Wizsticks Preview

For the WIZ? Oh I forgot. I though noone's gonna have one, anyway.
There's some firmware trouble ATM, so I'll release when it's settled.

KungPhoo said:
I'm actually helping to beta test firmware for GPH (The latest was sent to me today) and am trying to get as much software as I can to test on it. It's true the firmware has the odd problem, but that's because it's still basically beta and us folk that have pre-production units are the guinea pigs :). Hopefully we will catch all the bugs before it's officially released.

I would love to help test Wizsticks though.

Last edited by a moderator:
WarmFluffyUK said:
KungPhoo said:
I'm actually helping to beta test firmware for GPH (The latest was sent to me today) and am trying to get as much software as I can to test on it. It's true the firmware has the odd problem, but that's because it's still basically beta and us folk that have pre-production units are the guinea pigs :). Hopefully we will catch all the bugs before it's officially released.

Kungphoo is an official developer and the creator of GL Basic i think. I believe he is more than capable of testing himself as he will more likely be looking for bugs in GLbasic than in his game.

Peter R said:
WarmFluffyUK said:
KungPhoo said:

Kungphoo is an official developer and the creator of GL Basic i think. I believe he is more than capable of testing himself as he will more likely be looking for bugs in GLbasic than in his game.

One can always do with an extra pair of eyes, from experience I know that nobody can singularly test software. Others always find ways of breaking it :D

And anyway, I'm only offering to help.

Very nice game! I love these kinda " puzzle / action / don't try this when you're stressed " games.

I think the engine of this game has the ability to make something like http://www.pocketgamer.org/reviews/action/reckless/
One of my favorite Pocket PC games, but had only 9 levels. Pretty basic concept, try to find the exit within a certain time without hitting the walls.

WarmFluffyUK said:
darkriku said:
Cool so now i have a homebrew game to play day one. :D thank you
Actually the Wiz will have a bunch of homebrew games on it from day one :)

Thank you this has been the only game ive seen since ive joined this community but i trust you and well im excited now !

darkriku said:
WarmFluffyUK said:
darkriku said:
Cool so now i have a homebrew game to play day one. :D thank you
Actually the Wiz will have a bunch of homebrew games on it from day one :)

Thank you this has been the only game ive seen since ive joined this community but i trust you and well im excited now !

I know of a few games that will be supplied on the nand:
Mini Game Project (Contains various mini games)
Myriad (Updated GFX plus Touchscreen support)
BangGP
Blingo2008
BoomShine2X
Snake on Dope
Space Varments
Square Tower Defence
Tale Tail
Poker2X
Wind & Water
Kaiten Patesserie

There will also be some flash games.

So WizSticks is an actual game then? If so, WOW! Will this only be available for the Wiz? Shame if it is. <_<

KungPhoo said:
OK, I uploaded a version with a .wiz.gpe.
That's excellent, but it doesn't appear to work on the Wiz. When you launch it, the screen flickers once but it stays on the launch screen and then hangs. :(

KungPhoo said:
As I said, there's some firmware trouble ATM. Do you have the latest fw installed?
Oddly enough the latest firmware (which came out yesterday) crashed my Wiz, so I have gone back to 0.17 temporarily. GPH are sending me a USB cable so I can access the NAND and update it manually. May I ask what firmware you're testing it on?

Forgive me if I am wrong though, the firmware isn't really firmware in the strictest sense, it's basically an updated Linux build on the NAND isn't it?

This looks nice, and I hope you port it to the Pandora too, but I don't understand why it is so slow on the GP2X? The Wiz does not support floating point any more that the GP2X does, so what exactly is slowing this down on the old 2X? It just looks like it would make a great GP2X game too with the touch screen.

(Sorry I'm always curious about optimisation issues)

The particles and the pixel perfect collisions are the main slowdown problems for GP2X slowness.

Porting to Pandora will be no problem, once there is Pandora.

The latest firmware and uboot should give you a 240x320 back buffer.

Yes, seriously broken by trying to get OpenGL|Es in. I uploaded it again, this time it worked for me. Soz.

Back