Your requests for Pyra videos

Telegram has an open source desktop client that is in most linux repos. No idea about whatsapp though.
Oh, I knew Telegram had Linux clients but had no idea it was open sourced. . .It is the program I use to talk to my family, it had better working audio on their cappy Internet than watsapp so I'm happy to see it running.

GPU is not working.

That's an issue. This really needs to be fixed... T_T

DE/wms can be changed with a simple logoff/login. Same as on PC

I figured, but I wanted to see how environments that were not Mate looked on the device.

Pyra Button does what the Pandora button does. Brings up the main menu of Mate. Needs to be configured by hand.

That's unfortunate. Hopefully this changes. The Pandora button was pretty useless entirely because it was never tied to some ubiquitous function like every other game console does.

-God Ginrai

The Pandora button brings up the xfce menu when I press it. A lot quicker than moving the mouse there then clicking it, especially if you have a broken touchscreen.

The Pandora button brings up the xfce menu when I press it. A lot quicker than moving the mouse there then clicking it, especially if you have a broken touchscreen.

"This is useful because there is an issue with my device" should never be a reason for a feature. It makes much more sense for the button to bring up an overlay where you can do pertinent things like kill your running app, tweak particularly important settings on the fly, (like turn wifi and BT on and off) etc.

-God Ginrai

It makes much more sense for the button to bring up an overlay where you can do pertinent things like kill your running app
It does. Hold the Pandora button for five seconds and a kill menu comes up. It's in the manual.

when are you gonna code it?
I already did, at least a proof of concept. It didn't seem to get a lot of interest and then I lost the code. Not that it was any good, it was just sort of hacked together from pieces to demonstrate some basic functionality.

I already did, at least a proof of concept. It didn't seem to get a lot of interest and then I lost the code. Not that it was any good, it was just sort of hacked together from pieces to demonstrate some basic functionality.
Can you even remember how it worked? I remember looking at notaz's "Live system info" app which created a video overlay that was always visible (even within fullscreen apps), but didn't capture any keyboard input, and I went down many rabbit holes looking for ways to inject visuals onto the screen regardless if the user was within a fullscreen app or not... then I moved to a library with the idea it be included within apps to add functionality.
I'm interested in having another look at building something... but take that with a pinch of salt... I can't remember the last time I got a project to a publicly releasable state, never mind actually publicly release it

Can you even remember how it worked?
Of course. Mostly. There's 3 graphic buffers in the GPU and by default it draws them in layers. Most stuff draws to... I think it was layer 2. I configured the third frame buffer to be the top layer, made it 800x480 32 bit colour (RGBA, with alpha blending) and literally just drew on it.
One of the problems was that it was just a memory buffer: 1.5MB array and I needed manually draw lines and circles and text. This was coded up in a weekend so it didn't look good but it worked. My plan was to get GTK or some other windowing front end to handle all that but I couldn't get the buffer output to work. And then, unrelated, I decided to wipe my computer and install a new flavour of linux without making sure I backed up my workspace folder.

but didn't capture any keyboard input
Yeah, that was the biggest issue, acquiring key presses. Since it needed to run as a root user it had no problem directly accessing the keyboard, but I think when it did that it broke anything else that was using it even when released. Memory hazy.
I had all kinds of plans, like a text editor for taking notes and drawing maps and stuff, but none of that is possible if you can't grab the keyboard and then return it to whatever was using it before.

I had all kinds of plans, like a text editor for taking notes and drawing maps and stuff, but none of that is possible if you can't grab the keyboard and then return it to whatever was using it before
Here's an idea - not sure if it's possible to do though?

Linux lets you create new virtual keyboards (and presumably mice etc. as well)... So could you create a daemon that runs, which takes exclusive access to the keyboard/mouse/touchscreen, duplicates them all virtually, then basically relays events from the hardware device to the virtual device? If you could do that, well you could prevent the relay when the overlay is active, and the application underneath (who'd only receive the virtual device events) would never know.
I just don't know Linux enough to know if you could take exclusive control of a device

fixed that for you

Wait, really? Can you elaborate?

It does. Hold the Pandora button for five seconds and a kill menu comes up. It's in the manual.

Yes, I'm quite aware. However, this feature didn't come for quite a while, and that only brought up a way to kill apps. It wasn't actually an overlay that you could get over any of your running apps.

Plus, that was only in DE mode. In MM, the Pandora button would just exit the app. We need a consistent interaction for this button no matter what you are using as a launcher.

-God Ginrai

If we do go the overlay route, the Pyra button should only do that in fullscreen programs. In windowed programs/on the desktop, it should just open the menu.

EDIT: With an option to exclusively do one or the other, of course.

The Pyra button (and Pandora button for that matter) are supposed to be 'Super' buttons akin to shift, alt, ctrl and Fn.

In the above two examples there are two functions described:
press and release = menu
press and hold = task management

But - the button has the theoretical capability of being used as a modifier for any key on the system.

In the keyboard design, the Pyra button is 'left super' and the lid switch is 'right super' (though I may have left/right backwards on that). The idea there is that doing so allows the lid switch to act as a shift type key - which means that the shoulders can have one use/function with the lid open and another function with the lid closed.

Personally, I had planned to use the Pyra button as an additional programmable key macro layer. Essentially tie Pyra+G to input/fill "Grench" or "sshfs myname@servername:~/myname" and similar type bindings.

Maybe someone could write an application where Pyra+O launches an on-screen overlay and Pyra+K toggles the keyboard to/from the overlay? Either should be captured as keyboard codes.

The Pyra button (and Pandora button for that matter) are supposed to be 'Super' buttons akin to shift, alt, ctrl and Fn.

In the above two examples there are two functions described:
press and release = menu
press and hold = task management

But - the button has the theoretical capability of being used as a modifier for any key on the system.

In the keyboard design, the Pyra button is 'left super' and the lid switch is 'right super' (though I may have left/right backwards on that). The idea there is that doing so allows the lid switch to act as a shift type key - which means that the shoulders can have one use/function with the lid open and another function with the lid closed.

Personally, I had planned to use the Pyra button as an additional programmable key macro layer. Essentially tie Pyra+G to input/fill "Grench" or "sshfs myname@servername:~/myname" and similar type bindings.

Maybe someone could write an application where Pyra+O launches an on-screen overlay and Pyra+K toggles the keyboard to/from the overlay? Either should be captured as keyboard codes.

Maybe a program that gives the ability to the user to make there own key bindings to trigger commands & customize a overlay/menu.
No promises but I may be interested in making such a program when my Pyra is shipped!
[doublepost=1523553799,1523553277][/doublepost]Something that maybe looks like this (except it's not a crudly drawn MSPaint)
tzDS6Yz.png

[/spoiler]

The way it works is when the Pyra key is held down this window should appear and then you can select a button(via clicking or dpad) or use a key bind. the window closes the second you let go of the Pyra key.

Last edited:
I use it for two ways now:
Pyra: Bring up Menu
Pyra + Select (Both next to each other): Launch Terminal

That's both pretty handy to have.
[doublepost=1523553934,1523553833][/doublepost]
Maybe a program that gives the ability to the user to make there own key bindings to trigger commands & customize a overlay/menu.

Customize the Pyra button is as simple as it can be.
No program needed.
It's a keyboard setting in the desktop environment.
I specify the command and then press the button I want it to execute.

I use it for two ways now:
Pyra: Bring up Menu
Pyra + Select (Both next to each other): Launch Terminal

That's both pretty handy to have.
[doublepost=1523553934,1523553833][/doublepost]

Customize the Pyra button is as simple as it can be.
No program needed.
It's a keyboard setting in the desktop environment.
I specify the command and then press the button I want it to execute.
Oh that's nice

I might still want to make a overlay for my self, but that gets rid of a lot of work!
(I want a quick select overlay thing with dpad)
I will most likely make it display notifications, unread inbox count & last SMS!

from what I have read SMS will be easy, it's just AT commands via serial

An updated badly made MSPaint depiction of what I want to make:)
XIKpHou.png

Last edited:
I used the Pandora button all the time, I'd hit it and the navigate the menu with the dpad, it was lots faster/easier than the stylus. Leaving it that way on a desktop I'd be for. I k ow it could have a lot more useful functions but I like it how it is. On a minimenue or in games/emulators that function is kinda pointless though. . .

I used the Pandora button all the time, I'd hit it and the navigate the menu with the dpad, it was lots faster/easier than the stylus. Leaving it that way on a desktop I'd be for. I k ow it could have a lot more useful functions but I like it how it is. On a minimenue or in games/emulators that function is kinda pointless though. . .
Well I was wanting to make them selecable quicly using the dpad
And for may peoples use case, the desktop environment is plenty!;)

I do want to make clear, I am not proposing this as a defualt or standerd, I'm making this mainly for my self & for any one who wants this kind of feature! :)
I believe that the default system should be light and not filled with bloat & let the users install what they want.

Back