Cam2x

Lithosphere

Still Fresh
My entry for the GBAX 2007 Competition is called CAM2X.

cam2x.jpg

It includes a library, an application, a game and some drivers.

The drivers are needed for getting your webcam working on the GP2X. You need a BoB / usb cable to connect your webcam to your GP2X.

You will need a specific driver for your webcam. More info about this can be found in the readme.

Latest version: http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,6,2235

Some videos of it:

Photocam2x:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6E_GA9xEkg

Puzzlecam2x:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg3g2oMxZ-U

If your webcam isn't supported, post the name of the webcam or even better the linux driver, and I'll try to compile it for the GP2X.

Photos of GP2X with webcam:

Compilation of a kernel module (it's a boring movie :p ): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E714lWM5JCQ

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done on actually using the power of the BoB, I think its getting ignored.
Would it be possible to have the PS2 Eyetoy supported. Its what I use as a webcam. I dont have linux so I only have windows drivers for it

foleyjo said:
Well done on actually using the power of the BoB, I think its getting ignored.
Would it be possible to have the PS2 Eyetoy supported. Its what I use as a webcam. I dont have linux so I only have windows drivers for it
Yes, the eyetoy webcam is supported. You have to load the ov51x driver.

i was hoping you'd point the camera at the gp2x while the software was up. i guess i'll have to buy a webcam if i want to try that :)

thanks and congratulations, cam2x looks cool and original, i'm sure youtube doesn't do the happiness of seeing a camera feed on the 2x justice.

wow, sounds great, now where do i have to kook up my cam? to the usb at the gp2x? external port? and can we expect an "electronic mirror" function, so i could use it as an electronic back-mirror in my car?

manhill said:
wow, sounds great, now where do i have to kook up my cam? to the usb at the gp2x? external port? and can we expect an "electronic mirror" function, so i could use it as an electronic back-mirror in my car?
You need the cradle with USB ports. The UsB host cable from ARTaylor will propably not work as it provides power poorly, unless you have a powered USB hub. (Somehow the Cradle seems to work with many usb devices that the cable failed to power)

Great work Lithosphere! Taking the advantage of a beta tester, my two webcams both work great. The better webcam you have the better image quality you'll get. ;)

Miika said:
I didn't get it to work with my Logitech QuickCam Zoom.
I'll try to compile the latest version of the pwc driver for 2.4.25. If I can get it working, I will post it here.

manhill said:
Yes that would certainly be possible. You can check in the libcam2x folder for a example on you can make your own program with some basic functions: "OpenCamera(), GetNewFrame() and CloseCamera()".

Miika said:
manhill said:
You need the cradle with USB ports. The UsB host cable from ARTaylor will propably not work as it provides power poorly, unless you have a powered USB hub. (Somehow the Cradle seems to work with many usb devices that the cable failed to power)

No you don't really need extra power, my webcam works fine with ARTaylor's cable (my webcam uses max 70mA). Some webcams could need more power, but some small webcams without autobrightness/jpeg compression,... should work.

Keep in mind: all webcam traffic has to go over usb 1.1, so max 12 Mbps. This is only a couple of frames per second for 320x240, for larger resolutions, this is even lower. JPEG compression could make the images smaller and make them transfer faster, but you have to decode the JPEG images.

Keep in mind: all webcam traffic has to go over usb 1.1, so max 12 Mbps. This is only a couple of frames per second for 320x240

Can't you read from the camera in 8 bit YUV mode? That should get you about 20fps at 320x240. I know my old webcam can do that, it predates usb2.0 though, so maybe newer cams can only output RGB.

Any chance of adding the driver for the original logitech quickcam express? (late 90s version, not the completey different one they call by the same name now) I'd love to have a play with this. (unless its already supported and my cam is broken of course :D)

deathterrapin said:
Keep in mind: all webcam traffic has to go over usb 1.1, so max 12 Mbps. This is only a couple of frames per second for 320x240

Can't you read from the camera in 8 bit YUV mode? That should get you about 20fps at 320x240. I know my old webcam can do that, it predates usb2.0 though, so maybe newer cams can only output RGB.

Any chance of adding the driver for the original logitech quickcam express? (late 90s version, not the completey different one they call by the same name now) I'd love to have a play with this. (unless its already supported and my cam is broken of course :D)

I was trying to send you a new driver thank should work with your logitech quickcam. But your inbox is full. Any other way I can contact you?

[edit] I also added some photos of the gp2x and my webcam[/edit]

I've added driver support for some new webcams (using the pwc driver and the quickcam). If you have such a webcam please test. I haven't added cropping support in the drivers. So if the driver recognizes your camera, /dev/video0 exists but you don't get some frames in the test program, let me know.

http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,6,2235

deathterrapin said:

Does the gp2x have enough processing power to be able to capture video of this kind of quality in realtime? I have experimented with v4l capture and I found using ffmpeg's MJPEG capture provided the best image quality, I presumed because it was the least cpu intensive format to encode to. I use xdtv to capture analogue video under X11, but I don't have a webcam right now.

Doesn't the 2x's co-pro feature hardware MPEG4 compression? If it does then the 2X could become a VCD quality camera if combined with the right webcam

danboid said:
Does the gp2x have enough processing power to be able to capture video of this kind of quality in realtime? I have experimented with v4l capture and I found using ffmpeg's MJPEG capture provided the best image quality, I presumed because it was the least cpu intensive format to encode to. I use xdtv to capture analogue video under X11, but I don't have a webcam right now.

If you overclock a bit it might be possible. But grabbing from a eyetoy camera with jpeg compression and 640x480 was about 1 fps (I have not tried it myself, but others have), it is slower than uncompressed 320x240 rgb. Every webcam has other performance, I guess it also depends on what drivers you use.

danboid said:
Doesn't the 2x's co-pro feature hardware MPEG4 compression? If it does then the 2X could become a VCD quality camera if combined with the right webcam
The hardware mpeg4 DEcompression can not be used unless in the mplayer program, at least for now. There is a binary kernel module and I guess it is possible but very complicated to use it and get it working in other programs, I think no one has ever tried it. As far as I know there is no hardware to compress a video stream, so you can only use it to decode a stream.

I was just wondering the other day if something like this was available. Good to see that someone's working on it!

Just picked up a new webcam, so I hope it works. It's a Quickcam Pro for Notebooks (the newest model).

Going to have to get a cable to test this.

Back