the smallest possible triangle count. That's the absolutely critical ingredient. Modeling a car with 1000 triangles is okay, but for a gp2x racing game, the cars would much rather be 200 triangles. If you can do that and still make them look good, your work will be in demand!

You know, I've been experimenting with this of late (I want some 3D games on here too!). In particular, I'm best at structures and plants, but I have gotten a Toyota Trueno down to 160 triangles (before tailpipe). Ive also got some pixel art skills, and can do good textures at 32x32 or 64x64 (940T cache-friendly sizes).

Is there someone out there either with a need for a specific model, or keeping a repository of low-tri-count models for use in GP2X games? I'd be happy to contribute.

Back