You Want To Do More With Your Pandora Tutorial

chris_c

I´m considering putting together a small set of tutorials for the Pandora

aimed at people with only a little Linux exposure - the Pandora might be you first brush with the exotic !

I´d like to hear what people are most interested in learning about.

Tutorials will be simple to follow and in English not tech!

The first tutorials would cover making a boot SD and customizing it - the reasons for this...

space - NAND space is limited
safety - you can experiment to death with an OS on a SD card - bugger it up - no problem reboot without the sd card and everything is back where you started

ideas for coverage
quick method of backing up an sd card on a linux desktop
installing software from angstrom repository - what not to do and what you can get away with
writing scripts with gui dialogues like the Pandora specific system scripts
compiling C source on board the Pandora - setting up a dev environment

any other ideas for me?

chris_c said:
The first tutorials would cover making a boot SD and customizing it

That sounds superb, would be really interested in a clear guide on how to do this.

My only suggestion for you is that you post these tutorials on the Pandora Wiki.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a big fan of the tutorial for installing from the repository. Overall sounds like a great idea and very useful. Thanks.

LGR

What a great idea! :)

It's good to see the amount of usefull posts growing whilst I have to wait for the queue jumpers to get their Pandora's first. :p

At least I'll be able to get stuck right in when I eventually get mine.

Most important is to write in big friendly letters "Don't Panic" at the top of your tutorial.

As someone who's been using microsoft operating systems for about 15 years, linux is difficult for me only in one aspect. There are too many versions, they're all different, the info is out there but there is too much of it. When I want to find something out, I really don't know what i'm looking for because I don't know the terminology.

To my knowledge, many versions of linux do not have a control panel, no driver/device properties, etc etc. When I need to change something, I have to access the terminal and already know the commands and syntax. If I plug in a usb device, I don't know if it's actually working properly or how to get it working properly.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not complaining, if I had the time I would love to learn linux and the many variants of unix, but it requires patience time and a good source of information, which is getting more and more segregated every day.

I registered a domain for setting up pandora tutorials, but I haven't yet got the site off of the ground. If you're serious about writing tutorials, perhaps I can get some hosting and set up a place for you to put them..

just my 2 1/2 cents

most of this stuff is covered in the vid-a-days ED did, so the only thing that comes to mind would be some terminal command explanations, as thats where new linux users suffer the most

I was thinking about asking for this once I receive my Pandora, but if you can couple Gruso's info along with other "commonly known" linux shortcuts (such as being able to see a window that is cut off at the bottom) in a wiki entry that would be a dream come true!

Mounting a Windows network share. You could cover auto-mounting, working with fstab, and using applications to mount shares.

johnz1 said:
Mounting a Windows network share. You could cover auto-mounting, working with fstab, and using applications to mount shares.
Don't have access to any windows box's - windows is far too difficult for me.

chris_c said:
I´m considering putting together a small set of tutorials for the Pandora

aimed at people with only a little Linux exposure - the Pandora might be you first brush with the exotic !

I´d like to hear what people are most interested in learning about.

Tutorials will be simple to follow and in English not tech!

The first tutorials would cover making a boot SD and customizing it - the reasons for this...

space - NAND space is limited
safety - you can experiment to death with an OS on a SD card - bugger it up - no problem reboot without the sd card and everything is back where you started

ideas for coverage
quick method of backing up an sd card on a linux desktop
installing software from angstrom repository - what not to do and what you can get away with
writing scripts with gui dialogues like the Pandora specific system scripts
compiling C source on board the Pandora - setting up a dev environment

any other ideas for me?
A huge yes please!

It would appear, that to get the most from our Pandoras we are going to have to use some terminal 'stuff'. For those of us with only a little (or zero) linux experience, some specific hand holding would be fantastic. Just knowing what system folders are relevant to which parts of the OS (as you explained in another thread) along with telling it in a non techie way really helped improve my limited knowledge.

From my perspective, we should post these tutorials on pandora-press .. no need for another site, I think ..

Anyway I'm going to work on my next 'bollocks' series for newbie programmers who don't know where to start and want some help getting set up to do a 3D project, or so on ..

this sounds like a great idea! im very keen to learn what i can do to make my pandora fully customized, from changing shapes, colours, sizes and almost every aspect of my desktop, if any1 is willing to do a tut on desktop customization for n00bs, that would be awesome and id love forever!

Back